Mega Thread The 2015 Buckley coaching megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buckley selected 2 first gamers against last years premiers. Huge mistake last nights game was for a top 4 spot .. Moore is no where near ready for AFL you have Grundy and greenwood in the vfl.. Grundy would've offered more than 4 touches and would've helped out Witts .. White did better than Witts in the ruck when he went in the middle .. Buckley please go back to basics and play man on man .. Leeking easy uncontested marks and goals every week costs the pies wins ..
And yet if Cloke, Fasolo or White kick 2 more goals we win.

Ketchup

Cancelled
May 9, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Aberdeen FC
Bucks to get an extension soon. What a fantastic update and decision by the board.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Buckley selected 2 first gamers against last years premiers. Huge mistake last nights game was for a top 4 spot .. Moore is no where near ready for AFL you have Grundy and greenwood in the vfl.. Grundy would've offered more than 4 touches and would've helped out Witts .. White did better than Witts in the ruck when he went in the middle .. Buckley please go back to basics and play man on man .. Leeking easy uncontested marks and goals every week costs the pies wins ..

Nfi

Mudeo

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
What better time to debut two potential future stars that you have used a first and second round pick on than in a game against the best team in the comp and back to back premiers, a lot better than debuting in a 70 point drubbing of the Saints. It really shows you what that player is made of what they need to really improve on. What i saw from Maynard that he will be a second string inside mid to Taylor Adams, strong, quick and a fairly good decision maker and a good tackler and Darcy is about a step or two off the pace and i think giving him another couple of games in a row will be benificial for him picking up the speed of AFL football. But i think it is a good move in a development year to debut kids in big games as i think they gain more from it than they do if we play rubbish teams.

Krueger

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The most delusional post I've read on BF even coming from you, the greatest Bucks hater there is.

Next thing you'll tell us Thomas would still be playing like 2010/2011 if MM was coach (Carlton just unlucky they didn't sign MM to bring out that form again......oh wait:oops:), Didak and Jolly still playing, Dawes and Wellingham killing it and Shaw and Beams off the wiz and gas while sticking to team principles.

If the pea brains like yourself didnt want to fix something that wasnt broken then we would have 1 or 2 more premierships. Making changes when your at the top is pure idiocy but many like yourself would never admit that you were wrong. Ill say it again, I TOLD YOU SO! :)

Mudeo

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
If the pea brains like yourself didnt want to fix something that wasnt broken then we would have 1 or 2 more premierships. Making changes when your at the top is pure idiocy but many like yourself would never admit that you were wrong. Ill say it again, I TOLD YOU SO! :)
And if we went down that road Hawthorn and Geelong still would have flogged us those years and would probably still have nothing to show for it while being in a complete rebuild now and down the bottom of the ladder all the while losing that winning culture at the same time and ultimately ending up like the Kangaroos are now, a complete shambles with massive expectations and without the list to execute those expectations.

2012if it wasn't for the death of a ex player would have made gf under bucks but harks had our messure
by then and they would have 3 in a row now.2013 halve the team was finished by then and the right call was
made by the club and don't get me started about 2011 and mm. till then I love mm. but lost me then.
time to give up on the buckly hate the past cannot be change for any one. were not going to win from 2011
time to move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching 360 now, Bucks is a wise man.

Watching Bucks on AFL 360 is one of my weekly highlights.:D The dynamic between him and Robbo (if 'dynamic' is the right way to describe such a one-sided intellectual pairing) is just delightful. He has Robbo on toast, with the journalist carefully picking and choosing his words, to avoid being corrected, or worse, having his question treated with contempt by the great man.

Bucks is running with a theme which (in my mind) can partly explain why he took the very bold step of playing two debutants against the reigning premiers. Kids, who many regarded before they were selected, and continue to believe, were not ready for senior footy. Bucks mantra goes something like this: its not just about winning and losing games, but about continuous improvement.

Now, it could be said or interpreted that's a convenient way to excuse or explain away a loss, especially the two 'honourable' losses we have just experienced. But in a 'development' year, which we assume we are having, getting games into the kids is a priority. If you win games along the way, thats a bonus, but its not the only measure of how we are tracking.

But then there's the benefits to be had from developing a winning culture...and keeping the fans happy. Many fans just want to see wins, full stop. They dont step back from viewing our position on the ladder, to make a more considered and objective analysis of how we are developing.

The latter fans will be back here in force at 10.30 on Thursday night if we lose...watch this space.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I didn't think we would make finals this year, and I was content with that.

However, given the way the season has unfolded, it would be very disappointing not to make it from here. We should be putting emphasis onto making finals because a finals game is worth 30 games experience to our kids who haven't tasted it before.

Having said that, I don't want to make finals at the cost of our future. Our improvement this year was always going to be on the back of the development of our kids.

I am against playing kids for the sake of it...they need to earn their spot. But I all for Bucks playing young stars even if it is a risk.

This current side can get us top 4-8. If guys like scharenberg, Moore and de goey come on quick then we can be top 2.

So in summary, we can't lose our focus of being a finallist this year...but we shouldn't make finals at the cost of developing our kids.

I didn't think we would make finals this year, and I was content with that.

However, given the way the season has unfolded, it would be very disappointing not to make it from here. We should be putting emphasis onto making finals because a finals game is worth 30 games experience to our kids who haven't tasted it before.

Having said that, I don't want to make finals at the cost of our future. Our improvement this year was always going to be on the back of the development of our kids.

I am against playing kids for the sake of it...they need to earn their spot. But I all for Bucks playing young stars even if it is a risk.

