BigFooty Official The 2013 BigFooty Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

13. Matt Crouch (180cm, 78kg midfielder - North Ballarat Rebels)

39. Darcy Hourigan (192cm, 92kg forward - South Adelaide)

51. Malcolm Karpany (176cm, 72kg forward - Woodville West Torrens)

69. Jacob Chisari (175cm, 73kg midfielder - Bendigo Pioneers)

There have been some comments rating the picks so far. Mine do not appear to be overly respected, but, so be it. Everyone has their own opinions.

I am happy enough with what I managed to get.

Malthouse stressed that he wanted more run. This group certainly does improve the midfield. Also it provides a potential key forward, something the Blues have lacked in recent years.

Crouch has his detractors and fair enough. However, he is an extractor par excellence and will get clearances and run in the midfield, something Carlton needed.

Hourigan is a potential key forward with a strong mark and an excellent kick. He make take a little while, but we needed a key forward and this cohort does not have many.

Karpany does not seem to have a lot of support, but he has been talked up considerably in recent times. There is talk he will go in the top 30 after an excellent finals' campaign for Woodville West Torrens. He has BOG in a premiership team and played almost all day in the midfield. He may not be large, but he is very fast and skilled. He may start up forward, but he will move into the midfield soon.

I have raved about Jacob Chisari for a long time. I was impressed with him last year. Yes, he could be a replacement for Peter Dinklage in 'Game of Thrones', but he knows how to get the ball in traffic. He won the Pioneers' B & F for the 2nd time to go with his Morrish Medal. He roved to the least effective ruck combination in the competition and still managed to get leather poisoning. He isn't slow, although he is no speed demon. He tackles like a man twice his mass and works hard on his game. He would be a good pickup for any team needing clearances.

As Carlton is only going to have 3 live picks in the real thing, I expect him to be rookied, and I hope he does make it to Carlton.

Added to Daisy Thomas and the 2 young Irishmen, this would improve Carlton's potential midfield rotations considerably.

Updated the first page with a rookie draft. Not everyone submitted lists, so for those who did I turned it into three rounds. While those who didn't, well they missed out and might find themselves watching next year.

In terms of my three picks, the players I really wanted kept getting taken - Beasley, Buckby, Abbott. Left me with little to pick from in terms of KPPs, so I went best available midfielder with Gibbons instead. I'm happy with Pearce though, plenty of talent there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10. Port Adelaide - Nick Favretto (189cm, 89kg midfielder - West Adelaide) - strong bodied, super quick. No idea why he didn't play championships, well I guess they preferred Aish, Dunstan, Dumont, Hewett, Spina in the middle. Looking at that it says a lot. Skills need a bit of tidying up but they are not in the zone of being terminal. I like how poised he is in traffic. I love how he took to senior football like a duck to water in a losing West Adelaide team in the final round of the year. The kid has potential to be an AFL midfielder and the fact he is local means he is worth a shot. Endurance needs some work.

24. Port Adelaide - Luke Buckby (192cm, 85kg defender - Central Districts) - who is this man, yep go looking through the archives and you might find something. Basically came from nowhere to play a very good academy game in the pre-season. Every year there is one kid who makes all the recruiters around the country go who is this kid, this kid each year normally ends up going about pick 20 in the draft. Buckby was going to be the kid this year. He fronted for round 1 in the reserves at central and that was his season over. He missed the rest of the year injured. He plays more as a flanker/wingman than key position even though he is 192cm. He has good pace and he has good endurance, very good kick of the football and on a small sample size he looks like a competitor. You have to take him on instinct mixed with a little research but you certaianl cant tick off all the boxes to the level that you want to.

38. Port Adelaide - Sean Davidson (185cm, 81kg midfielder - Port Adelaide) - played under 18 championships in 2012 and missed out in 2013. I am taking a port kid with the last pick and I have purely gone with the kid with the most potential. No way is he the best performed kid at the magpies but he has an AFL body, he shows some real AFL qualities although these are often let down with poor execution of his skills. I am hoping he got a bit ahead of himself last year and now realises there is no substitute for hard work.

I basically went for South Australian kids although I really really rate Nathan Drummond.

Not sure where he goes, but Zak Jones will be one of the best players to come out of this draft. Should be a top 10 pick IMO.

So I wanted to get some mids for the Hawks here.

Pick #16 - Campbell Combe - 178cm/82kg - Inside Mid
Combe is tough and determined and a real bull in the contest. He would have to be a late chance on Thursday night but more likely a rookie. He comes across as one of those kids who succeed off the rookie list so pretty happy to get him at this point in time. A nice Brad Sewell type for the future midfield of the Hawks. He's pretty well ready to go from day one and whilst his kicking isn't great I don't think it's an issue given the role he'll play on the bottom of packs.

Pick #32 - Chris Cain - 181cm/82kg - Mid
In premiership mode, Chris Cain will add some depth to this Hawthorn squad and just another immediate impact player for them if injuries were to hit. Uses the footy really well, but is probably a bit too outside to go main draft as a mature player. Another type that seems to succeed off the rookie list as a mature state league player.

