The 2014 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton could do a lot more to improve everything.
I know this is primarily an attendance thread but you are correct. The point being Carltons off field performances in they 5-6 years probably warrants it's own thread. It's attendances are a reflection of a disengaged fan base which the club appears completely out of touch with. You hear it loud and clear around these forums and on radio etc. Lots if work needed at Carlton to get the fans back to the club again.

Round totale at 344k, 27k more than round 5 last year. (up 9%). This leaves us 7% (110k) down on last years aggregate for the same period (down from 11% to round 4, so we are eating into the deficit.)

Hard to guage if crowds are really as down as it seems, or due to a different fixture as there was no MCG for the first round.

Last year had Anzac day Ess v Coll in round 5, and round 2 had Carl v Coll. The 9% increase this round is huge as last year had Anzac day, but then again round 5 this year got the Geel v Haw fixture which round 1 had last season.

This year, these two genuine blockbuster fixtures are coming up in the next two weeks.

Hard to guage if crowds are really as down as it seems, or due to a different fixture as there was no MCG for the first round.

Last year had Anzac day Ess v Coll in round 5, and round 2 had Carl v Coll. The 9% increase this round is huge as last year had Anzac day, but then again round 5 this year got the Geel v Haw fixture which round 1 had last season.

This year, these two genuine blockbuster fixtures are coming up in the next two weeks.

Im in no doubt the seasons crowds to date are a combination of a poor first round, sunday nights, and variable ticket pricing.

Im in no doubt the seasons crowds to date are a combination of a poor first round, sunday nights, and variable ticket pricing.

I think you are spot on It hasent been the best start to a season for a long time for all of the above reasons.

Even after the novelty wears off the convenience of attending a state of the art stadium a short walk from Adelaide's city centre and rail hub will remain. I was in Adelaide a few weeks ago and was blown away by how well located the ground is, and what a classy feature it is for Adelaide.
To go cross-code for a moment, Perth Arena and the Perth Wildcats; there was predicted to be a fall-off after the "novelty" wore off, but it's just so bloody convenient that people just keep going (plus other positive factors, but still, when you get the basics right, convenience sustains what novelty creates).
Lots of people head south for Easter, particuarly those chardonnay sipping Margaret river Eagles types. :)

This is all totally true, the more years I acquire on my (In The Wings, but still) membership, the more of a taste for Chardonnay I have discovered.

Science.

Mark Evans on 5aa recently (might have been last week) that "like for like" crowds are actually fractionally up (going into Round 5). I think he means that for the games with the clubs and venues they had - they are slightly ahead. That to me is a little misleading but understandable in a compromised fixture where you don't play each team both home and away.

The crowd on Easter Monday proves that the low attendances this year are primarily because of increased ticket prices and scheduling games at inappropriate times.

After the AFL caved and took away the classification for the Easter Monday game, the crowd became a huge one.

People who have already paid big bucks for memberships don't want to be fleeced of more money by the AFL, so when a game is classified A, the crowds stay away.
Take away the classification and the crowd surges.

The crowd on Easter Monday proves that the low attendances this year are primarily because of increased ticket prices and scheduling games at inappropriate times.

After the AFL caved and took away the classification for the Easter Monday game, the crowd became a huge one.

People who have already paid big bucks for memberships don't want to be fleeced of more money by the AFL, so when a game is classified A, the crowds stay away.
Take away the classification and the crowd surges.
They changed the Easter Monday game just a few hours before the start, and there was confusion as to what was actually changing, apparently all they changed was to allow club members into the empty seats in the AFL reserve. I doubt it affected the attendance at all, it was already huge.

The classification remained.

The Easter Monday game was the first fully ticketed game of the season, as the AFL stated today the concern was that just 5000 tickets in the public reserve were available for sale and the fixture had a track record of drawing 9000 in walk up sales. The problem was that the AFL members reserve was just 70% full so their gates were opened in the AFL members reserve only.

The game itself was still fully ticketed in the public reserve

Would not suprise me at all, if by the end of the year, we actually find a small increase in crowd averages, Adelaide Oval, depending on the Crows form may be the catalyst for this.

