The 2014 TV Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As others have pointed out, give a few Thursday night games to the Crows and Power. With the AO right near the city, they have shown that they will fill it for most games. And give a few Sunday twilight games to the Eagles/Dockers. With a 4.40pm start time in the west, Subi will sell out like it always does anyway, and that's a 6.40pm start time in the east which will bring huge ratings, and the game is all wrapped up by 9pm-ish EST. And if they want to persist with Monday nights - just ensure the games are of high quality (not Saints and Blues again) and schedule a couple amongst the school holidays. Problems solved.
If scheduling Monday/Sunday night footy in June school holidays in Melb, make them games at Etihad not the G.

Wouldn't mind one of Collingwood's 'home' games against the Etihad tenant being played on a Sunday night...ie Pies v Kangas, Dogs or Saints at Etihad.

If scheduling Monday/Sunday night footy in June school holidays in Melb, make them games at Etihad not the G.

Wouldn't mind one of Collingwood's 'home' games against the Etihad tenant being played on a Sunday night...ie Pies v Kangas, Dogs or Saints at Etihad.
You wouldn't mind but I think most Collingwood fans hate Etihad. I agree Etihad is the best Monday night venue - surely you'd be going with Essendon hosting a smaller Victorian (ideally an Etihad tenant themselves) team to get a good crowd. Essendon vs North would be a cracking game for next year.

You wouldn't mind but I think most Collingwood fans hate Etihad. I agree Etihad is the best Monday night venue - surely you'd be going with Essendon hosting a smaller Victorian (ideally an Etihad tenant themselves) team to get a good crowd. Essendon vs North would be a cracking game for next year.
why cant the pies play at the MCG on a monday? oh thats right it effect their crowd average & Eddie will demand compo for it

Last edited:
Pretty ordinary figures for a sat night! Ch7 would have to be worried maybe Foxtel is eating into their figures more than expected.
well considering there was 5 games on Sat Afternoon / evening im sure people might have had a bit of a football overload for the day

Pretty ordinary figures for a sat night! Ch7 would have to be worried maybe Foxtel is eating into their figures more than expected.
Carlton's form and them playing league leaders wouldn't attract neutral viewers. The only saving grace of that game was the Buddy show.

The AFL banking their fixture and prime time tv slots on expecting the Big 4 in Melbourne to all play finals this year has backfired thanks to Richmond and Carlton's poor seasons. Even Essendon and Collingwood's form this year has been inconsistent as well as the two biggest supported non-Vic clubs - West Coast and Adelaide. Footy in SA going bang-gusters thanks to the Adelaide Oval has been able to cover the drop in Melbourne crowds but it doesn't help hide the drop in Melbourne tv audiences. IIRC we last had a dip in Victoria back in 2006 after 6 straight non-Vic premierships. It happens. It was only two years ago everyone was worried about footy in SA with both Port and Crows struggling.

Think TV reports 176 in regionals for Friday night - total FTA of 907, total rating 1183 with fox.
http://www.thinktv.com.au/SiteMedia/W3SVC371/Uploads/Documents/Weekly Ratings Report - Week 27 & 28 2014.pdf
Be interesting Wookie to find out if that is the 'total' regional figure Australia-wide or just the Victorian regional figure?

RegionalTAM usually only includes Vic regionals in their 'total' figures (along with Qld, NNSW & SNSW) and then has separate ratings each for both WA regionals and Tassie. SA regionals & NT are completely ignored.

Week 28 isn't out yet on RegionalTAM to check the Tassie and WA-reg figures. I would find it old if that figure of 176 was for the 'total' Australia-wide. Each Friday night Tassie and WA-reg. on average have 100k combined leaving just 76k for Vic-reg. despite its 1.7m population. A total of 276 for (Vic-reg. + WA-reg. + Tassie) would make more sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be interesting Wookie to find out if that is the 'total' regional figure Australia-wide or just the Victorian regional figure?

