Universal Love The 2014/15 Pre-season Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Difference being while some softcocks couldnt be bothered chasing, Pods literally physically couldn't, he looked like an old nan out there at times
See I just can't agree with you. Pods actually moves quite well and when we recruited him he was right up there in the comp for forward 50 tackles over the last 5 years.

Are u sure you're not just coming to that conclusion because he looks old? He actually moves quite well and would comfortably be quicker than Tex & Lynch.

Now again I'm not saying he should be an automatic selection this year because his age is against him.

See I just can't agree with you. Pods actually moves quite well and when we recruited him he was right up there in the comp for forward 50 tackles over the last 5 years.

Are u sure you're not just coming to that conclusion because he looks old? He actually moves quite well and would comfortably be quicker than Tex & Lynch.

Now again I'm not saying he should be an automatic selection this year because his age is against him.

The gazelle !!!!!!!! Ze gazelle !!!!!!!

I'm in the group that thought pods was serviceable last year. Considering the situation with tex and the lack of other options, I'm pretty sure that's all they were after
Pod was serviceable and may well be yet again. Yes it was a short term fix.

Pods served his purpose. He was insurance for Tex.

Hopefully this year he is not needed and we see him working with our SANFL players during game time to fast track their development.

A player like McGovern could learn a lot from Pods this year during the SANFL games they play together.

Pods served his purpose. He was insurance for Tex.

Hopefully this year he is not needed and we see him working with our SANFL players during game time to fast track their development.

A player like McGovern could learn a lot from Pods this year during the SANFL games they play together.
Hence Pods has a background in training and development for his future.

I'm in the group that thought pods was serviceable last year. Considering the situation with tex and the lack of other options, I'm pretty sure that's all they were after
true, but did he get us to a GF, hell the finals full stop?

little value in playing him in our losing side in my opinion, look at McKernan's situation - the guy tore Carlton a new one in the NAB cup, has a shocker against Port because he was concussed, and then he got permanently relegated to the reserves. Then consider LJ too, the guy kept us in the game against Geelong at their home fortress, then because he couldn't run with an un-checked Polec all day he got dumped for the season too.

people can bag me all they like saying Smack and LJ are crap, but they're both confidence players who both gave us brief glimpses of great footy in their limited time in the side. The fact is Pods was recruited to limit the damage while Tex was out to give us a chance of limping into the finals - we didn't make the finals - so as far as I'm concerned playing a 32 year old ahead of young guys who never really got an honest crack at it was a failure (with the benefit of hindsight of course).

its the same thing as Brodie Martin, sure he might not have been a revelation last year, but now at least we know what he can do. LJ in particular was one I was hoping would get a crack under Walsh's regime but that ship has sailed. Smack could still be for Essendon what Jenkins has been for us, and I'd love to see him succeed to be honest.

little value in playing him in our losing side in my opinion, look at McKernan's situation - the guy tore Carlton a new one in the NAB cup, has a shocker against Port because he was concussed, and then he got permanently relegated to the reserves. Then consider LJ too, the guy kept us in the game against Geelong at their home fortress, then because he couldn't run with an un-checked Polec all day he got dumped for the season too.

people can bag me all they like saying Smack and LJ are crap, but they're both confidence players who both gave us brief glimpses of great footy in their limited time in the side. The fact is Pods was recruited to limit the damage while Tex was out to give us a chance of limping into the finals - we didn't make the finals - so as far as I'm concerned playing a 32 year old ahead of young guys who never really got an honest crack at it was a failure (with the benefit of hindsight of course).

its the same thing as Brodie Martin, sure he might not have been a revelation last year, but now at least we know what he can do. LJ in particular was one I was hoping would get a crack under Walsh's regime but that ship has sailed. Smack could still be for Essendon what Jenkins has been for us, and I'd love to see him succeed to be honest.
Agree with all bar the last sentence

Couldn't have said it better

That was all very pertinent DD and you are a great follower of footy.

