The 2014 TV Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We're only three rounds in but Carlton's poor form is likely to seriously damage the ratings this year. Despite being an average team (an 11-11 record in the H & A last year and with nothing to suggest they were likely to become a top 4 side) they were amazingly gifted 7 Friday night games plus prime time FTA spots on a Thursday and a Sunday. Really dumb scheduling from McLachlan and the AFL to put so many Carlton eggs in the prime time basket.

Wookie how do the ratings agencies measure how many people are watching at pubs and clubs which for a big Friday game could be 100,000 plus?

Do they just estimate it or just count the TVs switched on to a particular show?

Even though they aren't counted in ratings, I'm sure they're factored in when broadcasting agreements are made. Would assume it's a fair number.

Will be very interested to see the numbers for Essendon-Carlton. Given the decent crowd, a big TV number could influence the Sunday night experiment for next year. As would a low one.

Ive no idea. Everything ive seen says they simply arent counted. Ratings boxes are in homes not businesses.

So they have NFI of the real numbers? and we should take their figures with a grain of salt!

Sport is very different to normal programming which wouldnt have a great viewing number in clubs and pubs another group they most likely dont count is all the people staying in hotels and motels as they get a feed so not every TV in the rooms would be counted.

We're only three rounds in but Carlton's poor form is likely to seriously damage the ratings this year. Despite being an average team (an 11-11 record in the H & A last year and with nothing to suggest they were likely to become a top 4 side) they were amazingly gifted 7 Friday night games plus prime time FTA spots on a Thursday and a Sunday. Really dumb scheduling from McLachlan and the AFL to put so many Carlton eggs in the prime time basket.

Could work out all right as the supporters of teams playing Carlton may make up the difference as they smell a victory.

Sun TV #AFL Seven night 442k (Mel 341k Ade 101k) 7mate 98k (Syd 16k Bri 15k Per 66k)

Sun TV #AFL arvo Seven Ade 139k 7mate Syd 34k

Sun STV #AFL #AFLDonsBlues 245k #AFLNorthPower 263k #AFLGiantsDees 170k

Those Sunday night ratings were to be expected as the game was a blowout. It it was close they would have been very high. Good ratings for North v Port on Fox Footy and 7 Adelaide.

2014AFLseasonratingsR3.png

Sydney and Adelaide up. Fox breaking even. Metro down 1%. Oh yeah.

Channel 7 would be seriously worried about these numbers, solid falls in two of the main markets is not what they'd want. Adelaide is making the overall figures look a hell of a lot better than they really are. It's not even as if they are migrating to Fox either.

If 7 had any brains, they'd tell the AFL to stop scheduling Perth teams at 4:30 on a Friday arvo. It's no wonder ratings are down in Perth when the AFL pull s**t like that.

If 7 had any brains, they'd tell the AFL to stop scheduling Perth teams at 4:30 on a Friday arvo. It's no wonder ratings are down in Perth when the AFL pull s**t like that.
C7 never paid for the right to control the schedule, I think it's bad for football in general scheduling WA away games on Friday night though, the perfect Sunday night game would involve a Melbourne team and a WA-SA team, but as I said C7 have to pay if they want the AFL to schedule more ratings friendly games, C9 paid plenty to control the NRL schedule.

I thought last nights Perth numbers were appalling, 5.30 Sunday start and they struggled to hit 60k.

C7 never paid for the right to control the schedule, I think it's bad for football in general scheduling WA away games on Friday night though, the perfect Sunday night game would involve a Melbourne team and a WA-SA team, but as I said C7 have to pay if they want the AFL to schedule more ratings friendly games, C9 paid plenty to control the NRL schedule.

I thought last nights Perth numbers were appalling, 5.30 Sunday start and they struggled to hit 60k.

You'd think it's just common sense. What does the AFL gain from doing that? I reckon they just never thought about it, because they're a bunch of narrow minded twats. Freo v Gold Coast got 150k viewers on 7mate on a Saturday despite 35k being at the game. So you could easily argue that the rubbish timeslot cost 100k viewers for the other 2 Freo games because they were on Friday afternoon. More if 7 decided to show the game on the main channel.

And as far as last night goes, you're probably right. Being on 7mate probably cost 30k viewers though, maybe more.

Sun TV #AFL Seven night 442k (Mel 341k Ade 101k) 7mate 98k (Syd 16k Bri 15k Per 66k)

Sun TV #AFL arvo Seven Ade 139k 7mate Syd 34k

Sun STV #AFL #AFLDonsBlues 245k #AFLNorthPower 263k #AFLGiantsDees 170k

Those Sunday night ratings were to be expected as the game was a blowout. It it was close they would have been very high. Good ratings for North v Port on Fox Footy and 7 Adelaide.

Very ordinary for a Sunday in prime time I also think the number of FTA choices is starting to have an efffect on overall ratings on the main channels plus having Fox doing all the games live would take some away.Way too much footy might also been putting people off.

I remember back in the days when boxing became a very big sport on TV with it on live on all channels so in the end it died as a TV sport from over exposure people just got sick of it - so the AFL and CH 7 & through their greed might just kill the golden goose.

A lot of people havent got the time to watch a lot of games over the weekend esp the casual viewers who have many other choices now a days

Now who is being silly here, C7 just aren't as blatant about it as Nine, why do we have 3:15pm start times in Melbourne on a Sunday then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now who is being silly here, C7 just aren't as blatant about it as Nine, why do we have 3:15pm start times in Melbourne on a Sunday then?

It was a compromise, the AFL wanted live Sunday games and C7 wanted a lead up to the news, C7 didn't care if the game was live or not, they've shown delayed 3pm Sunday football for years.

