The 2014 TV Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That Fox number for Hawks/Swans is the highest fox number this year.
Would be interested to know what the Waratahs v Brumbies Super 15 semi final got on Saturday night up against the Swans v Hawthorn. I understand that Swans fans in Sydney share a similar demographic with RU supporters. 80k is very solid for 7mate.

Would be interested to know what the Waratahs v Brumbies Super 15 semi final got on Saturday night up against the Swans v Hawthorn. I understand that Swans fans in Sydney share a similar demographic with RU supporters. 80k is very solid for 7mate.
Wasn't on FTA. 248k nationally on Fox Sports.

Is it possible that say people in Perth that have ratings boxes, all what 500 to 1000 of them I guess, do not have all channels like 7mate, oneHD, etc?

Or are the ratings boxes digital tuners themselves?

The fall off in viewers in Perth now that footy is on 7mate mainly doesn't make sense to me.
If the people who have these ratings boxes don't have HD TV, that could explain why 7mate ratings are so low?
Perhaps?
Thoughts?

Is it possible that say people in Perth that have ratings boxes, all what 500 to 1000 of them I guess, do not have all channels like 7mate, oneHD, etc?

The fall off in viewers in Perth now that footy is on 7mate mainly doesn't make sense to me.
If the people who have these ratings boxes don't have HD TV, that could explain why 7mate ratings are so low?
Perhaps?
Thoughts?
Well analogue has been switched off for quite a while here now so im guessing everyone would have access to 7mate etc.

Perhaps?
Thoughts?

On the topic of multichannel programming, I found the ratings for the Commonwealth games on One and 10 interesting
6:00-8:30 345k (One)
8:30-9:30 544k (One)
9:30-10:30 911k (10)
So the audience nearly doubled just from being on a main channel, despite 9:30 generally being a lower rating timeslot than 8:30.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-2014-tv-ratings-thread.1049098/page-23#post-34203886

The above is a huge part of your answer IMO.

Why is there a big desrepancy ?, i think the ratings system is quite flawed.

Well analogue has been switched off for quite a while here now so im guessing everyone would have access to 7mate etc.
Yeh, but if some folks got a cheapie SD only set top box a few years back to be digital ready, they wouldn't have the HD channels.

On the topic of multichannel programming, I found the ratings for the Commonwealth games on One and 10 interesting

So the audience nearly doubled just from being on a main channel, despite 9:30 generally being a lower rating timeslot than 8:30.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-2014-tv-ratings-thread.1049098/page-23#post-34203886

Yep I do too. I wonder if the ratings company is aware if all of their clients have all of the channels?

Old people still sit on the original channels

Yeh, but if some folks got a cheapie SD only set top box a few years back to be digital ready, they wouldn't have the HD channels.

There's more to it than that. One is broadcast in both HD (Channel 1) and SD (Channel 12). Yet around double the people will watch the same programming when it's on Channel 10 as opposed to One. It doesn't make sense, but there are an awful lot of people that are creatures of habit. They rarely watch the multichannels and won't bother checking the TV guide. Flick it on, check the main channels and if there's anything they want to watch they'll keep it there. If not, they'll probably put it on the latest piece of reality dross and listen to their brains turn to mush.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally do not have 7mate, gem, one as my lcd is effectively just a panel with analogue only tuner. I have foxtel IQ2 and fox dont carry these channels where i am on gold coast. So i don't watch anything on these channels. I do have second tv in another room that does get them but not in main living room. So if i had a ratings box would i skew the ratings as i dont have 3 channels?

I personally do not have 7mate, gem, one as my lcd is effectively just a panel with analogue only tuner. I have foxtel IQ2 and fox dont carry these channels where i am on gold coast. So i don't watch anything on these channels. I do have second tv in another room that does get them but not in main living room. So if i had a ratings box would i skew the ratings as i dont have 3 channels?

I would be happy to hear from anyone who had or knew someone who had the magical ratings box.

I have been round a while and never heard of anyone who has had one or knew of someone who had one.

I am not saying they don't exist, obviously they do, lets just say i am quite sceptical of the whole system no matter what mathematitians or statistitians point out. ( sp)

Yesterday the Eagles rated 85k in Perth, i really think this number is wrong.

