The 2014 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

.... North on the tv had a good turnout by their standards. Would of said that the breakdown would of been 50,000 Essendon fans to 28,000 north fans ...
That game looked better turnout wise than Hawks/Cats, would not have picked that. And yes visually one of the bigger North crowds I have seen. But then I've been to some pretty lightly attended Port games in the last decade where clever camera shots have given the impression of more Port fans being there than was the case.

It ain't north bringing down the finals series it's actually Collingwood for not making the god damn finals and playing in Melbourne lol
I don't agree. I don't think the finals series has lacked a Collingwood impact. In fact I would even argue the finals series is possibly enjoying the benefits of a couple of new teams providing a new dimension. Essendon, Richmond and North have so far ensured this years finals have something of an aura the last few finals series have lacked in recent years overall. Last night criwd was terrific and the atmosphere electric. Essendon and Richmond (should they lose) missing from week 2 will definateky impact crowds and interest. Collingwood (through no fault of their own) have in my view become ho hum to watch.. This years finals week 1 has been a much need boost to the AFL.

I don't agree. I don't think the finals series has lacked a Collingwood impact. In fact I would even argue the finals series is possibly enjoying the benefits of a couple of new teams providing a new dimension. Essendon, Richmond and North have so far ensured this years finals have something of an aura the last few finals series have lacked in recent years overall. Last night criwd was terrific and the atmosphere electric. Essendon and Richmond (should they lose) missing from week 2 will definateky impact crowds and interest. Collingwood (through no fault of their own) have in my view become ho hum to watch.. This years finals week 1 has been a much need boost to the AFL.

From here on in there are 3 potential match ups that could drive up crowds and interest in Melbourne...

Hawthorn V Richmond Preliminary Final (both have never met in a final, this matchup would be enormous)
Hawthorn V Sydney Grand Final (replay of 2012, Buddy vs. Hawthorn)
Geelong V Fremantle Grand Final (ultimate grudge match)

Honouree mention to Port Adelaide V Sydney Grand Final (who probably played in the game of 2014)

Bomber Thompson / Paul Chapman V Geelong would have made for a sensational storyline.

From here on in there are 3 potential match ups that could drive up crowds and interest in Melbourne...

Hawthorn V Richmond Preliminary Final (both have never met in a final, this matchup would be enormous)

Honouree mention to Port Adelaide V Sydney Grand Final (who probably played in the game of 2014)

Bomber Thompson / Paul Chapman V Geelong would have made for a sensational storyline.

With Richmond 11 goals behind just before half time they dont look like going any furthe

But I still reckon it will be a Sydney v Hawks GF with both teams having the break.

Week 1 Finals Crowds
  • Hawthorn v Geelong - 74,753 @ the MCG
  • Sydney v Fremantle - 35,998 @ ANZ Stadium
  • North v Essendon - 78,559 @ the MCG
  • Port v Richmond - 50,618 @ Adelaide Oval
Total: 239,928 @ 59,982 ave

Last Year Week 1
  • Hawthorn v Sydney - 59,615 @The MCG
  • Geelong v Fremantle - 32,815 @ Simmonds Stadium
  • Collingwood v Port Adelaide - 51,722 @ The MCG
  • Richmond v Carlton - 94,690 @ The MCG
2013 Total: 238,842 @ 59,711

Week 1 Finals Crowds
  • Hawthorn v Geelong - 74,753 @ the MCG
  • Sydney v Fremantle - 35,998 @ ANZ Stadium
  • North v Essendon - 78,559 @ the MCG
  • Port v Richmond - 50,618 @ Adelaide Oval
Total: 239,928 @ 59,982 ave

Last Year Week 1
  • Hawthorn v Sydney - 59,615 @The MCG
  • Geelong v Fremantle - 32,815 @ Simmonds Stadium
  • Collingwood v Port Adelaide - 51,722 @ The MCG
  • Richmond v Carlton - 94,690 @ The MCG
2013 Total: 238,842 @ 59,711

Quite remarkable almost the same total with very different crowds.Two of the crowds at the G last year were ordinary to say the least - the Carlton v Rich match saved the day.
The ANZ game is the one that dragged the total down It would be interesting to see the breakdown of profits from the SCG with say 45,000 ( capacity 48,000) compared to ANZ at 35,000(capacity 83,000)

Quite remarkable almost the same total with very different crowds.Two of the crowds at the G last year were ordinary to say the least - the Carlton v Rich match saved the day.
The ANZ game is the one that dragged the total down It would be interesting to see the breakdown of profits from the SCG with say 45,000 ( capacity 48,000) compared to ANZ at 35,000(capacity 83,000)
profit from the swans or the AFL CEO? out of the game yesterday im sure mike fitzpatricks bank account will be a bit larger

Bizarre that two H&A games (Port, Adelaide Oval) got 52k and this only got 50k.
I thought so too, but the incremental drip-feed release of seats in the AO members' section is probably to blame. I think that, for example, another 1,000 seats were only released on Friday. I'll ask someone from the club that I know why there were apparent spare seats.