This current side can get us top 4-8. If guys like scharenberg, Moore and de goey come on quick then we can be top 2.

So in summary, we can't lose our focus of being a finallist this year...but we shouldn't make finals at the cost of developing our kids.
I agree DaVe86 and this is why I have no problems playing kids in big games like against Hawthorn Friday night, like against Essendon on Anzac Day...these games are finals like and sometimes more so when you watch how a team like NM performs in finals and the weak crowds other teams attract.

Playing kids in these big crowd, high intensity games also preps them for the big stage. We recruit specific players who can handle the big stage. I don't like losing at the best of times, but I can see massive value in playing Maynard and Moore Friday night because they'll be better for it should we play Hawthorn in a knock out final.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
buckley presented a collingwood jumper to some idiot called mcclure who is a carlton fan.... a free jumper?... what in the world was buckley thinkin? They should have invested the collingwood members money in buying this guy a one-way ticket in a light aircraft with limited fuel....

Bucksboys

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jun 23, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
At the start of the year there was some industry speculation on where Collingwood sat in the mix of teams looking to "jump up" the ladder.

While the usual noise centres around the coach Nathan Buckley – and even sometimes spills over to the Magpies president – it has been the players that have had the rest of us intrigued and indeed admiring their efforts thus far this year.

Collingwood have almost completed their regeneration. Only the injury-prone top draft picks in Matthew Scharenberg and Nathan Freeman have yet to be seen in the senior team, but sources say Scharenberg is getting close.

Buckley has reshaped his team and, along with his astute recruiting staff in Derek Hine and Matt Rendell, has reshaped the entire list. The majority of the first-pick senior team were not even born when the Pies broke the premiership drought in 1990, and were struggling to deal with the demands of fitting into their year 8 school blazers when Collingwood last won the flag in 2010.

Last week against the Hawks they debuted two more off their list in Darcy Moore – a tall, rangy marking forward who will eventually surpass the inconsistent Jesse White as the second big man in the front half – and the hard-nosed defender Brayden Maynard, who also possesses an elite left kick.

It is a credit to the Collingwood coaching system (as well as their former TAC coaches) that they both slotted in and performed their roles on the night.

It seems Buckley has cleared the decks and reinvigorated the club in an impressive fashion. Insiders I speak with say it is a "happy workplace", "everyone feels valued and gets their say", "we work hard, but have some fun in doing it".

These are important signs that things are looking up.

Two weeks ago they travelled to Perth to take on the ladder-leading Fremantle, and gave an outstanding account of themselves to only succumb late in the match. The defensive pressure the swarming young magpies put on the older midfield of Fremantle was most impressive. Robert Harvey has the midfield working in conjunction with the fringes of the supporting units on either side.

At any mid-zone scrimmage, one or more of either the half-backs or the high half-forwards join in with the midfield unit to create an additional number of black and white jumpers around the ball and that particular scrimmage.

The magpies are playing the percentages, and working to the golden rule of football: outnumber wins. This also allows the Pies to apply huge pressure, coming from all angles on the opposition ball-carrier.

There is some risk associated with this strategy, in that if you don't win possession or control the opposition, they may get out on you into free space. For the most part, especially against Fremantle, the Collingwood "pressure bubble" stayed intact and it was the older heads of the Fremantle midfield who looked rattled.

In fact it forced Ross Lyon to ramp up the pressure rating of his team, and if it wasn't for Michael Walters' sharpshooting, Buckley's merry young men would have bought home the points.

Last Friday night the Pies matched it with the reigning premiers Hawthorn and 10 minutes into the last quarter were threatening to take over the game, before the Hawks (like Fremantle) found an extra gear.

The Hawks have had a few more years practising their own method of "inside-outside" pressure and know how to counter it.

But these young Magpies were unbowed for a second successive match, and while no one wants or likes honourable losses, these are great development and learning opportunities for Buckley and his assistant coaches.

Playing the two best teams in the competition currently has been a test of fire. The coaching system has stood up, the young personnel have stood up and now they will look to make it three times a charm as they take on the inconsistent Port Adelaide team. A win will be just the validation the finals-bound Pies are looking for.

The Opposition Analyst works in that position with an AFL team.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...building-job-takes-shape-20150708-gi7voe.html

Last edited:
buckley presented a collingwood jumper to some idiot called mcclure who is a carlton fan.... a free jumper?... what in the world was buckley thinkin? They should have invested the collingwood members money in buying this guy a one-way ticket in a light aircraft with limited fuel....
McClure lost the bet when he declared on live air that he would wear a PiesJumper if Collingwood would still win the match. Thought it was the one against Norf. I thought it was an excellent idea to make it hurt even more. Not only did that clown lose the bet , we made it into a media event to our advantage.

McClure lost the bet when he declared on live air that he would wear a PiesJumper if Collingwood would still win the match. Thought it was the one against Norf. I thought it was an excellent idea to make it hurt even more. Not only did that clown lose the bet , we made it into a media event to our advantage.
It was the Geelong v Melbourne game, he was doing the stats for 3AW and made the bet.
Him being a Carlton supporter and despising us is why we're involved in it.

It was the Geelong v Melbourne game, he was doing the stats for 3AW and made the bet.
Him being a Carlton supporter and despising us is why we're involved in it.
Oops. Well I had 1 team right. .
Main point he has a proper MagPie jersey now to wear and not some old rag of his own with black and white on it that he can spill coffee on or other spiteful stuff. If he abuses the official one it will only look bad for him.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...

do people care if he hurts? He should be made to wear a carlton jumper....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back