Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
I respect Bevo and Simmo heaps but in reality they're doing the business with lists built up by the previous "manager / coach"
Let's see how they do in the next few years. Who'll finish higher out of the WCE or the WB's next year? Will it be the coach's fault or will it be due to their draws, their injuries, their list management, the AFL tribunal?
So many things influence the outcome of a season. Sorry to take the blame away from the all important coach.

PhiloBeddoe

Premium Gold
Mar 5, 2008
Ma's house.
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
None
It's going to be tough for Buckley next year. At this point with the current delistings, we have the youngest list in the AFL.

Last year at the members forum, there was a big discussion about the age demographics of lists. The only outliers were Carlton, that there is a direct colleration about the oldest lists being in the Top 4 and the youngest in the bottom 4.

Even if Buckley can get the team out of the bottom 4/6, there won't be much sympathy if it's 3 straight years out of the 8.
before you start with the direct correlation stuff, you'd want to gives a number rather than average ages. Correlation does not indicate cause and effect so there are other variables to consider.

Mick39

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
before you start with the direct correlation stuff, you'd want to gives a number rather than average ages. Correlation does not indicate cause and effect so there are other variables to consider.

Buckley used the average age arguement at the forum. He said in the next few years the average age of the list will progressively increase, as the list gets older, it will be in a position to challenge. Those were his exact words.

The trouble is the age of the list is getting younger because through a variety of reasons they can't keep their squad together.

The best 22 might be stronger with the addition of Treloar but the reality is you need a squad mentality to be successful. We've wiped out our depth and we will be relying on first year players from a weak draft to brace the list if there are injuries to the best 22, which is a given.

Buckley used the average age arguement at the forum. He said in the next few years the average age of the list will progressively increase, as the list gets older, it will be in a position to challenge. Those were his exact words.

The trouble is the age of the list is getting younger because through a variety of reasons they can't keep their squad together.

The best 22 might be stronger with the addition of Treloar but the reality is you need a squad mentality to be successful. We've wiped out our depth and we will be relying on first year players from a weak draft to brace the list if there are injuries to the best 22, which is a given.
Understand your concerns Mick.
It's a bit premature to talk about our list until it's finalised via all the drafts/trading though.

PhiloBeddoe

Premium Gold
Mar 5, 2008
Ma's house.
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
None

The age profile of the list is a concern when you don't have the experience on each line to guide the young players on the field.

The unusual amount of injuries to experienced players has been a killer in terms of the onfield development of the younger players.

You'd hardly think that Buckley would isolate the average age of the list as the reason for challenging or not challenging. As I said, many more variables, some more difficult to control than others.

Ever seen the comedy Major League 2 with Charlie Sheen? They won a championship and came back acting like superstars in the new season. Thomas, Lumumba, Beams, Wellingham etc. make the connection.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Alright the jury is out this year. He has had plenty of time to make the list how he likes now its time to go forward.

I think Buckley can coach. He proved that at the start of last season winning so many at the start of the year. We played impressive footy. Sure we dropped off later but as a young side that can happen.

My main worry for bucks is him sometimes selecting the wrong players and playing them when IMO cant really play.. Sinclair, Russell (how he wasnt dropped quicker), young ect...

If we snag Treloar its finals or goodbye and if its goodbye a lucky coach will come in and put the icing on the cake for bucks rebuild.

The fact that Treloar wants to be in the team with Pendles or possibly Aish playing with mate The Berg isn't captured in those stats. The squad mentality would be even improving with the likes of Freeman and Karnezis leaving as they don't want to be at the club anymore.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
The fact that Treloar wants to be in the team with Pendles or possibly Aish playing with mate The Berg isn't captured in those stats. The squad mentality would be even improving with the likes of Freeman and Karnezis leaving as they don't want to be at the club anymore.
IMO the exact reason Karnezis is leaving is why he wasn't played by bucks. Pea heart/weak whatever you call it. Imagine if nick maxwell gave up every time he had a hard time breaking into a side or getting a go. So glad we didn't put games into him.

if carlton finishes higher than collingwood next year, then buckley shouldn't just be sacked... he should have to refund his entire salary.

