Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much hinges on the Frawley compo.

Our regular first has to be a mid no question. P2?

If we got first round compo and were to trade it you'd think it would be for a mid. In the draft I think they'd be more open. As mentioned by others we also need a decent KPD but it sounds like there will be no options to justify such an early pick so mid or KPF.

True that, We need a Colin Garland/Lynden Dunn size defender who can actually be creative with the footy
A Luke Mcdonald if you will

Whilst mids are critical, we're so desperate all over the ground that well get value regardless.

Yes, the whole ground is one grotesque gaping a-hole of need. Other than drafting ruckmen with our first 5 picks, we can't really go wrong. My preference is still to get in gun midfielders though.

My thought process right now:

Chip goes to wherever. We get Band 1.

Picks 2 and 3 (barring a freak event this Saturday night)

If St Kilda take McCartin, take Petracca at 2
If GWS trade up to 1 OR St Kilda take Petracca take Brayshaw

Trade pick 3. Either to GWS for Shiel or to the Bulldogs for Hrovat in a Tyson deal.

I hear we are bigger on Wright than McCartin.

That said, I would be shocked if we used both picks. Reckon well trade at least 1 of them.

* Wright, Feel like McCartin is the better 'footballer' and we would be making the same mistake we have every year picking for upside rather than actual talent

That being said McCartin could be more Hurley than Darling

I hear we are bigger on Wright than McCartin.

That said, I would be shocked if we used both picks. Reckon well trade at least 1 of them.
Not sure why we would be after Wright.

Long term forward line of McCartin at FF, Hogan at CHF, Fitzy as resting ruck relief with Gawn in the Ruck looks good to me.

We do need to draft more depth in the ruck area but McCartin over Wright though.

You guys know Wright had 29 disposals, 14 marks and 4 goals last week?

McCartin is a Taylor Walker/Jack Darling type, whereas Wright is a Kurt Tippet/Mitch Clark type.

Buggered if I know who is the better player - but at least we get a 2-4-1 type in Wright.

Not sure why we would be after Wright.

Long term forward line of McCartin at FF, Hogan at CHF, Fitzy as resting ruck relief with Gawn in the Ruck looks good to me.

We do need to draft more depth in the ruck area but McCartin over Wright though.

Taking a ruckman in the first round would be so ******* dumb

Goldstein, Jacobs, Jamar, Martin etc, You dont need to blow a 1st rounder

We have Max Gawn, we don't need a ruckman

You guys know Wright had 29 disposals, 14 marks and 4 goals last week?

McCartin is a Taylor Walker/Jack Darling type, whereas Wright is a Kurt Tippet/Mitch Clark type.

Buggered if I know who is the better player - but at least we get a 2-4-1 type in Wright.

Stats mean nothing, he is playing against his own size kids...

Watts was a gun FF at junior level for * sake , Ive never seen a less key forward in my life
We have the 2 for 1 type, his name is Jack Fitzpatrick

Taking a ruckman in the first round would be so ******* dumb

Goldstein, Jacobs, Jamar, Martin etc, You dont need to blow a 1st rounder

We have Max Gawn, we don't need a ruckman

He's a forward who can ruck - not the other way around.

Go through the best forwards in the comp and see where they were drafted.

Taylor Walker is one of the only exceptions - and that only because Adelaide hid him in the country leagues.

Stats mean nothing, he is playing against his own size kids...

Watts was a gun FF at junior level for **** sake , Ive never seen a less key forward in my life
We have the 2 for 1 type, his name is Jack Fitzpatrick

Jezuz.. I just realised you also pinned Fitzpatrick as the answer.

You need to post less nick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a forward who can ruck - not the other way around.

Go through the best forwards in the comp and see where they were drafted.

Taylor Walker is one of the only exceptions - and that only because Adelaide hid him in the country leagues.

Was listening to a report about him and they still have no idea if he is a forward or a ruck, recruiters are still devided

Yeh that's what I gather - they are still trying to form a consensus on which is his main position.

If it's ruck, expect him to slide slightly.

If it's forward, he will go top 3.

Yeah I agree
If its me I would take the pure forward every day of the week over someone who plays 50/50 only because Mitch Clark and Kurt Tippet have probably rucked 10 midfield contests between them in the last 3 years and guys like Leigh Brown and Cam Pederson have been able to hold the post up easily

Give me McCartin any day. Wright is an absolute man child, and his height is going to make him susceptible to injuries, particularly as a key forward. Last thing we need is another forward with an unreliable back.

Absolutely no chance that we'll use two draft picks. I just hope that Roos and co set high standards for what we trade pick 3 for, like they did last year.

Pick 3 to the Dogs for Hrovat and pick 7
Pick 7 to GWS for O'Rouke and pick 21

pick 3 turns into Hrovat, O'Rouke and another youngster at pick 21
Like the first deal, not so much the second. Would rather just one really high quality youngster at pick 7 (Brayshaw or similar) than O'Rourke (who is talented but hasn't shown a lot, certainly not as much as Tyson) and 21.

Like the first deal, not so much the second. Would rather just one really high quality youngster at pick 7 (Brayshaw or similar) than O'Rourke (who is talented but hasn't shown a lot, certainly not as much as Tyson) and 21.
Agree the O'Rouke trade may be overs for him, I'm not sure what other youngsters will be available at pick 7, Brayshaw I think will be gone, Laverde and Weller are the only other 2 I would consider taking at that pick and O'Rouke with 2 pre season under his belt should have a bigger impact in 2015 and possibly have better career than them as well

With our later picks (40 and onwards) I'd be inclined to compromise on 'best available' and pick players who are either really quick or players that are really good kicks but slid because of other deficiencies. This might sound crazy but these are two abilities we really need to promote among our playing group, and it's something Brisbane did well last year. Admittedly they had 6 top 30 picks but all of the players are good by foot and can seriously run so they've been able to come on quickly and make an impact at AFL level and probably set really high standards among the playing group as well.

With our later picks (40 and onwards) I'd be inclined to compromise on 'best available' and pick players who are either really quick or players that are really good kicks but slid because of other deficiencies. This might sound crazy but these are two abilities we really need to promote among our playing group, and it's something Brisbane did well last year. Admittedly they had 6 top 30 picks but all of the players are good by foot and can seriously run so they've been able to come on quickly and make an impact at AFL level and probably set really high standards among the playing group as well.

I'm happy with getting guys to play specific roles, get a good kick off half back and teach him to defend seems easier than getting a good defender and teaching him to kick.

Sounds like billy stretch, could do with a few players like that though

If I read the words ' Converted to footy at 18' on any of our draftees profiles ill lose it
Concentrate on kids who can play footy please, no athletes
I dont care if they rip bongs and buy hookers on the weekend so long as they get the job done on the field

If I read the words ' Converted to footy at 18' on any of our draftees profiles ill lose it
Concentrate on kids who can play footy please, no athletes
I dont care if they rip bongs and buy hookers on the weekend so long as they get the job done on the field
Breaking news: Petracca and McCartin arrested in Bali for smuggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back