The 10 most important races in Australia

The_Doctor

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah the Guineas is a very good race, just imo i would have it at around 5. I would also rate the Caulfield Cup probably one higher than the Doncaster

GeeUUess

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2011
Essendon
AFL Club
GWS
Ballarat Cup?? Really
Thought that the Kilmore Cup would be before the Ballarat Cup
Admittedly Ballarat is at the bottom of the list, just a toss up between a few I'm a bit here nor there whether its actual top 10. However its definitely better than the Kilmore Cup.
The Kilmore Cup is just a shade of days gone by. $70,000 in prizemoney from memory now, Ballarat Cup is up over the $100,000 mark.
In recent years Kilmore Cup field has just about been upstaged the $20,000 Popular Alm Sprint on the same meeting while the Ballarat Cup takes centre stage the week before the Vic Cup.
This year Bitobliss beat a substandard Kilmore Cup (Make Mine Cullen won the year before) while the Ballarat Cup was the big match race between Smoken Up and Sushi Sushi.

For the racing industry as a whole, I think the slipper is the most important.
The slipper sustains the racing industry.
Sadly the slipper has in fact probably harmed the industry more than any other race.

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle
I strongly disagree, i think 99% of people you ask would say it's the Melbourne cup. How anybody else can think any different is bazaar to me.

How many past Melbourne cup winners go on to become quality breeding sires? Not many is the answer.

The Australian racing industry is dominated by sprinting races.
You look at your typical racing card and you'll find most races are 1000m,1100m,1200m,1300m,1400m,1500m and 1600m.

Aussie Assault

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Probably hasn't had the time yet to mature, but the Queen Elizabeth (Sydney's version) will become a big target for both local & internationals given the prize money thrown at it.

I'd also add the Lightning. Mainly for the viewing pleasure given our quality of sprinters is usually top shelf.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably hasn't had the time yet to mature, but the Queen Elizabeth (Sydney's version) will become a big target for both local & internationals given the prize money thrown at it.

I'd also add the Lightning. Mainly for the viewing pleasure given our quality of sprinters is usually top shelf.
is the QE2 going to be worth $4m?

Back