Pick #48 - Richard Bourne - 178cm/61kg - Fwd/Mid
Not sure Bourne is ever going to make it but he has all the talent in the world to succeed. It's a shame he's 61kg. Lightning quick and extremely difficult to tackle, Bourne could prove to be a nightmare match-up in the future. Just need to get him down to Glenferrie Maccas for 3 meals a day.

Overall: I added more depth to the midfield for the Hawks and this was the aim having added more naturally talented guys who could translate into midfielders in the main draft. (Sokol/Sicily) Overall I think the types that tend to succeed are the tough, determined little midfielders that don't have that flair that makes them stand out, mature aged players and small forwards. So in the end I have one of each. Favretto was my favourite of what was left so get ****ed missionpossible :p

I was very surprised to get the picks I suggested - However...

[1] Scott Jones

Height: 203 cm

Weight: 100 kg

Birthday: 20/05/1995

Club: East Perth
Like Cameron Conlon, Jones has barely played this year, managing just 6 Colt games after a serious ankle injury. Basically, with him and Conlon missing, the cohort of ruckman sized players was skewed and ended up looking weaker than usual.
Jones is tall and pretty mobile for such a big lad. In 2012 he was expected to be the top tap ruckman for WA in 2013. I'd like to give him a try, as the Blues will need a young ruckman now that Hampson has gone to Richmond.

[2] Matthew Johnson

Height: 187 cm

Weight: 85 kg

Birthday: 05/09/1994

Club: West Perth

Johnson started the year brilliantly, playing in West Perth seniors and being ultra impressive. He has a real burst of pace and could develop into a mid over time (he would need to work on his tank, but a number of guys are in that position). He really takes his opponent on and puts on forward pressure. His kick is nice enough, as he plugged a few goals on the run from over 50 m. Unfortunately he got injured mid season and fell off the radar. He is still young and has a bigger body than most of the similar players in this cohort.

[3] Michael Wood

Height: 187 cm

Weight: 76 kg

Birthday: 15/07/1994

Club: Subiaco

I saw Wood play for Subi a few times and he really impressed. There isn't much of him, but he plays like a key forward and always tries to get in front. he has a very nice pair of hands. He reminds me more than somewhat of Ken Hunter, although his kicking is considerably more reliable.

What are people's thoughts on the likelihood of Aaron Christensen getting drafted (not Allen's brother, the other one)?

Yoda took my guy.

Wanted Nankervis badly in the rookie draft.

Strongly considered him at 67 and would in the rookie draft should he happen to slide through I feel represents strong value.

I'm still happy with Herbert, Langdon and Fantasia though.

Fantasia I'm particularly surprised to see slide through with some good South Australian recruiters on here.

What are people's thoughts on the likelihood of Aaron Christensen getting drafted (not Allen's brother, the other one)?

I have him at #56 in my draft, being a late/rookie chance. But I might be on my own there. Nobody else has him going, and he only featured in (I think) one person's list for the rookie draft.

I have him at #56 in my draft, being a late/rookie chance. But I might be on my own there. Nobody else has him going, and he only featured in (I think) one person's list for the rookie draft.
I can't understand why, Chris. While acknowledging that highlight reels only take the players best snippets and exclude the negatives of a player, his highlights reel is mighty impressive; a reel good enough, one would think, to be easily drafted in the ND or RD. I think you are really on the money with that selection of yours.

I am reasonably happy with my rookie draft picks, and I got some good Div 2 kids.

Jared Ellis has a fair bit of potential and a few clubs are apparently right into him. He is a half-back flanker who is strong defensively, particularly in the air, and has the ability to run off his opponent and create. Athletically he is above average and has a good burst of pace, decent agility, and seems to be able to play on fast small forwards. He does need to work on his offensive game and his skills do need tightening up a bit.

Luke Rogerson is another Queensland special imo, an underdeveloped kid with a heap of upside. He has great speed, runs well with the footy, has decent agility, so athletically he should excel. His kicking is good and he has the ability to hit targets nicely. At this stage he plays best as a half-back, winger type who can find the ball well. His marking is also a feature of his game. He needs to improve his endurance a little and his inside contested ball winning needs improvement. Also he is not a huge disposal winner, but there is a fair bit to work with.

Max King is a speculative pick, yet he has a ton of upside and is a great size at 200cm. He has played mostly as a tall forward with stints in the ruck and has done a solid job without setting the world on fire. He is a good size at 200cm, is above average athletically, moves very well and is decent overhead. He lacks a bit of core strength imo, although that should improve, his marking is also average and he drops a few to many for my liking. He doesn't really impose himself and can get caught out of position a bit. I think that his future lies in defence and he could make an excellent full-back, but he is a 3-5 year project.

I had the Calder one on my list of potential rookies. From memory he wasn't far past Bourne so if it went 4 rounds I'd probably have ended up with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back