Mega Thread The 2015 Buckley coaching megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finally, do we win the flag in 2012 under Malthouse? Who knows.

Anyway, that's what I think on the matter. I hope 2015 and beyond make us all forget about this nonsense. I think we will surprise a few. Go pies.
It is an interesting question. My answer given the same injury run etc I don't think MM would have done any better than Bucks did in 2012. Bucks coached really well that year , funnily enough I see it as his best performance to date. Hopefully he gets a good injury run in 2012 so we can see more clearly what sort of coach he is. I wrote up a longer assessment of Bucks in 2012 elsewhere and have copied that below

"I will give you my take on 2012. Bucks and Collingwood were cursed but did a great job when you consider what they were up against. I disagree Jolly was an impediment to 2012, he had a good season. Averaged 32+ HO/game a career high. Only other season he got anywhere near those numbers was 2009. Played 20 games.

Truth is 2012 started as a wide open season and Sydney who won it was never considered likely until the 2nd half of the year. Bucks was cursed as a coach through pre season with lots of the senior players injured, breaking down and on modified programs. Butters was still in charge of the phys ed. Didak, Johnson, Daisy, Nathan Brown all were limited in the pre season. We entered round one with 3 debutantsand 3 guys who had played only a couple of games plus the returning Marty Clarke. Paine, Seedsman, Sinclair(4), Rounds(5), Yagmoor, Keefe(5) had a total of 14 games AFL experience, Clarke hadn't played for 2 seasons plus Fas who was game 14 into his career. Bucks was debuting as coach. Pretty extraordinary situation when you look at a team coming off a flag and r/u.

Injuries were a killer in 2012. Nate Brown returning from an ACL not fit at start of the season. 4 other ACLs Krak, Caff, Ball and Keefe. Didak with his adductor injury all through the year meant he played 5 games up to round 20 then played the next 6 games. Johnno started with a Hamstring stopping the start of the season then a shoulder reco in May so he only got back for the last few rounds. Thomas had preseason worries and missed games in the season and was hampered when he played. Reid missed 5 games with soft tissue stuff and was hampered in other games. Shaw went down with a Hammy for a while. There may be others but they are the ones I remember. To add to that Bucks had to contend with MM and Eddie conducting a war in the media and the journos did their best to drag him into it. How good was he handling that when the other 2 were making Dicks of themselves. I forgive Eddie but he didnt make it easy for Bucks.

By the time Carlton thumped us in R3 Bucks could have been forgiven for having a whinge . He didn't, head down, stuck the list that was fairly decimated together and won 10 on end. Come 13 games into the season we were on top and the bookies had us equal flag favs with the Hawks. We tired though , no surprise with the injuries and distractions. Still Bucks got us up for another great win against Sydney at ANZ late in the season. Top 4 finish but we were limping. Then the worst event of the season occurred when poor Johnny Mac passed just before our PF. Boys went to the funeral then straight to Sydney. Far from ideal.

So for mine Bucks did fantastically in 2012 and had a great list but no luck at all. With some he may have got a flag in his 1st year. List has slipped since then I agree. Some coaches have bad luck and Bucks has had his but time doesn't wait and unfortunately, partly through no fault of his own, Bucks is in a position where he needs a good season or he may lose his job.

As to you asking re the 70, 77, and 79 team. I saw them all, went to all those GFs. Have no doubt 2010-11 is the best. It was the 1st time in my watching Collingwood we had a really good shot a a multiple flag winning team and a bit of a dynasty. I regret that greatly because that is the one thing I am desperate to see in my lifetime. A Collingwood team that can be talked about with the great teams of recent era. 2010-11 could be as close as I get to seeing that."

Paul Williams left because he couldnt stand Buckley. :)
That rumour went around but it wasn't true. Seems other, less sinister reasons were behind the move.

I'm really glad all this is - for the time being anyway - being thrashed out again and again and again...where was I? Oh yes, being thrashed out again in the Bucks mega thread. It means if I avoid this thread I dont have to read about...about...about...about...

