The 2014 TV Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL is more established in its non-heartland states than the NRL is in theirs, but considering the time and resources the AFL has committed to those areas, so it should be, and really the difference should be a lot greater than it is, particularly when looking at ratings.

The NRL doesn't rate 'close' to the AFL, both codes rate pretty much neck and neck. The length of the two games would obviously come into it when ratings are averaged over the length of the program, but that doesn't negate the ratings of the NRL. The game rates well because people watch it, people watch it because it's popular, trying to come up with excuses for why their ratings are wrong because it doesn't fit a prejudiced belief or judgement that it couldn't possibly rate as well as AFL, is arrogant, and for the purposes of this thread, pointless.
You can come up with reasons why the AFL is more established in it's non-heartland areas but that not what I'm arguing I'm just stating it is. But you fall back to ratings which appears to be the only statistical anomally when comparing the although I concede it's a big one. It would be the same as an aussie rules fan pointing to just crowds, membership, participation or revenue and saying it's twice as big.

I'm just putting my 2 bobs worth in why I think The NRL punch above it's weight with TV ratings or perhaps it the AFL punching below it's weight.

You can come up with reasons why the AFL is more established in it's non-heartland areas but that not what I'm arguing I'm just stating it is. But you fall back to ratings which appears to be the only statistical anomally when comparing the although I concede it's a big one. It would be the same as an aussie rules fan pointing to just crowds, membership, participation or revenue and saying it's twice as big.

I'm just putting my 2 bobs worth in why I think The NRL punch above it's weight with TV ratings or perhaps it the AFL punching below it's weight.
What's the thread called?

The AFL is more established in its non-heartland states than the NRL is in theirs, but considering the time and resources the AFL has committed to those areas, so it should be, and really the difference should be a lot greater than it is, particularly when looking at ratings.

The NRL doesn't rate 'close' to the AFL, both codes rate pretty much neck and neck. The length of the two games would obviously come into it when ratings are averaged over the length of the program, but that doesn't negate the ratings of the NRL. The game rates well because people watch it, people watch it because it's popular, trying to come up with excuses for why their ratings are wrong because it doesn't fit a prejudiced belief or judgement that it couldn't possibly rate as well as AFL, is arrogant, and for the purposes of this thread, pointless.

Dismissing other peoples arguments out of hand is a touch arrogant in itself. Theres nothing wrong with critical assessment of how ratings are devised. Please also remember you're on a forum dedicated to Australian football.

Its also important to remember tv ratings is but one aspect of what makes a code. Considering the AFL last year had revenues topping 500 million - and makes a tonne more than the NRL from non broadcast resources, not to mention memberships and attendances - theres far more to being successful than just tv.

Dismissing other peoples arguments out of hand is a touch arrogant in itself. Theres nothing wrong with critical assessment of how ratings are devised. Please also remember you're on a forum dedicated to Australian football.
I didn't dismiss it out of hand, I provided reasons why I disagreed with it.

I appreciate it is an AR forum, I didn't bring the NRL up, I only responded to others who did and made clear arguments why I believed their assertions were incorrect and grounded in AFL fervour.

Its also important to remember tv ratings is but one aspect of what makes a code. Considering the AFL last year had revenues topping 500 million - and makes a tonne more than the NRL from non broadcast resources, not to mention memberships and attendances - theres far more to being successful than just tv.
Of course, but this thread is about tv ratings.

Actually this thread is specifically about AFL tv ratings.
If ratings weren't relative to other programming nobody would care about them, which is probably why the AFL TV Ratings thread is full of your fantastic tables comparing ratings with other codes.

If ratings weren't relative to other programming nobody would care about them, which is probably why the AFL TV Ratings thread is full of your fantastic tables comparing ratings with other codes.

thats flatly not true. its possible to care about AFL ratings without giving two hoots about the ratings of other codes. We have year on year comparisons to draw on to decide whether we are growing or shrinking. The TV ratings thread actually has minimal data on other codes posted with the exception of the NRL grand final.

Theres an AFL v NRL thread that exists for a reason, take the discussion there. That goes for everyone in this matter.

thats flatly not true. its possible to care about AFL ratings without giving two hoots about the ratings of other codes. We have year on year comparisons to draw on to decide whether we are growing or shrinking. The TV ratings thread actually has minimal data on other codes posted with the exception of the NRL grand final.