Good crowd at AO today. Ticketek needs to stop pissing around with their ticket releases once the game's sold out. What on earth is with them releasing something like 1600 tickets on Thursday morning only for them to all sell out, then another 1,000 on Friday morning? Where did that extra 1,000 come from, and why couldn't they go on sale on Thursday? In the end there were still standing room tickets for sale, but most people thought the game was sold out because of all the previous sold out announcements during the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MCC predicting 65,000 for this game. They are never usually more than 5000 out with their predictions.

http://www.mcg.org.au/Events/Upcoming Events/Event Details.aspx?eid=006ae605-5eb7-44f8-9dc1-5043b60b1aee

Given its the only game in Melbourne and its the series match (however big that boosts turns out to be?) it shouldn't have any trouble clearing 60,000...

I think it'll be under 60,000. MCC were predicting 80,000 for the Hawks vs Geelong final, and that fell short of 75,000. With the North game, there will be even fewer Geelong supporters attending. Combination of being on a Friday night in Melbourne, and Geelong now with no chance of winning the Grand Final, let alone even making it. So it'll all come down to how many North fans show up...

I think it'll be under 60,000. MCC were predicting 80,000 for the Hawks vs Geelong final, and that fell short of 75,000. With the North game, there will be even fewer Geelong supporters attending. Combination of being on a Friday night in Melbourne, and Geelong now with no chance of winning the Grand Final, let alone even making it. So it'll all come down to how many North fans show up...

That said this is the Series Game (so that's 5000 or so) and its the only game in Melbourne. If it can't draw early 60,000's even allowing for Geelong fans reluctance to go to Friday Night games and North's low drawing power that would surely raise alarm for the AFL

I thought so too, but the incremental drip-feed release of seats in the AO members' section is probably to blame. I think that, for example, another 1,000 seats were only released on Friday. I'll ask someone from the club that I know why there were apparent spare seats.
Seats left in the corporate area going at 160 dollars each... Just a little hard rather reflecting lack of interest

That said this is the Series Game (and some say that can add up to 10000 to the crowd) and its the only game in Melbourne. If it can't draw early 60,000's even allowing for Geelong fans reluctance to go to Friday Night games and North's low drawing power that would surely raise alarm for the AFL

What are these finals series tickets? Obviously the AFL is shitting themselves about a poor turnout with the 20% offer being extended to all Geelong and North Melbourne members. Would not have happened if Essendon had made it.

What are these finals series tickets? Obviously the AFL is shitting themselves about a poor turnout with the 20% offer being extended to all Geelong and North Melbourne members. Would not have happened if Essendon had made it.

Packages of seats that are offered by the clubs and the AFL as part of their Grand Final corporate packages.

They all get included in the first day ticket sales that the AFL will release tonight / tomorrow (which gives an inflated total of tickets sold) but they don't necessarily show up on game day.

Packages of seats that are offered by the clubs and the AFL as part of their Grand Final corporate packages.

They all get included in the first day ticket sales that the AFL will release tonight / tomorrow (which gives an inflated total of tickets sold) but they don't necessarily show up on game day.

For North's sake, all their supporters better show up, as they 'invented' Friday night games before the AFL took the slot off them for being a minnow club.

So long as they're still in the finals they can still win it. Don't speak too soon.

I agree with you Dave. Had Collingwood been in Adelaide VS Port or had they been up against North it would have had a minimal if any impact on turnout at either game. Port V Pies would have drawn the 50/52,000 who in fact turned up and the Pies against North would have drawn pretty much what turned up to the Essendon game......less I think given that several thousand Pies members seem jaded and sated.

Its not the Pies or Cats fault but the reality is with no real expectation of winning theflag and with a "so what" attitude born of year on year top 4 and finals participation both clubs are just not the must see stuff they were a few years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back