The 2014 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

58992 for Bombers and Pies.
Seemed like more to me honestly
Not a bad crowd but it could of drawn a lot more in a different time slot
I can't recall being at an Essendon V Collingwood game with so few Collingwood fans. They had a majority in the AFL members however the 'Collingwood' stand was half full at best. The rest was basically Essendon fans I reckon from what I heard / saw at the game. A very pro Essendon crowd. I suggest being category A for tickets impacted the public rollout which would have been more relevant to the Pies fans being an away game for them. I reckon this fact + lateish Sunday impacted the criwd by 10,000 or so..

2014AFLcrowdsr17.png

I can't recall being at an Essendon V Collingwood game with so few Collingwood fans. They had a majority in the AFL members however the 'Collingwood' stand was half full at best. The rest was basically Essendon fans I reckon from what I heard / saw at the game. A very pro Essendon crowd. I suggest being category A for tickets impacted the public rollout which would have been more relevant to the Pies fans being an away game for them. I reckon this fact + lateish Sunday impacted the criwd by 10,000 or so..

You will actually find that since going to games a becoming so expensive the most away team clubs supporter bases are reluctant to go. That might explain why 20,000 Collingwood fans only bothered turning up. Was exactly the same Anzac Day when when the pies outnumbered Essendon 2 to 1.

For ex according to your tables in 2009 around 320k went to the football in QLD, in 2014 if those averages roughly hold true then around 415k fans would go to a game, that seems to me to be the game growing.

Considering the ladder positions of Brisbanes last 5 years, there also appears to be growth yet to come, if of course they improve.

For ex according to your tables in 2009 around 320k went to the football in QLD, in 2014 if those averages roughly hold true then around 415k fans would go to a game, that seems to me to be the game growing.

Considering the ladder positions of Brisbanes last 5 years, there also appears to be growth yet to come, if of course they improve.

Few people buy memberships for two clubs. People without memberships and supporters of interstate clubs will likely go to games at both clubs. Im more than confortable with the figures as displayed.

Worth noticing that Brisbanes match average is less than its membership, where Gold Coasts attendance greatly exceeds that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few people buy memberships for two clubs. People without memberships and supporters of interstate clubs will likely go to games at both clubs. Im more than confortable with the figures as displayed.

Worth noticing that Brisbanes match average is less than its membership, where Gold Coasts attendance greatly exceeds that.

Worth noting the amount of old Fitzoy people who buy memberships, that would be a very big reason why Brisbane membership outstrips Gabba average atendance.

No doubt in my mind the game has grown since the introduction of the Suns in QLD, i think the game not withstanding Brisbane's drop off in membership due to both the Suns and bad form has grown around 10k of new fans.

With respect the defending premier drawing less than 18000 to a home game at the MCG (25% of its member base) is clearly the worst of the year...by a margin greater than the Flemington Straight!

Richmond fans hate Ethiad, I have no doubt the game would have drawn a respectable 25000 or 30000 at the G
And the $8.50 booking fee ontop of your membership to sit in same seats (view) we'd get at G included in your membership.

the richmond fans have lost their maps with the directions to the MCG;)
nice to see Essedon & Pies way out in front as per usual.
Essendon has played in a number of Late evening and Sunday night games as well & crowds being down all around in Vic & only have just crept in to the 8
bring on 2025 when the Etihad deal expires, & hopefully move to the G

From a Hawks perspective (why not talk up your own club I guess) pretty solid numbers given our 3 Launceston games (which is nothing new) and given we've played Geelong and Collingwood once thus far (last season both our Geelong games fell within the first 15 games. These games collectively drew 160k last year)

Interestingly our away numbers (46312) are significantly larger than our home games (29926). Although 3 of our 7 home games have been played in Launceston and 2 of our 4 MCG games against GWS and Fremantle.

With some high drawers to follow (Sydney, Geelong and Collingwood) we're an outside chance of breaking our 2010 home / away record (922000).

That aside, Carlton's numbers are decidedly low compared to their post 2007 numbers (which regularly broke 1m). Looking at their draw they'll probably end up with 820000 or so (lowest since 2006) which is due no small way to their ridiculous home / away fixture.

Adelaide has the potential to become the first non Victorian club to break 900000 with a reasonable fixture. As it is theyll finish with 800k plus without breaking a sweat. Im not sure I can remember the last time Adelaide made the top 5/6 for total attendances...maybe the late 1990s?

Last edited:
the richmond fans have lost their maps with the directions to the MCG;)
nice to see Essedon & Pies way out in front as per usual.
Essendon has played in a number of Late evening and Sunday night games as well & crowds being down all around in Vic & only have just crept in to the 8
bring on 2025 when the Etihad deal expires, & hopefully move to the G

Looking at their respective draws Collingwood will probably finish with 1.08m, Essendon with 980k, Richmond 840k and Carlton 830k.

All clubs are significantly down on 2010 (one year before Gold Coast) and a seemingly high watermark for crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back