BigFooty Official The 2013 BigFooty Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I am reasonably happy with my rookie draft picks, and I got some good Div 2 kids.

Jared Ellis has a fair bit of potential and a few clubs are apparently right into him. He is a half-back flanker who is strong defensively, particularly in the air, and has the ability to run off his opponent and create. Athletically he is above average and has a good burst of pace, decent agility, and seems to be able to play on fast small forwards. He does need to work on his offensive game and his skills do need tightening up a bit.

Luke Rogerson is another Queensland special imo, an underdeveloped kid with a heap of upside. He has great speed, runs well with the footy, has decent agility, so athletically he should excel. His kicking is good and he has the ability to hit targets nicely. At this stage he plays best as a half-back, winger type who can find the ball well. His marking is also a feature of his game. He needs to improve his endurance a little and his inside contested ball winning needs improvement. Also he is not a huge disposal winner, but there is a fair bit to work with.

Max King is a speculative pick, yet he has a ton of upside and is a great size at 200cm. He has played mostly as a tall forward with stints in the ruck and has done a solid job without setting the world on fire. He is a good size at 200cm, is above average athletically, moves very well and is decent overhead. He lacks a bit of core strength imo, although that should improve, his marking is also average and he drops a few to many for my liking. He doesn't really impose himself and can get caught out of position a bit. I think that his future lies in defence and he could make an excellent full-back, but he is a 3-5 year project.
Love the Ellis selection Offsider, you know I'm a fan and I've heard he might be a chance in the national draft come Thursday. Rogerson has some good qualities too, like him at half back where he can get a bit of the footy and is willing to take the game on.

I'm sorry I did not get a rookie list in but I did state I was on holidays in mid to late November. Otherwise I most certainly would have...

Write-Up for Fuller:

Matthew Fuller - Pretty much a case of picking a ready made player with 46 for the crows, who can compliment our side with a long and direct play out of defence. Now I'm REALLY SURPRISED I didn't take Nankervis here as I planned to and he was available but I was not expecting Fuller to last to 46 (much higher on my list). Figured I could find a ruck in the rookie draft instead and there are still some good names out there...

But Fuller fits a need for the crows when Smith will move to the midfield we need to replace him with a long kicker and Fuller is the man. Trusted with the kick ins for the legs for a couple of years now he could be the man to do this straight away for the crows. Fuller is a huge kick of the footy off both feet, but especially his left peg. He has a bit of pace without being AFL quick but runs the lines hard and sets up attacking thrusts time and time again. Has great sideways lateral movement in traffic and has clean hands. Runs to space well where he uses his long kicking to effect. Can hit targets over 45-50m with pinpoint accuracy. Is not a spearing kick of the ball but kicks with hoofing power with accuracy. Is known to kick long goals on the run and is often a go to man running around the back of a ruck.

His defensive side is also sound, can run down players with vice like tackles and hang on for dear life. Doesn't make huge numbers per game but the ones he makes they stick. Is not a huge ballwinner but will average around 15-20ppg in the AFL I would think. Has a higher damage per touch ratio than most players around him. Has a sound build and will not be brushed off the football - AFL ready round 1. Overhead he is sound without being exeptional. Occasionally he will take a contested mark and look superb but not a standout feature of his. Sound all round game. Biggest weakness probably consistency, can go missing but generally that has been on the decrease over the past couple of years.

I did well this year. 2 years in a row I go for a key forward who doesn't get drafted at all. o_O:p:confused: Looks like I can pick'em. More than with picking Karpany considering where he ended up!

And I didn't get a single rookie. Hate to think what would have happened if I had no idea at all!

• Inside ball winning ability – At this stage Scharenberg has not shown much in the way of inside clearance ball winning ability. Still he has a lot of potential and given that he has not played much inside mid, and the way that the game seems to slow down a lot when he has the footy. The basic skills are there for him to be good he just hasn't played a heap of footy as an inside mid.

I don't think he will play that Position at AFL Level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back