The 2015 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney Swans v North Melbourne 31,162

Looked a shocker on Tv.

Couldn't imagine going to a final with less people there than every single one of our home games this year.

Sydney Folk just don't revolve their lives around sport unlike Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

Times like these I feel privileged to of been born into a large Melbourne club, I think we take for granted how large and significant our crowds are.

35,711 at Allianz for the all Sydney game in the NRL.
That's a pretty decent crowd for NRL.

Outside Swans matches and Sydney A-League derby.... How often do we see 30k at a Sydney Sporting event (for domestic comps).

Looked a shocker on Tv.

Couldn't imagine going to a final with less people there than every single one of our home games this year.

Sydney Folk just don't revolve their lives around sport unlike Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

Times like these I feel privileged to of been born into a large Melbourne club, I think we take for granted how large and significant our crowds are.
Keeping in mind Sydney home matches aren't far below Richmond's in relation to home supporter numbers, like how Adelaide and Port have outdrawn all Melbourne clubs this year...

Richmond have shown the capacity to draw enormous crowds for a Victorian club this year, only probably beneath Collingwood. I don't Richmond has a large supporter base but they convert a high % into game dwelling fans. A very impressive effort. If Collingwood converted the same % their crowds would surely almost be double their long term average?

The Hawks have pulled another very large big match crowd. They are clearly in a different level to all other non - big 4 Victorian teams, including Geelong. Their membership also far exceeds Carlton and Essendon.

Richmond have shown the capacity to draw enormous crowds for a Victorian club this year, only probably beneath Collingwood. I don't Richmond has a large supporter base but they convert a high % into game dwelling fans. A very impressive effort. If Collingwood converted the same % their crowds would surely almost be double their long term average?

The Hawks have pulled another very large big match crowd. They are clearly in a different level to all other non - big 4 Victorian teams, including Geelong. Their membership also far exceeds Carlton and Essendon.
Hawks fans love a 'blockbuster'. They will turn out in the droves for a high profile match that's going to be a competition yet won't turn up for games that they will win hands down against lower sides. They have the biggest swinging crowd in the league.

Keeping in mind Sydney home matches aren't far below Richmond's in relation to home supporter numbers, like how Adelaide and Port have outdrawn all Melbourne clubs this year...

Richmond home ground average is 49000 while Sydney's is 31000...
I would say that is a fair difference..

But I was not specifically talking about Richmond rather, but how lucky I am to be a supporter of any of the probably big 5 Melbourne teams, west coast or Adelaide and the fact that as supporters of these clubs we look at 50000 crowds as pretty standard when they are really a fantastic effort.

Hawks fans love a 'blockbuster'. They will turn out in the droves for a high profile match that's going to be a competition yet won't turn up for games that they will win hands down against lower sides. They have the biggest swinging crowd in the league.

Keep in mind Hawthorn's fan base has been built entirely on their post 1970 success. They are completely different to all other Victorian club given that a large swath of their membership / support is drawn from supporters that historically supported different clubs (the ultimate bandwagon club)

Another thing to consider is that Hawthorn's success in recent years has created a blockbuster complex amongst members (where 7/10 MCG games drew 60k plus where the other 7 Melbourne games drew average crowds).

Go back to 2007/2012 and it was a different scenario...the swing was no where near as prominent

Hawthorn is in a different league to all other non big 4 Vic clubs, but will never have the rust on (despite its success) that the big 4 will always draw on. Well maybe one day, but they are a generation (or perhaps two) from matching those clubs. Its constant success since 1897 / 1908 vs 1961 onwards

The interstate clubs are a different proposition with the Eagles dwarfing all Vic clubs

Last edited:
Looked a shocker on Tv.

Pretty harsh. Would have likely sold out the SCG and been lauded as a terrific crowd

The Swans have a sizeable fan base in Sydney and Melbourne. I think they would surprise most with just how many fans they have across the country

Pretty harsh. Would have likely sold out the SCG and been lauded as a terrific crowd

The Swans have a sizeable fan base in Sydney and Melbourne. I think they would surprise most with just how many fans they have across the country

I think Swans fans have lost interest since with all their injuries and Buddy out for the rest of the season. Still would have got more at the SCG but not much more.