How many of his opponents ran off him and cut us up on the rebound ,I'll give you the answer...PLENTY

This is an issue - but its not an issue with Pods directly. This is a Sando issue.

Far too many times Pods had too much license to roam where he wanted. Due to being a premiership player with the all important Geelong - Sando allowed him to roam up and down the ground. Why the hell Pods should be roaming on the wing I have no bloody idea. Sure send him down to the backlines for the last 3 minutes of a quarter to help out defensively but he should always be within 25 metres of a goal.

It was the #1 coaching blunder from Sando in 2014. You have a 32 year old 100kg guy. He is a guy who is a contested marking beast. He ranked 6th in the AFL in contested marks in 2014. You have a side that despite being 7th in the AFL in inside 50's - you are 12th for marks inside 50. What do you do? Make that guy run around like a headless chicken.

You keep him deep inside 50 it does so much for us. It allows us a get out of free card that doesn't involve kicking deep to Eddie Betts in a 2-1. It allows Pods to bring the ball to ground for the best goal sneak in the AFL. Kicking it deep inside 50 allows Pods to utilise 2 of his greatest weapons - contested marking and football IQ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tex and JJ are our two best genuine KPF, Lynch provides a great hit up option and although he is 6ft4 he plays more like a mid-size HHF

JJ also provides a 2nd Ruck option and Lowden will be the player that will back up JJ's role and will hopefully inject some selection pressure and this will mean that J
pod should be used to cover for Tex and as a playing development coach in the sanfl side to mentor our young forwards

People really seem into Lynch and I don't blame them but I've got a feeling he might take a while to find his feet. He had an absolute nightmare season of injury last year. I won't be expecting big things from him until he's strung a few games together.

People really seem into Lynch and I don't blame them but I've got a feeling he might take a while to find his feet. He had an absolute nightmare season of injury last year. I won't be expecting big things from him until he's strung a few games together.
Agree totally. The pressure will be on him this year though, there's players lining up for his spot.

Anyone else noticed that brad crouch was doing most of his training with the first year recruits? Probably because he's never completed a pre season to date?

Thought he would have be alright by now to at least partake in normal trainings with the rest of the group having 2 seasons in the afl so far...

Anyone else noticed that brad crouch was doing most of his training with the first year recruits? Probably because he's never completed a pre season to date?

Thought he would have be alright by now to at least partake in normal trainings with the rest of the group having 2 seasons in the afl so far...
I think you're right to assume its because he hasn't done a full sunmer. Given his injury history its best not to push him too hard early and make sure he gets through the full program.

IMO - we are a better side with Lynch in it, than without him.

Lynch has been key recently because he presents hard on the wing all day long and gives us that link-up out of the back half. The problem is his disposal and decision making is often pretty average and he probably only kicks the ball 45m... I certainly wouldn't back him from outside 50.

I'm interested to see what place he has in our side under Walsh. I like him, but a big part of me hopes that we'll see far more efficient ball movement across the ground and that his niche becomes less valuable. Having said that, hard runners are going to be handy.

Lynch has been key recently because he presents hard on the wing all day long and gives us that link-up out of the back half. The problem is his disposal and decision making is often pretty average and he probably only kicks the ball 45m... I certainly wouldn't back him from outside 50.

I'm interested to see what place he has in our side under Walsh. I like him, but a big part of me hopes that we'll see far more efficient ball movement across the ground and that his niche becomes less valuable. Having said that, hard runners are going to be handy.
Definitely if you want Lynch to be hitting the scoresheet he will be taking shots from 40 to 45 out. He certainly doesn't have a long leg. More valuable as the linkup as you mentioned.

Can also be used to drop back into the hole at times rather than one lousy Podsiadly.

Once again. Why the crack at Pods? Pods is a much much better contested mark and a better reader of the footy than Lynch. If you are dropping one player back inside defensive 50 in the last 2 minutes I would much rather have Pods than Lynch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back