Mega Thread The 2015 Buckley coaching megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton had Barassi, John Nicholls, Percy Jones, Jezza, Robert Walls & Parkin in the space of 17 years from 1970 to 1987.

They won 6 flags. Coaching stability is not a direct link to success.
Cheating the cap for decade is though.

Totally agree with your approach. I did the same in the early 1980s. I said to people, "if Collingwood show me a premiership, I'll support them".... and I held firm. I kept on the fence until 1990 and then I told the world what a strong Pie supporter I was....
Only in the the 80s? I'd been fence sitting since 1959, Digger!

It was reportedly a very gutsy, disciplined win. (I didn't see the game as I was playing soccer at the time). However last year we also won lots of games based on guts and determination early even while our skill level was terrible and then once the effort wore off (or injuries tool their toll) our skill level was completely exposed in the second half of the year. We should be happy with a good win but we really should be following a longer trend line of performance than 3-4 weeks.

Would you be happier if we lost?

Great win, the players are playing for Bucks and have put in 100% effort for every quarter this year.

Took a couple years to weed out the trouble makers and we are better for it, also got good return for all the trades.

Glad we have silenced quite a few people, including some of our own supporters

Great win, the players are playing for Bucks and have put in 100% effort for every quarter this year.

Took a couple years to weed out the trouble makers and we are better for it, also got good return for all the trades.

Glad we have silenced quite a few people, including some of our own supporters
Good point regarding the effort. Even in the Adelaide game we got stuck in

Don't know if I'd agree with that, thought we were lazy against Adelaide :oops:

Let's not discuss that game though.

We weren't lazy against Adelaide, we just had poor skills and couldn't break their press. The effort was there, execution wasn't. Don't like to lose but I'll cop a loss when we put in like we did

We weren't lazy against Adelaide, we just had poor skills and couldn't break their press. The effort was there, execution wasn't. Don't like to lose but I'll cop a loss when we put in like we did

I thought we were far too static when we had possession of the ball. When Adelaide had it we tried (which coincidentally was most of the game I guess), but when we had possession our midfielders provided no run so we couldn't link possessions up the ground. In the fourth quarter that all changed and we actually got some scores on the board because all of a sudden we could enter inside 50.

The first 3 Q's reminded me of the practice match against the Doggies, the final Q was reminiscent of all the other games this year, although Adelaide had clearly taken the foot off the pedal at that point.

Not trying to dampen an awesome day but let's not get carried away here.

Any Buckley coaching concerns raised over last 3 years have been legitimate IMO and don't forget we were 8-3 at mid point last year.

It's early doors but signs in 2015 have been fantastic. I'd love nothing more than to be on this thread in Grand Final week apologising for ever having doubted.

As Ron Barassi would say, you give me possessions (or wins) and I'll shut the hell up.

That's fair enough, but I don't think some people have set the goalposts very fairly for Buckley.

There are a lot of people who enjoyed 8 straight years of finals and don't know what it feels like to have to weather some tough times.

Looking forward to shedding those 'supporters' personally.

I was thinking, hoping and dreaming during the week how today's game could prove to be a real turning point for this team and coach.

Given the buzz surrounding Essendon since there victory over Hawthorn and the state of transition our young list is currently in it would need to be a famous victory.

It was.

It's taken longer than I expected and a more painful route to get here than most suspected but I think we are finally at the beginning of witnessing this side becoming what Buckley has always envisaged.

We now have enough players willing and able to carry out how he wants the game played more often and for longer.

I think today's performance was the finest we've witnessed under Buckley.

Faith restored.

Totally agree with your approach. I did the same in the early 1980s. I said to people, "if Collingwood show me a premiership, I'll support them".... and I held firm. I kept on the fence until 1990 and then I told the world what a strong Pie supporter I was....
Doing yourself proud in this thread Mark. You might even deserve an Anzac medal for this one! :D

Fun to come in here and see how all the flogs have gone to ground. Sack Bucks! now that's gold!
Collingwood far too good.

Hirdy was out coached.
One of many similar comments from the Bombers autopsy thread! But hell, what would they know?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doing yourself proud in this thread Mark. You might even deserve an Anzac medal for this one! :D

well in the anzac tradition, i'm just wondering where all my mates are..... i had so many a couple of weeks back... we were all banded together shoulder to shoulder, demanding the replacement of buckley. Now it's hard to find one who's willing to shoulder the load. A few have drifted into the thread and said that they have thrown in the towel and say that they now like buckley, and I respect their decision to go to the dark side for a week or two while we're winning. I realise they'll come back but it would have been nice if they maintained the rage against our clueless coach. Others seemed to have gone to ground... gone for a week or two R&R on Imbros Island, to use the anzac analogy. I'm hoping that they'll come back stronger than ever at the next loss. I miss their commitment to the cause...there's still so much work to be done. We need to get a decent coach in place before we can turn our team into something that we're proud of...

well in the anzac tradition, i'm just wondering where all my mates are..... i had so many a couple of weeks back... we were all banded together shoulder to shoulder, demanding the replacement of buckley. Now it's hard to find one who's willing to shoulder the load. A few have drifted into the thread and said that they have thrown in the towel and say that they now like buckley, and I respect their decision to go to the dark side for a week or two while we're winning. I realise they'll come back but it would have been nice if they maintained the rage against our clueless coach. Others seemed to have gone to ground... gone for a week or two R&R on Imbros Island, to use the anzac analogy. I'm hoping that they'll come back stronger than ever at the next loss. I miss their commitment to the cause...there's still so much work to be done. We need to get a decent coach in place before we can turn our team into something that we're proud of...
Have no fear Mark. They will be back bigger and better than ever. Let's face it, as long as you only look at the things that fit your cause it's pretty easy to see how Bucks has no clue.