In a normal year though, Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Essendon's form are the difference between a good year and a bumper year.

The new stadium in Perth will provide another spike in a couple of seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But will it be up or down on last year?
I think it is safe to say it will be down. I can't see them getting 93K this year. Last year was the second highest ANZAC Day Crowd ever.

The classification remained.

The Easter Monday game was the first fully ticketed game of the season, as the AFL stated today the concern was that just 5000 tickets in the public reserve were available for sale and the fixture had a track record of drawing 9000 in walk up sales. The problem was that the AFL members reserve was just 70% full so their gates were opened in the AFL members reserve only.

The game itself was still fully ticketed in the public reserve
Let's hope they sort themselves out before the return game. It's a long way off, but as you'd expect with Hawthorn and Geelong, both will be flag favourites by the time it hits, and it'll likely attract enormous neutral attendance. I am already super keen on it myself and it's FOUR months away.

But will it be up or down on last year?
It'll be lower, last year's crowd was the best home and away crowd since the first one. I'd be expecting 86-90k.

Let's hope they sort themselves out before the return game. It's a long way off, but as you'd expect with Hawthorn and Geelong, both will be flag favourites by the time it hits, and it'll likely attract enormous neutral attendance. I am already super keen on it myself and it's FOUR months away.

It'll be lower, last year's crowd was the best home and away crowd since the first one. I'd be expecting 86-90k.

This. 93,000 plus in this day in and age for a home + away game is almost unheard of...

This. 93,000 plus in this day in and age for a home + away game is almost unheard of...
I was absolutely staggered by last year's attendance. I don't think people understand just how hard it is to top 90k in the modern era.

Late season top of the table games that were worthy of 100k that spring to mind are Essendon-Carlton 2000 (91k), Geelong-Collingwood 2010 (88k), Hawthorn-Geelong 2008 (86k). The hype and interest was massive on all these games and that's just where the peak is during the home and away season.

Would not suprise me at all, if by the end of the year, we actually find a small increase in crowd averages, Adelaide Oval, depending on the Crows form may be the catalyst for this.

In a normal year though, Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Essendon's form are the difference between a good year and a bumper year.

The new stadium in Perth will provide another spike in a couple of seasons.
Demetriou said as much today:

"''Our crowds have been down because of the soft start we had in round one,'' he said. ''And we’ve been playing catch-up ever since. But all our indicators suggest we’ll pull the crowds back by round 13 and those indicators have been extremely reliable in the past.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...w-demetriou-20140422-zqxvw.html#ixzz2zg4rp1Eh

What is the official capacity of the G?

The Anzac day game is sold out, so crowd should very close to capacity in theory.

Same happened to Essendon V Hawthorn round 2, game was advertised as sold out and it only ended up with a crowd of 44k.
Surely there wasn't 9-10k of no shows.

What is the official capacity of the G?

The Anzac day game is sold out, so crowd should very close to capacity in theory.

Same happened to Essendon V Hawthorn round 2, game was advertised as sold out and it only ended up with a crowd of 44k.
Surely there wasn't 9-10k of no shows.
Capacity is just over 100k as evidenced by some recent grand final attendances. "Sold out" means the crowd is generally anywhere from 80k to 100k. Just depends on whether the MCC, AFL and indeed club members all rock up.

Capacity is just over 100k as evidenced by some recent grand final attendances. "Sold out" means the crowd is generally anywhere from 80k to 100k. Just depends on whether the MCC, AFL and indeed club members all rock up.

Still doesn't make sense though, Anzac day is a fully ticketed game so you must reserve a seat to go.

So if Anzac day draws a crowd of 93k your saying there's approx 8k of people who purchased tickets and don't show up.

Still doesn't make sense though, Anzac day is a fully ticketed game so you must reserve a seat to go.

So if Anzac day draws a crowd of 93k your saying there's approx 8k of people who purchased tickets and don't show up.

MCC still isn't fully ticketed. Also all the season reserved seat ticket holders have to show up as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back