Theres an AFL v NRL thread that exists for a reason, take the discussion there. That goes for everyone in this matter.
I meant in the general sense, if your programming is losing ratings chances are they are going to rival programming, hence why ratings are inherently relative. With an increasingly fragmented audience, ratings can't be looked at in isolation to determine whether they are growing or shrinking, market share is becoming more important.

The NRL doesn't rate 'close' to the AFL, both codes rate pretty much neck and neck. The length of the two games would obviously come into it when ratings are averaged over the length of the program, but that doesn't negate the ratings of the NRL.

Actually, it does. Averages over 2 hours are obviously not comparable to averages over 3 hours. I can certainly vouch for what Hoops was saying about overall viewers - a few years ago astra used to publish this figure alongside the average viewers on Fox. NRL averages were generally higher, yet on actual viewer numbers AFL games had a lot more. The last few years with AFL averages on Fox being a lot higher (and well and truly comparable with NRL) due to better coverage, it's not hard to draw the conclusion that the gap in actual viewers has increased significantly, even if the average numbers are similar.

The numbers are this

Regional
http://www.regionaltam.com.au/?page_id=19#
............pop...........AFL........NRL
Qld......1,807.1k......6.5%......22.7%
NNSW...2,118.8k.....7.1%......19.4%
SNSW...1,433.9k....12.4%.....24.3%
Vic.......1,184.8k....21.5%.....10.9%
Tas......519.1k......22.2%.......8.9%
WA......528.9k......17.0%.......9.3%

Metro
http://www.oztam.com.au/documents/Other/Metro_Universe_Estimates_2014_OzTAM 191213 V2 no STV_1.pdf
............pop...........AFL.........NRL
Syd......4,797.5......11.5%......23.6%
Mel.......4,732.4.....27.7%......10.0%
Bris......3,113.1......8.8%.......18.8%
Adel.....1,449.5.....20.8%.......7.7%
Perth....1,981.2.....19.0%......7.3%
Thanks Hoops. I forgot Greater Geelong and Westernport region are included in the Melbourne metro ratings.

Curiously, the combined tv 'population' of Sydney (which matches the actual pop.), NNSW & SNSW in those figures is around 700k more than the actual 7.5m population of NSW.

Excluding the Riverina region (which is included in the regional Victoria tv population), then we're talking almost 800k-900k imaginary tv viewers in regional NSW ....

WTF? o_O

Apparently Nine seem to think that ratings in general, and regionals in particular, are worth something.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/busines...124938934?nk=4cd8d0e9df9a0c463f460d5f66e87e23

NINE chief David Gyngell will celebrate the one-year anniversary of his network’s sharemarket listing knowing his National Rugby League-powered schedule has bowled over Seven’s AFL for bragging rights over the most watched shows.

While Nine’s billion-dollar five-year rugby league deal delivered the network the top three rating shows of the year, Seven’s AFL final came fifth — behind Seven’s own My Kitchen Rules final.

The second State of Origin game took out the top spot with 4 million viewers, closely followed by the first game with 3.98 million.

The historic league final win by the South Sydney Rabbitohs took out third place with 3.96 million viewers.

The AFL Grand Final attracted 3.6 million viewers behind the My Kitchen Rules final, which attracted 3.7 million viewers.

Under new chief Gillon McLachlan the AFL wants to beat its previous $1.25 billion windfall in broadcast negotiations, which have already kicked off.

Gyngell has said Nine would throw its hat into the ring against Seven and Ten for a stoush over AFL rights, but he wouldn’t endanger league rights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ratings in the above article referred to the 5 metro cities not regionals.

Again they did not include NZ as well.

re aussie rules and soccer compare like for like.

Compare the socceroos biggest international game of the year verses the biggest gaelic/aussie rules game of the year.

Do you think it might be approaching the Fox number? (just curious, it seems to me to be the sort of thing people would be interested in streaming)

I'm not sure. Anecdotally I knew a lot of people watching it that way, which is what has piqued my curiosity. Would also be interesting from a broadcast rights perspective.

I'm not sure. Anecdotally I knew a lot of people watching it that way, which is what has piqued my curiosity. Would also be interesting from a broadcast rights perspective.

Is there anyone (any organisation) out there trying to capture this sort of info accurately? It seems to me that a massive gap is emerging in how we (companies, marketers, etc) measure what people are interested in. Theoretically, such measurement should be more accurate than what currently happens with TV viewing, although there might be an argument that there remains a big difference between someone watching a TV show, and someone streaming something in a small window on their PC while doing other stuff. Marketers would have started researching this sort of thing for sure by now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back