Looked a shocker on Tv.

Melbourne is becoming a lot more like Sydney lately. We've seen a drop off in crowds here this in recent years. I went to Adelaide twice this year and they are totally fixated on footy over there. So many Crows and Power fans wear their footy gear even when their team isn't playing It just feels like footy is the only thing going on there. Melbourne used to be like that but is far more diverse now

Richmond home ground average is 49000 while Sydney's is 31000...
I would say that is a fair difference..
I think he was referring to the split of home crowds in Sydney compared to a Melbourne crowd.

Such as a swans match at SCG, 80% of fans are Sydney swans fans & 20% opposition fans
Say a Richmond v Pies, Hawks, Bombers etc @ MCG/Etihad. Richmond home match maybe 60-65% tigers fans & 35-40% other fans

Even so of they were rusted on passionate fans like in some other parts of the country it wouldn't matter where the final was being played.

I think Swans fans have lost interest since with all their injuries and Buddy out for the rest of the season. Still would have got more at the SCG but not much more.

"Melbourne is becoming a lot more like Sydney lately. We've seen a drop off in crowds here this in recent years. I went to Adelaide twice this year and they are totally fixated on footy over there. So many Crows and Power fans wear their footy gear even when their team isn't playing It just feels like footy is the only thing going on there. Melbourne used to be like that but is far more diverse now
"

I think one reason that the Melbourne have stagnated over the past few seasons is the demographics of the over 1 million new comers to Melbourne.
Melbourne is a very different place to even 20 years ago and there are now many more things people can do with their leisure time.

Most of these new settlers from OS or even interstate are not natural Australian Football supporters and I believe the AFL has to market strongly and engage and these people or the crowds will keep slowly dropping as a % of Melbournes population.

"

I think one reason that the Melbourne have stagnated over the past few seasons is the demographics of the over 1 million new comers to Melbourne.
Melbourne is a very different place to even 20 years ago and there are now many more things people can do with their leisure time.

Most of these new settlers from OS or even interstate are not natural Australian Football supporters and I believe the AFL has to market strongly and engage and these people or the crowds will keep slowly dropping as a % of Melbournes population.

What I meant more than anything was that the Crowds that we get in Melbourne that we take for granted are quite significant numbers.

In Melbourne, especially amongst the big clubs we tend to go "oh only 50000 at the G" or "only 60000" to the Bombers and Hawthorn game when in the scheme of things these numbers are massive when only 3 codes worldwide are able to beat the amount of spectators we get through the gates.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horses for courses its very difficult to compare AFL crowds to other crowds around the world.

For starters MCG fixtures are much cheaper / accessible than most other major (dare I say it bigger) codes around the world
It's also hard when other leagues around the world, alot of their games are sold out week after week.

Only the Grand Final and ANZAC day are sellouts for us.

It's also hard when other leagues around the world, alot of their games are sold out week after week.

Only the Grand Final and ANZAC day are sellouts for us.

As well as all games at Adelaide Oval and Subiaco and the occasional Etihad or SCG blockbuster

edit: and Kardinia Park

Last edited:
Freo v Hawks - 41,508
WC v North - 43,080

Gives us a total of 420,331 with the GF to come.

Will be the lowest finals tally since the MCG redevelopment a decade ago.

I doubt the financial effect will be that much. Don't MCC members get in free, and AFL members get free passes for the first 2 weeks and discounted tickets for the 3rd?

For the series ticket game yes, not for other finals. Also the AFL gets a payment per head after a certain attendance level, for a 50,000 attended final, its worth about $75,000 lol. Then theres other revenues they are entitled to on match day as well.

I doubt the financial effect will be that much. Don't MCC members get in free, and AFL members get free passes for the first 2 weeks and discounted tickets for the 3rd?

Not quite right. In the first 2 weeks AFL members had to reserve seats at around $20 each plus there would have been at least a couple of thousand guest passes at $65 or $80 each. In the third week the guest passes go up to $160.

Ultimately I'm not sure what the total revenue is for Prelims at the G compared to Subiaco, especially factoring in corporates. But a full AFL members would bring in a considerable amount on its own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back