As for adam simpson...... here is a quick cut and paste of games played at the Beagles...... evaluate it as you see fit.
Mark LeCras 154
Andrew Gaff 110
Dom Sheed 33
Brad Sheppard 84
Elliot Yeo 64
Chris Masten 140
Nic Naitanui 131
Scott Selwood 135
Matt Priddis 197
Sharrod Wellingham 139
Luke Shuey 111
Jamie Cripps 75
Eric Mackenzie 121
Josh Kennedy 165
Xavier Ellis 118
Jeremy McGovern 33
Callum Sinclair 29
Matt Rosa 168
Shannon Hurn 177
Sam Butler 137
Jack Darling 105
Will Schofield 132
Josh Hill 139

eagles one very experience list there

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...

I just KNEW we should have kept Clint Young... maybe Fev is still playing... that should bump the average age up

PieNSauce

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
are jealous!
Very pleasing to hear comments from the club that Bucks will be signed up to a new long term contract before the end of his current one.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sc...ntil-end-of-2020/story-fndv8g1a-1227563833656
Buckley’s contract expires at the end of next season but the club has already indicated to the Herald Sun it will extend his tenure beyond 2016, securing the coach and captain to long-term agreements.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sc...ntil-end-of-2020/story-fndv8g1a-1227563833656
With the obvious support from current players and even talented players from other clubs wanting to play under him it's a logical decision and it's clear that pretty much everyone at the Westpac Centre have confidence in the current direction.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
With the obvious support from current players and even talented players from other clubs wanting to play under him it's a logical decision and it's clear that pretty much everyone at the Westpac Centre have confidence in the current direction.
You can't say "it's a logical decision" when the results on the football field are not there.

4 straight years of declining results is damning.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's your opinion. Not mine!
Im with you, that poster is one of those nervous / negative nellies that flowts about these threads.
Each to their own, but i dont know how some can knock everything all the time, nothing is ever good.
I sometimes wonder if they really like that in the real world? If so, thats very very sad.
But each to their own.

ksardog

Brownlow Medallist
May 9, 2008
south australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
What a suprise, good to hav friends in high places.

Seriously what is the danger of waiting until 3/4 way through the season to see how we are going before we sign him up to an extended contract.

Obviously too worried about media speculation on his contract if things dont go well this year.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Very pleasing to hear comments from the club that Bucks will be signed up to a new long term contract before the end of his current one.

Hardly surprising is it? There was never any prospect of any other outcome. 2016 results are not relevant to the outcome it is already decided. I'm not sure why the token delay but I guess apprances are somewhat relevant although I'm not sure who to.

Disappointed we intend to re-sign him before seeing the outcome or at least better part of the outcome of next season. Oh well.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

Boy am I glad there were no quotes to support that!

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Disappointed we intend to re-sign him before seeing the outcome or at least better part of the outcome of next season. Oh well.

Ditto, but I'd advise caution on turning on him next year if things go to s**t because it's very much a "better the devil you know" situation compared to the alternative Ed has in mind...

The only other comment I'd make is why delay the inevitable? If we're giving him an unjustified contract extension why has it been delayed so far?

Ditto, but I'd advise caution on turning on him next year if things go to s**t because it's very much a "better the devil you know" situation compared to the alternative Ed has in mind...

How do you know Ed's replacement will be that bad? Just because he's been overlooked before? Can you pm me who you think it is?

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
How do you know Ed's replacement will be that bad? Just because he's been overlooked before? Can you pm me who you think it is?

I don't know, no one could, but I just don't agree with the philosophy if it were to come to pass. I think we would be advised to take the Adelaide, Bulldogs and Carlton path not the Essendon one.

I believe that being a bridesmaid in this industry as often as he has (whilst not the end of the world) is definitely not a good starting point. No doubt others could take a different view.

FWIW we are the only club that has never conducted an interview process for a coach. If/ when we lose Buckley it needs to be an absolute priority that we do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back