cookie33

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2005
The great Caulfield
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton/Bullants
I think at the end of this I'm going to put together a BF best 22 based on these responses. Probably a fair representation of what users here think! It's been a great discussion point.

1. Sam Jacobs - Adel
2. Aaron Sandilands - Fre
3. Nic Nac - Wce
4. Todd Goldstein - Nth
5. Shane Mumford - GSW
6. Stefan Martin - Bri
7. Paddy Ryder - Port ( hard one)
8. Ivan Maric - Rich
9. Matthew Leaunberger - Bri
10. Will Minson - Wb

Unlucky - Cox and Clarke

Could jump to top 10 by end of season - McEvoy, Zac Smith, Redden, Lycett

Footy 1st

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Goldstein /Jacobs
Sandilands / Mumford

Naitanui

Ryder / Martin

Maric / Hale / Leuenberger

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think at the end of this I'm going to put together a BF best 22 based on these responses. Probably a fair representation of what users here think! It's been a great discussion point.

1. Sam Jacobs - Adel
3. Nic Nac - Wce
4. Todd Goldstein - Nth
5. Shane Mumford - GSW
6. Stefan Martin - Bri
8. Ivan Maric - Rich
10. Will Minson - Wb

Unlucky - Cox and Clarke

Dean cox is unlucky?

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS

1. Sam Jacobs - Adel
3. Nic Nac - Wce
4. Todd Goldstein - Nth
5. Shane Mumford - GSW
6. Stefan Martin - Bri
8. Ivan Maric - Rich
10. Will Minson - Wb

Unlucky - Cox and Clarke

Cox retired mate. Unless u mean mason cox?

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jacobs
Nic Nac
Sandilands
Mumford
Goldstein
Martin
Ryder
Lobbe
Leunberger
Minson

Brisbane could be huge improvers if they find a few goal kickers, midfield will be as good as any and they'll get plenty of first use.

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
Surprised Jacobs is rated so highly. He is a good ruckman but he is an old fashioned ruck who uses his body (and taps well) to assist with clearances.

He doesn't kick goals and takes very few marks.

When I rate rucks, I rate those who can take a mark, kick a goal and assist in clearances.

I'm not saying Jacobs is not one of the better rucks at the moment. Just that I rate others higher.

I suggest building a table of criteria for the qualities required in a ruck and then start "ticking the boxes". I never rated Sandilands as high as many others on here but he has improved out of sight in his marking skills. He is now a standout to me along with Naitanui (when fit). I also like Goldstein.

If people rate Jacobs then they have to include Minson alongside him as they are very similar players.

The part timers like Ryder are very good but don't play there full time.

Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Surprised Jacobs is rated so highly. He is a good ruckman but he is an old fashioned ruck who uses his body (and taps well) to assist with clearances.

He doesn't kick goals and takes very few marks.

When I rate rucks, I rate those who can take a mark, kick a goal and assist in clearances.

I'm not saying Jacobs is not one of the better rucks at the moment. Just that I rate others higher.

I suggest building a table of criteria for the qualities required in a ruck and then start "ticking the boxes". I never rated Sandilands as high as many others on here but he has improved out of sight in his marking skills. He is now a standout to me along with Naitanui (when fit). I also like Goldstein.

If people rate Jacobs then they have to include Minson alongside him as they are very similar players.

The part timers like Ryder are very good but don't play there full time.
You do understand the role of a ruckman? To give his team first use of the ball by tapping it to his rovers advantage. Perhaps this should be a criteria?

Aug 20, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtics , England FC
1. Mumford
2. Goldstein
3. Lobbe
4. Ryder
5. Nic Nat
6. Bellchambers
7. Maric
8. McEvoy
9. Jacobs
10. Sandilands

seinfeld_no_thanks.gif

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
I wouldn't call someone averaging 26 hit outs per game across 21 games a part-time ruckman.

Wrong choice of words. You know what I mean though. Ryder has the potential to be a very good ruckman. He is playing as a forward first and foremost though...other than through injuries to others.

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
You do understand the role of a ruckman? To give his team first use of the ball by tapping it to his rovers advantage. Perhaps this should be a criteria?

It is...under assist in clearances.

Winning taps means nothing to me unless they are to advantage. I don't care to hear about how many taps a ruckman gets unless further quantified.

And I'm an ex ruck.

Jacobs is far from being the best ruck in the comp. He is ahead of many others but not in the top bracket for mine.

Back