• Lower than 8

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Listening to the media today trying to estimate where all teams would finish , and of course Geelong being roundly written off I thought it would be a good chance to put our best guess-estimate down in a thread.
Perhaps.....

Where will Geelong finish ( which is basically my main interest)

and perhaps the final 8 and Premiers.

I realise its a bit like "Pin the Tail on the Donkey" at the moment but Im a bit over us being written off. Very few rate us , they see the close wins as an opportunity to lose more game... and it may. But it also may be that we scraped thru when playing poorly and may well go better if we can get more from our younger guys...which I think is possible. I do not see us slipping too far.

So for me.

Port...... Premiers
Sydney
North
Haw
Gee
Rich
GoldCoast
Freo

Last edited:
Listening to the media today trying to estimate where all teams would finish , and of course Geelong being roundly written off I thought it would be a good chance to put our best guess-estimate down in a thread.
Perhaps.....

Where will Geelong finish ( which is basically my main interest)

and perhaps the final 8 and Premiers.

I realise its a bit like "Pin the Tail on the Donkey" at the moment but Im a bit over us being written off. Very few rate us , they see the close wins as an opportunity to lose more game... and it may. But it also may be that we scraped thru when playing poorly and may well go better if we can get more from our younger guys...which I think is possible. I do not see us slipping too far.

So for me.

Port...... Premiers
Sydney
North
Haw
Gee
Rich
GoldCoast
Freo
Interested as to what was said and by whom in the media...

Main thing I want from us in H&A is to run out games an be competitive in the second half, we just weren't fit enough to run out games this year.
Our midfield needs to take the next step and Hawkins needs a genuine partner.

I don't really care so much where we finish, but if we make finals, I want to see a much more solid performance. We don't have to win the flag but we need to win another final.

I hope Port wins the flag but fear Hawthorn will.

Port (flag)
Hawthorn
Sydney
North Melbourne
Freo
Geelong
Richmond
Gold Coast

It also may be wishful thinking that Adelaide has a frustrating year, missing the 8. ;)

I hope Port wins the flag but fear Hawthorn will.

Port (flag)
Hawthorn
Sydney
North Melbourne
Freo
Geelong
Richmond
Gold Coast

It also may be wishful thinking that Adelaide has a frustrating year, missing the 8. ;)

I will be devastated if Hawthorn win it... But I don't think they will. Hodge Mitchell Burgoyne Lake and Gibson were their best Grand Final day, won't happen again, age is against them

Top 4 will involve some combination of Sydney, Port, Hawthorn, and Us.
5-8 will involve Freo, North, Gold Coast, Unknown Improving Club.

Port to win the premiership.

Us to win atleast 1 final maybe 2, without going all the way.

This is the hardest year to predict I can remember since 2007. Not that I have got it right that often.

But I sense we will finish probably 5 or 6 th and win a final !

1. Port Adelaide (Premiers)
2. Sydney
3. Hawthorn
4. North Melbourne
5. Geelong
6. Fremantle
7. Gold Coast
8. Adelaide

Smokie for 8 - GWS

9. Richmond ;)

Brownlow Medal - Nathan Fyfe
Coleman Medal - Lance Franklin or Tom Hawkins
Rising Star - Jarrad Jansen or Angus Brayshaw

Interested as to what was said and by whom in the media...

Not so much what was said , but what is not said. We are now yesterdays news , and Port is the the flavour. I can live with that but we are not even mentioned in the top 5 according to David King. As I said I understand that , question marks over the three mature players we have brought in and the way we finished..they wouldn't rate our young guys as much as us... they just keep saying we have to drop and eventually they will be right.

The thing is , I believe out of the top 6 , our additions have the potential to reshape our side the most. Port look on the cusp of it , North have moved from a young list to an old one , Sydney will be thinking the will be good again if not better, Freo will be desperate to make the most of their players.... and Haw , they have talent to be around again....but Clark , Stanley and Blease... could bring big change to our structure. And we have good kids as well. My only question is mid power to help Selwood , cover/improve in that and we could surprise...more likely another 20 odd games into our young group will serve us well for 2016.