RegionalTAM usually only includes Vic regionals in their 'total' figures (along with Qld, NNSW & SNSW) and then has separate ratings each for both WA regionals and Tassie. SA regionals & NT are completely ignored.

Week 28 isn't out yet on RegionalTAM to check the Tassie and WA-reg figures. I would find it old if that figure of 176 was for the 'total' Australia-wide. Each Friday night Tassie and WA-reg. on average have 100k combined leaving just 76k for Vic-reg. despite its 1.7m population. A total of 276 for (Vic-reg. + WA-reg. + Tassie) would make more sense.

Its pretty much Victoria only. Regional TAM whcih covers Regional WA and Tas wont be out until next week, and regional SA isnt covered at all. Tasmania is averaging 56 and WA 46..so another 100 isnt out of the question.

I emailed RegionalTAM almost two months ago asking if they could send me the Thursday/Friday night AFL regional ratings for rounds 9 & 10. After a few emails back and forth, they've now sent me the Friday night Victorian regional ratings for those rounds. It's not everything I asked for (I wanted the total nationwide regional ratings as well) but beggars can't be choosers when RegionalTAM normally request a fee for this info.

--------------------------

Hi MT

Sorry for the delay in my response, I have been on annual leave.

We would normally charge for these figures but I am happy to supply them to you this time. AUD is the average audience across the telecast.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Tania

Regional TAM Sales and Marketing Manager

vic-regional-ratings-r8-r10-2014.jpg

Last edited:
The trend continues, still nothing for either Fox or Ch7 to smile about. Also nothing for AFL to smile about either, if FoxFooty numbers are going backwards it doesn't bode well for them increasing their bid, the internet rights too aren't going to go up either as Telstra has not done well out of them either. Add in fact FTA advertising revenue has not increased greatly over that time, it all means that those talking of $2b rights deal will be in for a big let down.

The trend continues, still nothing for either Fox or Ch7 to smile about. Also nothing for AFL to smile about either, if FoxFooty numbers are going backwards it doesn't bode well for them increasing their bid, the internet rights too aren't going to go up either as Telstra has not done well out of them either. Add in fact FTA advertising revenue has not increased greatly over that time, it all means that those talking of $2b rights deal will be in for a big let down.

Hasn't this idea that rights will go down or not reach lofty targets happen every bid cycle and the opposite is what usually happens.

2 billion wont happen. If theres an increase at all, it will be because of further manipulation of the schedule - night grand finals and such, and even then I expect a top out at about 1.5 billion - possibly less if the AFL does its own streaming in Australia.

As for ad revenues, its apparently ok as long as you arent channel 10.

2 billion wont happen. If theres an increase at all, it will be because of further manipulation of the schedule - night grand finals and such, and even then I expect a top out at about 1.5 billion - possibly less if the AFL does its own streaming in Australia.

As for ad revenues, its apparently ok as long as you arent channel 10.
The last rights deal Ch7 paid overs, personally predicting somewhere around $1.4bn, but as you say if the AFL do their own streaming then that will be lower.

Hasn't this idea that rights will go down or not reach lofty targets happen every bid cycle and the opposite is what usually happens.
No, last two rights deal people were openly forecasting a rise in the price. 2 bids ago the estimates were actually quite accurate, the last rights deal was above predictions, but there was some major changes in the rights with Foxtel allowed to broadcast all matches live and scheduling changes to satisy this and Ch7 (3pm Sunday, Friday night later start). The AFL has trialed a number of things in the last couple of years, purely aimed at the tv audience, unfortuantely much of it has been hated by fans and had to be scrapped (Sunday & Mondy nights).

So not really sure how much room to manouver the AFL has, a night GF might be a talking point but the impact on tv ratings will actually be very little. When you have something that everyone already watches, changing the time isn't going to help get many more people to watch it because they're aren't that many people not watching it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back