The 2014 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Capacity is just over 100k as evidenced by some recent grand final attendances. "Sold out" means the crowd is generally anywhere from 80k to 100k. Just depends on whether the MCC, AFL and indeed club members all rock up.

Well the biggest crowd since redevelopment in 2006 was 100,020 and that was hawthorn v Sydney in 2012! So id say that the capacity is about that just over 100,000! The next biggest crowd was in 2010 Collingwood v st.kilda 100,016.

The crowd would be my guess be between 88-95,000! Will all depend on how many mcc members turn up on the day

I think it is safe to say it will be down. I can't see them getting 93K this year. Last year was the second highest ANZAC Day Crowd ever.
90,000 would be a very great crowd anything over is a bonus.

Well the biggest crowd since redevelopment in 2006 was 100,020 and that was hawthorn v Sydney in 2012! So id say that the capacity is about that just over 100,000! The next biggest crowd was in 2010 Collingwood v st.kilda 100,016.

The crowd would be my guess be between 88-95,000! Will all depend on how many mcc members turn up on the day

The real full capacity of the MCG is about 105,000 depending on standing room sales and the MCC controls that figure also in all sellouts a number of people who have purchased tickets dont show for various reasons (sickness,death ,sudden emergency) and those tickets cannot be re sold so you will always see some empty seats.It would be interesting to know what % of the crowd are these no shows compared to the MCC AFL Members no shows.

Any idea Wookie?

The record was actually the Collingwood v St Kilda game...

The 10 biggest crowds since the redevelopment

Collingwood v St Kilda 100,016 (2010 GF)
Geelong v Hawthorn 100,012 (2008 GF)
Hawthorn v Fremantle 100,004 (2013 GF)
Hawthorn v Sydney 99,683 (2012 GF)
Collingwood v Geelong 99,537 (2011 GF)
St Kilda v Geelong 99,257 (2009 GF)
Geelong v Collingwood 98,002 (2007 PF)
Sydney v West Coast 97,431 (2006 GF)
Geelong v Port Adelaide 97,302 (2007 GF)
Collingwood v Geelong 95,271 (2010 PF)

Great crowd and atmosphere! Especially considering the pies won and over 60,000 were Collingwood supporters at the game made then atmosphere even better.

Have not been to an Anzac Day game where the crowd was sooooo one sided
Since last year! Was one sided the other way in 2013 as I recall it. All depends on who the home team is with ANZAC Day.

There were lots of 'red' in the Southern and Olympic stands and the MCC was majority Bombers. But when the game was getting to the business end there wasn't alot for the Bombers fans to cheer in raptures for.

Great attendance though. Surprised to see lots of vacant seats in the Pies members and top of MCC stand. Essendon losing last 2 and deplorable last week with withdrawals probably takes a few of the more swaying Essendon fans away from the spectacle.

It really is a truly great event this. The clubs involved are part if the tradition. You couldn't imagine it working as well under different circumstances year in, year out. An absolute jewel in the AFL crown.

Last edited:
Since last year! Was one sided the other way in 2013 as I recall it. All depends on who the home team is with ANZAC Day.

There were lots of 'red' in the Southern and Olympic stands and the MCC was majority Bombers. But when the game was getting to the business end there wasn't alot for the Bombers fans to cheer in raptures for.

Great attendance though. Surprised to see lots of vacant seats in the Pies members and top of MCC stand. Essendon losing last 2 and deplorable last week with withdrawals probably takes a few of the more swaying Essendon fans away from the spectacle.

It really is a truly great event this. The clubs involved are part if the tradition. You couldn't imagine it working as well under different circumstances year in, year out. An absolute jewel in the AFL crown.

The way you are talking Essendon had more fans lol!

Olympic stand was manly Collingwood! Afl members was mostly Collingwood! First 3 levels of great southern stand was Collingwood except for Essendon cheer squad! Top level of great southern stand (public area was Essendon).

MCC members might of had more Essendon.

Like I said breakdown would of been 60,000 Collingwood to 30,000 Essendon.

Official crowd: 37,624 at Patersons Stadium
Official crowd: 13,409 at Westpac Stadium
Official crowd: 91,731 at the MCG

Ill take 140k at the footy today. good result.

last years round 6 pulled in 278,000, with 6 matches to go and needed 138k...i think we've got this.

At a guess

GC v GWS: 15,000
Carl v WCE: 35,000
melb v Sydn: 25,000
WB v Adel: 25,000
Rich v haw: 50,000
port v geel: 45,000

Total est: ~340,000

Would be the biggest aggregate for a while.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good crowd at the MCG.