Buckley inherited a list that contained.

- Pendlebury at 24. Dual AA.
- Swan at 27. Dual AA.
- Reid at 23. AA in 2011.
- Cloke at 25. AA in 2011, 69 goals & smashed the record for contested marks.
- The likes of Heath Shaw, Dayne Beams, Sidebottom, Harry (AA in 2010), Dawes, Nathan Brown, Wellingham & the like in their sweet spot in terms of age demographic to challenge.

There is no excuse for him taking the club to where it is now.

Great analysis. I couldnt agree with you more. That last sentence of yours really hits the spot...

It really is laughable how anyone can defend what has happened over the last few years. The excuses are never ending, Malthouses fault, injuries, retirements, compromised drafts, culture, list age profile, assistant coaches, training methods,the sub rule, players wanting to leave, a young list, etc etc etc. We havnt improved anywhere in over 3 years! These excuses are just that and are all BS.

And the other excuse that you didnt mention is the odd win against average opposition like essendon.... like you said, the same people are out defending buckley and telling us to be patient when it is sooo obvious that he's going down the wrong track and will never get anything from the playing group. I just saw an interview where jamie elliott says that he'll be a pie for life....sure he will....until the end of the year when he will be begging to get out to get away from buckley...

Have no fear Mark. They will be back bigger and better than ever. Let's face it, as long as you only look at the things that fit your cause it's pretty easy to see how Bucks has no clue.

I dont think we're only looking at certain things to prove that bucks has no clue. I think most of the people who support my point of view that buckley needs replacing, would say to you that he is a consistent underachiever. I've said a number of times that the playing group are still not playing for him. He even admitted to that in his press conference today. And you only had to see how he interacted with Seedsman to see that there are problems there. He just has this figjam syndrome that keeps him distant from the players. Mick never had that. They always loved him. And no one is talking about our hopeless second quarter yesterday where the bombers took us apart from 15 minutes or so. He seemed to be totally incapable of doing anything to change the way the game was heading. Fortunately, he had some luck and half time arrived.

I dont think we're only looking at certain things to prove that bucks has no clue. I think most of the people who support my point of view that buckley needs replacing, would say to you that he is a consistent underachiever. I've said a number of times that the playing group are still not playing for him. He even admitted to that in his press conference today. And you only had to see how he interacted with Seedsman to see that there are problems there. He just has this figjam syndrome that keeps him distant from the players. Mick never had that. They always loved him. And no one is talking about our hopeless second quarter yesterday where the bombers took us apart from 15 minutes or so. He seemed to be totally incapable of doing anything to change the way the game was heading. Fortunately, he had some luck and half time arrived.
lol. Yes it's pretty clear that the players can't stand him. No game plan, no respect from his players. Disgraceful coach.

I thought we were far too static when we had possession of the ball. When Adelaide had it we tried (which coincidentally was most of the game I guess), but when we had possession our midfielders provided no run so we couldn't link possessions up the ground. In the fourth quarter that all changed and we actually got some scores on the board because all of a sudden we could enter inside 50.

The first 3 Q's reminded me of the practice match against the Doggies, the final Q was reminiscent of all the other games this year, although Adelaide had clearly taken the foot off the pedal at that point.

I thought we clearly tried very hard against adelaide. Now there is an argument that we were stupid in where we positioned ourselves but their heart was in the right place.

There are a lot of people who enjoyed 8 straight years of finals and don't know what it feels like to have to weather some tough times.

Looking forward to shedding those 'supporters' personally.

You know its possible to support the team and think Bucks is not the best person for the job right? Going on a forum and telling people you think another coach would be better for us in no way means that you like the club less than someone who loves buckley.

Some people (not specifically you) seem to think that anyone who questions the coach can't see our young list. I supported Malthouse as coach when we had a young list and were down the bottom. Now that is not to get into a Malthouse vs buckley debate because I don't want Malthouse back and he is probably past his best now. Its just to prove that I don't want to sack the coach just because we may be outside the eight at any time.

Last edited:
Posto seriouso ...

Have noticed after the wins this year that Bucks has been back slapping the players as they come into the rooms after the games.

Has he always been like that??? :confused:

It's something that caught my eye, I'm wondering if that's because it's a new thing?

Posto seriouso ...

Have noticed after the wins this year that Bucks has been back slapping the players as they come into the rooms after the games.

Has he always been like that??? :confused:

It's something that caught my eye, I'm wondering if that's because it's a new thing?
Have seen it a couple of times, I think he forgets he is the coach and turns into a supporter.:p

I am so over reading a club has taken its foot off the pedal. Who does that?
Having played competitive sport, didn't matter what stage of the game it was you still kept playing up to your best. What I have seen is a substitution when a player may have been carrying a slight injury or niggle but can't believe that players relax and give the opposition a sniff.

Just look at Port and Freo last night, did they take their foot off the pedal or did the opposition keep coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back