And C7 just aren't as blatant about compared to C9? C9 get targeted Friday night games pretty much every week, do you honestly think they got that for free?

And I'd say it's you who's being silly,

Historically, it was a delayed telecast of the afternoon game from 1 or 2pm. The 3.15 start times now are part of the compromise that gave us live Friday nights. The Sunday game was always delayed on seven so that it ended right when the News did. When the AFL demanded live coverage, they got Friday night, Saturday night live, and in order to broadcast Sunday live, seven requested it be a 3pm start. Note that the Sunday night game was broadcast live as well.

It was a compromise, the AFL wanted live Sunday games and C7 wanted a lead up to the news, C7 didn't care if the game was live or not, they've shown delayed 3pm Sunday football for years.

And C7 just aren't as blatant about compared to C9? C9 get targeted Friday night games pretty much every week, do you honestly think they got that for free?

And I'd say it's you who's being silly,
I never for one moment said that Nine don't have a major influence in the NRL fixture, the NRL has even admitted so, just look at the fixture and the match times are only set 5 weeks in advance, so don't try and falsify my comments.

Historically, it was a delayed telecast of the afternoon game from 1 or 2pm. The 3.15 start times now are part of the compromise that gave us live Friday nights. The Sunday game was always delayed on seven so that it ended right when the News did. When the AFL demanded live coverage, they got Friday night, Saturday night live, and in order to broadcast Sunday live, seven requested it be a 3pm start. Note that the Sunday night game was broadcast live as well.
I was refering also to the fixture. The draw is compromised to ensure that the big clubs with larger supporter bases are given prime spots. Just look back to when the Bulldogs were making preliminary finals and even then sides that were not finals contenders like Essendon got more Friday night games than them. C7 have given the AFL a set of guidelines for the fixturing and the AFL has then gone about doing a draw to meet those guidelines, it's not quite to the Nine deal with the NRL, but they still have more influence on the fixture than the ladder or the clubs do.

I never for one moment said that Nine don't have a major influence in the NRL fixture, the NRL has even admitted so, just look at the fixture and the match times are only set 5 weeks in advance, so don't try and falsify my comments.
You said "C7 just aren't as blatant as it as C9", I'm not sure what you're on about TBH mate.

I was refering also to the fixture. The draw is compromised to ensure that the big clubs with larger supporter bases are given prime spots. Just look back to when the Bulldogs were making preliminary finals and even then sides that were not finals contenders like Essendon got more Friday night games than them. C7 have given the AFL a set of guidelines for the fixturing and the AFL has then gone about doing a draw to meet those guidelines, it's not quite to the Nine deal with the NRL, but they still have more influence on the fixture than the ladder or the clubs do.

Crowd figures influence the Friday night fixture more than anything.

Supporters surely cant expect AFL handouts to their clubs & to also get the fixturing they want. Fixturing is how the AFL get the big media deals. You cant have it both ways.
It would be interesting to see if we actually had an even & fair fixture. Would that increase attendances? If not then costs would need to be cut, footy department, administration & maybe player payments, :eek:, well thats the end of that then:rolleyes:!!

The old 8.30 delayed Friday night games out-rated the current Friday night live games on average, Victorian fans preferred the 8.30 time slot, but with the explosion of social media the AFL were concerned they were losing to many viewers through spoilers-score posters on twitter-Facebook etc.

The AFLs dream ratings HaA game would involve West Coast hosting a Victorian power team, live 8.30 in Melbourne, I've seen such games go close to a million in the 5 cities, but we rarely have them.

Supporters surely cant expect AFL handouts to their clubs & to also get the fixturing they want. Fixturing is how the AFL get the big media deals. You cant have it both ways.
It would be interesting to see if we actually had an even & fair fixture. Would that increase attendances? If not then costs would need to be cut, footy department, administration & maybe player payments, :eek:, well thats the end of that then:rolleyes:!!
It's defintiely a catch 22 situation, whereby the AFL needs to find a balance, the current system has major flaws in it, but do a fair and even draw for all clubs would also create issues with media partners. I just think that some need to accept that the AFL has gone down the path of equalisation through financial support to clubs over a fair draw to maximise the value of the tv rights, it is really not that much different to most major sports in the world. The only exception to bowing to the tv stations is in European soccer competitions where in UEFA competitions all games in the final round must start at the same time because of the issue of promotion and relegation.

The old 8.30 delayed Friday night games out-rated the current Friday night live games on average, Victorian fans preferred the 8.30 time slot, but with the explosion of social media the AFL were concerned they were losing to many viewers through spoilers-score posters on twitter-Facebook etc.

The AFLs dream ratings HaA game would involve West Coast hosting a Victorian power team, live 8.30 in Melbourne, I've seen such games go close to a million in the 5 cities, but we rarely have them.
Fox Footy is the reason the 8.30 FTA games rated higher than the 7pm FTA game. If 7 had exclusive live FNF then that would smash what the 8.30 delay game used to get.

Fox Footy is the reason the 8.30 FTA games rated higher than the 7pm FTA game. If 7 had exclusive live FNF then that would smash what the 8.30 delay game used to get.
I factored in the Fox numbers, and remember regional Fox viewers are added to the overall Fox numbers as well.

I factored in the Fox numbers, and remember regional Fox viewers are added to the overall Fox numbers as well.

There is no way FTA + fox gets less viewers now than the FTA only numbers 7 had when they delayed it. Not even close.

I remember the first year 7 did it, the numbers for 7 were pretty much the same with an extra 250k or so on Fox every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back