Wellington down 10K on last year. Perhaps the novelty has already worn off, or perhaps the less attractive opponent contributed to part of the drop-off. That big of a drop off is concerning. I do hope the AFL is able to maintain a long term presence in NZ. I mean 13K is decent when compared with Launceston, Canberra, etc crowds recently. I feel New Zealand deserves at least a game every year. Perhaps the fact they play the match in such a large stadium doesn't help. But then again it is really the only suitable venue.

And it was only yesterday I was talking about how hard it is to pass 90k. A fool I look.

A truly wonderful crowd by any measure, it's always nice to see the top decks full the way they were.

Good crowd at the MCG.

Wellington down 10K on last year. Perhaps the novelty has already worn off, or perhaps the less attractive opponent contributed to part of the drop-off. That big of a drop off is concerning. I do hope the AFL is able to maintain a long term presence in NZ. I mean 13K is decent when compared with Launceston, Canberra, etc crowds recently. I feel New Zealand deserves at least a game every year. Perhaps the fact they play the match in such a large stadium doesn't help. But then again it is really the only suitable venue.

I agree there but I think it's 2 early to say the novelties worn off after just 2 games. I do think the AFL was stupid to send a club from QLD (Brisbane) which doesn't have a big following compared to a club from the traditional Football southern states. I hope they send a big Victorian club there next year for the centenary and hopefully if they promote it well and it doesn't rain they'll pull a decent crowd?

I also think you can't underestimate the fickle, cold and quite frankly crappy weather in Wellington this time of the year. The Westpac Stadium is great but really it doesn't offer much undercover protection from the elements and I'm sure that'd put a lot of people off. Especially when Aussie Rules is still a novelty to most Kiwis at the moment. Let's face it, most of the locals are only going there for a look!

I'm not in Wellington and I don't know what their ANZAC Day celebrations are like but would an afternoon match be better suited than a night match? Could that have also contributed to a lower crowd?

And yes, when you put 13,000 into perspective against matches played in Canberra, Launceston and Darwin it's not really that bad. Besides the local Super Rugby team, the Wellington Hurricanes don't even average a crowd as good as that and Rugby's supposedly their national sport?

http://m.news24.com/sport24/Rugby/Super15/Stormers-lure-top-crowds-20130802

Also, I came over from Adelaide to watch the big game at the 'G' yesterday and all I can say is, the atmosphere, the spectacle and the way the day was organised was second to none! Great crowd, great match!

Last edited:
Good crowd at the MCG.

The match yesterday would have struggled to pull a decent crowd anywhere even Melbourne.

The AFL have to bite the bullet and play one of the better known Melbourne teams in NZ for the game to be a success

By putting on a less appealing game the AFL is only shooting itself in the foot re NZ

With the right matchup and full on PR this game can be a huge success.

The match yesterday would have struggled to pull a decent crowd anywhere even Melbourne.

The AFL have to bite the bullet and play one of the better known Melbourne teams in NZ for the game to be a success

By putting on a less appealing game the AFL is only shooting itself in the foot re NZ

With the right matchup and full on PR this game can be a huge success.
Wellington is a novelty game that will last only a couple of years, appeal of who plays has nothing to do with it the Kiwis just don't care for it and on ANZAC day they have a number of big union matches on to watch instead which they prefer. Was a good idea but realistically was never going to work.

Wellington is a novelty game that will last only a couple of years, appeal of who plays has nothing to do with it the Kiwis just don't care for it and on ANZAC day they have a number of big union matches on to watch instead which they prefer. Was a good idea but realistically was never going to work.

Of course it can work it just needs to be done a bit better and more effort put in.

If you have a negative attitude and dont try it will be a loss making exercise.

It always makes me sad to see the knockers having a go at anything the AFL tries - nothing
ventured nothing gained!.
Ive been in business a long time and still Im trying new ways to improve my output and image and Australain Football has do do the same to keep ahead of the other sporting entertainments and codes..

Last edited:

last years round 6 pulled in 278,000, with 6 matches to go and needed 138k...i think we've got this.

At a guess

GC v GWS: 15,000
Carl v WCE: 35,000
melb v Sydn: 25,000
WB v Adel: 25,000
Rich v haw: 50,000
port v geel: 45,000

Total est: ~340,000

Would be the biggest aggregate for a while.
Hawks-tigers would be more than 50k I'd think.

Funnily enough, whilst channel hopping I saw bits of the rugby game in Auckland and the crowd was sparse. Obviously Anzac Day isn't the crowd magnet over there.

You're right though, 1 game every 3 or 4 years should be enough in Wellington.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back