1. Port Adelaide *
2. Hawthorn
3. Sydney
4. Norf
5. Gold Coast
6. Fremantle
7. Geelong
8. Richmond or Essendon

Quite obvious GC would of made finals if had Gaz.

Brownlow - Ablett, Fyfe tie
Coleman - Franklin
Norm - Boak
RS - petrecca

dunno, they went 9-6 with him and then 1-6 without, considering 12 wins got you into the eight this year, would he have given them those two or maybe three wins?
Short answer - Yes.

With Ablett I would've backed them to beat BL, Carlton and the dogs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Swans
2. Port Power
3. Hawthorn
4. Fremantle
5. Gold Coast
6. Adelaide
7. Geelong
8. North

Last: St Kilda
Brisbane to miss out on 8 by small %

they lost by 54 points to Brisbane and 39 points to Carlton, I would have thought the Port Adelaide clash was the one they were a serious chance in.
Their midfield this year looked lost without him getting the ball. Yes I would've backed them to win those games.

I'm quietly confident they can push for top 4 in 2015. I rate them.

Port
Sydney
Geelong
Hawks
Freo
Adel
North
GC

I think Port will beat Sydney in the GF.

We have 18 players on our senior list aged between 21-24. This is where most of the improvement will come from with Caddy and Guthrie at the very top of that list. Although I still think that some of our more mature players can have better seasons than their last, albeit only marginal.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Motlop has an AA type of season.

Time will tell. I don't care how you decide to rate or not rate a side. 14-15 wins is not beyond them. I guess we'll find out in late August:)

Tbh I have their r3 game vs us as a loss. I think they'll beat us frankly.

Port
Sydney
Geelong
Hawks
Freo
Adel
North
GC

I think Port will beat Sydney in the GF.

We have 18 players on our senior list aged between 21-24. This is where most of the improvement will come from with Caddy and Guthrie at the very top of that list. Although I still think that some of our more mature players can have better seasons than their last, albeit only marginal.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Motlop has an AA type of season.
They are behind Duncan imo , but those three are the at the sharp end of our youth . We need at least another 4 or more to get to level of Caddy and Guthrie now. Can find that from Cowan , Blease , GHS, Thurlow , Hartman , Jansen , Lang and Cockatoo become that in 2015. Its possible...just not obviously probable

Sydney
Hawks
Cats
Freo
Port
North
GC
Bombers
Port are still a little way off, I honestly believe they over achieved last year.
Sydney premiers

(1) Hawthorn - Premiers - they will be talking about the 4 peat-this time next year

(2) Fremantle - i think they will win plenty of home and away games - maybe even minor premiers

(3) Port -lot of expectation - only team who i think can defeat Hawks in GF

(4) Adelaide - i think the Crows are going to have a massive year - im convinced Sanderson had no idea - heard him last year say that G Ablett Snr was " misunderstood" - anyone who says that is a 1st class Dill

(5) Gold Coast - i think Rocket - will have the Suns rocketing up the ladder

(6) Sydney - that was a disgraceful performance in the GF - not dissimilar to Geelongs diabolical performance in 95GF - if i was a Bookie - i would confidently lay the Swans for plenty - not to win the flag

(7) Geelong - not sounding like a winger - but that is a tough tough draw - for a team who was bundled out in straight sets - but home games at KP against the easy kills - will mean finals for the 11th time in the last 12 years

(8) Collingwood - looked like finishing 4th there for a while last year - until absolutely decimated by injuries- should be thereabouts again

Other notable points - Nth Melb - what an overhyped mob of plodders- wont make the 8 - theres more chance of Donald Campbell breaking the land speed record - or Harold Holt running laps at Portsea beach - than Nth Melb winning the Premiership

Richmond will sack Hardwick ( who has done a reasonable job - a Rod Olsen type job) but they need a smarter type coach to take the next step

StKilda will finish last - trading players like McEvoy and Stanley who theve developed and are at a prime age - is Crazy - 0-22 for the Aints

Back