If the Eagles had played at home yesterday at that time you would probably have the same ratings but an extra 40k at the ground, i actually went to watch West Perth play Swan Districts yesterday and i, like many other people turned up a little late because they were obviously watching the end of the Eagles agame on tele, the game was no blow out with a Eagles victory and it was generally one of the better games to watch.

I just dont buy that number.

BTW SWan Districts have the best travelling fans in the WAFL by a country mile, the really have a big passionate travelling fan base, although they were getting flogged.

Last edited:
I would be happy to hear from anyone who had or knew someone who had the magical ratings box.

I have been round a while and never heard of anyone who has had one or knew of someone who had one.

I am not saying they don't exist, obviously they do, lets just say i am quite sceptical of the whole system no matter what mathematitians or statistitians point out. ( sp)

Yesterday the Eagles rated 85k in Perth, i really think this number is wrong.

If the Eagles had played at home yesterday at that time you would probably have the same ratings but an extra 40k at the ground, i actually went to watch West Perth play Swan Districts yesterday and i, like many other people turned up a little late because they were obviously watching the end of the Eagles agame on tele, the game was no blow out with a Eagles victory and it was generally one of the better games to watch.

I just dont buy that number.

BTW SWan Districts have the best travelling fans in the WAFL by a country mile, the really have a big passionate travelling fan base, although they were getting flogged.
There was a debate about how the ratings are collected on Jon Faines show on ABC radio last week and the Age TV writer Debbi Enker was saying as the city commercial TV stations own the rating agency it favours them the way its collected.They also only do an estimate most of the time and it can be out a long way.She also suggested that they tend to tell the commercial stations what they want to hear.

There was a debate about how the ratings are collected on Jon Faines show on ABC radio last week and the Age TV writer Debbi Enker was saying as the city commercial TV stations own the rating agency it favours them the way its collected.They also only do an estimate most of the time and it can be out a long way.She also suggested that they tend to tell the commercial stations what they want to hear.
http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/research/bitstream/handle/10453/23386/02whole.pdf
a bit of interesting reading. it compares the ratings AFL vs NRL.
but more importantly it explains how what OZTAM is and how it collects the ratings
interesting its part owned by all 3 commericial networks
approximately 3,000 homes across measured markets for the metro OZTAM
approximately 2,000 homes across measured markets. for Regional OZTAM
regional WA and SA and Tassie are not measures.
so approximately 5000 ratings boxes represent 23 million Australians
at best it could only be used as a rough indicator, but the ratings are pretty much a load of crap

but more importantly it explains how what OZTAM is and how it collects the ratings
at best it could only be used as a rough indicator, but the ratings are pretty much a load of crap

Its also three years old - dates from 2011. Ratings are like any other statistical sampling - for crap

Has to be pretty rough IMO, but i remeber some convo from ages ago where statisticians reckon it was spot on ( the number of boxes) that represents 23 million people.

But my real question is does anyone actually know someone or someone who knows someone that has had one of the majical boxes.

Does anyone ?.

That remains a mystery to me.

Has to be pretty rough IMO, but i remeber some convo from ages ago where statisticians reckon it was spot on ( the number of boxes) that represents 23 million people.

But my real question is does anyone actually know someone or someone who knows someone that has had one of the majical boxes.

Does anyone ?.

That remains a mystery to me.
It is pretty rough, it's interesting in finding out the 3 commercial net works own OzTAM, the system is there to protect their own investments.

Good luck in finding one of the 5k out of 23 million. There is better luck in winning the jackpot in the lotto draw and paying some a private investigator dude to do it for you

It is pretty rough, it's interesting in finding out the 3 commercial net works own OzTAM, the system is there to protect their own investments.

Good luck in finding one of the 5k out of 23 million. There is better luck in winning the jackpot in the lotto draw and paying some a private investigator dude to do it for you

:) fair enough, although it should not be to hard to find someone, Danny could probably do it with 6 degrees.

https://www.qbd.com.au/product/9780140269499

Remove this Banner Ad

Back