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
He also suggested buckley not take over in 2012, this was half way through 2011 when he said this on 3AW. His thoughts were why would u want to change things when everything is going so well. So that was after his quote about dynastys.

View attachment 104559
And there we were well 90% of this board being gullable thinking Malthouse would take the directors job. The smart ones knew that would never be the case and the same people still think Buckley is the right man in control of Collingwood FC.

upload_2015-1-24_17-47-24.png

Last edited:

ace andy

All Australian
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Malthouse Buckley thing will be the new Mckee Pavlich trade that gets brought up a decade after the fact.

I'm not sold on Buckley but I supported the move to make him the new coach at the time and move Malthouse on. Therefore I'd rather just discussing the present rather than would have should haves from 4 years ago.

Sunbot

Club Legend
May 7, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
I supported Bucks taking over from MM. I support the massive turnover of players. I support the axing of those that had to be axed/traded. I support the determination to fix our contested possession. I support building a game plan around the young talent. I support the use of senior top up players for short term gaps.
That said I have forgiven Bucks for 3 injury plagued years but not a 4th. 2015 will be the break year up or down with him as a coach. I hope for the best and my expectations are high in the finals so here's to a good year!

I'm really glad all this is - for the time being anyway - being thrashed out again and again and again...where was I? Oh yes, being thrashed out again in the Bucks mega thread. It means if I avoid this thread I dont have to read about...about...about...about...
Just rad my list that I posted and add in anything I may have forgotten.
Hopefully when the season starts, all is forgiven.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

S

He is? They had a fight at training: how is that a rumour?
Yes he is. I didn't say the fight at training was a rumour, I said it wasn't the reason Williams left.

If you leave your work place every time you get in a blue with someone you must have had a hell of a lot of jobs, because you sure as s**t aren't an agreeable person.

I'll be buggered if I can find the article now, but I read it last year and Williams was adamant that although they had their issues, Buckley was not the reason he left.

Not sure if you've heard him speak at 1/4 or 3/4 time?
I have and he didn't inspire me - he must be really good one on one, but not so much in front of a group.
Tarks was the same and so was Danny Frawley at VFL level.
Just my opinion, but I did share it when the coaching committee asked me:p

The good thing about VFL coaches is that we get a bit more insight into how they motivate the players.

How do you think Taps compares to Tarks and Brown? Give each a grade out of 10?

Last edited:
The good think about VFL coaches is that we get a bit more insight into how they motivate the players.

Brown was nicknamed Rowdy as you know and I think he's naturally shy which maybe inhibits the group thing.
Tarks lost me when he had to resort to swearing as he was lost for words trying to motivate for a last quarter effort.
Taps is better than both of them in a group setting and having coached kids before probably helps.
That said, all three can obviously work one on one and perhaps with direction from others makes that a bit easier for some.

soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
The good think about VFL coaches is that we get a bit more insight into how they motivate the players.

One of my mates played under Ta
Brown was nicknamed Rowdy as you know and I think he's naturally shy which maybe inhibits the group thing.
Tarks lost me when he had to resort to swearing as he was lost for words trying to motivate for a last quarter effort.
Taps is better than both of them in a group setting and having coached kids before probably helps.
That said, all three can obviously work one on one and perhaps with direction from others makes that a bit easier for some.
a mate of mine played a few years under Tapping. He and all players loved him. When the board sacked him due to politics, a lot of players left the club in protest.

popin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers, Craig lowndes
And there we were well 90% of this board being gullable thinking Malthouse would take the directors job. The smart ones knew that would never be the case and the same people still think Buckley is the right man in control of Collingwood FC.

poor baby, do u want some tissues because mick got the arse ;) ;)

PhiloBeddoe

Premium Gold
Mar 5, 2008
Ma's house.
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
None
S

He is? They had a fight at training: how is that a rumour?
Williams is quoted in Buckley's book saying that the rumour is bullshit. They may have had a fight, big deal. Williams stated that he was a bit stale and needed a change but hey, that may not suit your argument so he was talking s**t just for the sake of the book. Burns and Buckely went head to head on quite a few occasions on the track and low and behold, Burns is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back