The 2015 SANFL Crows thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

With the way Pods seems to be grabbing it and clunking goals if the ball is anywhere near him could he fit into the side with Tex, Jerka, Charlie and Eddie? Lynch plays more up around the 40-80m from goals arc and with Pods and Jerka I would have thought you could have Tex roaming more. Tex and Pods could easily swap with one another, 1 roaming whilst the other playing deep forward.

Can't help but think the 4 of them plus the two smalls would be a nightmare to defend against, with Knight making way for Pods (or VB to miss out to allow for Pods).

Is that you Sando?

Is pods staying on as coach. I remember he mentioned something about business interests so perhaps hell be the callinan types role next year?

Lingy said on air last year that the coaching deal was set in stone when he signed with us. Pods himself was recently quoted in the paper that his, "off-field role was yet to be defined". I Think a role will have to be found for him or a binding contract paid out.

Lingy said on air last year that the coaching deal was set in stone when he signed with us. Pods himself was recently quoted in the paper that his, "off-field role was yet to be defined". I Think a role will have to be found for him or a binding contract paid out.
A role will be found for him, he's a a brilliant leader and mentor already for our forwardline and is effectively a playing coach this season.

I'm not one of these "no AFL in the SANFL" types, far from it, but I'm glad Pods didn't win the Ken Farmer.

It seems wrong that a full time professional footballer who is probably good enough to be in his AFL side except they've made the call that he's not part of the future so aren't playing him, wins an individual award by beating up on two very ordinary sides whose seasons are over.

Pods has plenty of bits and bobs for his pool room, I reckon it's nice that Alleway will have a Ken Farmer Medal.

A role will be found for him, he's a a brilliant leader and mentor already for our forwardline and is effectively a playing coach this season.

I have no idea about his efficacy in that area. I was making the point that I think he's already contracted. I would be disappointed if our current regime contracted someone 2 years in advance without a process in place to recruit the best available. But maybe this could be a punt from the old regime that pays off and one positive legacy of Sando.

FWIW, if it's a dead rubber against the cats and a player puts their hand up for a rest, I'd be very happy to see Pods get a farewell game next week. I don't know risky that is in terms of affecting our overall form and momentum, it's only one player of 22, but I'd trust the coaches to have a reasonable idea. And he's been in pretty good nick.

Think Pods would be a pretty popular option unless Van Berlo was to retire (don't see it happening). Martin has been mentioned but I think he actually falls one year too young to fill that role (think you have to be over 28 years old).

Pods would be a great skipper. The SANFL guys look up to him and he has so much to give. Nutta has been a great servant of footy in this state and at our club, wouldn't begrudge him heading home to finish up.

Reckon Brodie Martin may head back to Sturt (sure hope so) and VB has a year left and I can't see him being delisted.

Callinan is heading home next year isn't he? Will be interesting to see who skipper's the team.

There's no obvious retirees/delistings that could step in. Will Pods go around again?
Unless Porps wanted to come back then I'd guess Pods is the obvious option. Didn't see much of Westies this year to know if Porps has anything left in the tank though.

Unless Porps wanted to come back then I'd guess Pods is the obvious option. Didn't see much of Westies this year to know if Porps has anything left in the tank though.
Hes been pretty good, not sure he would leave Westies now nor should he.

How do you guys feel about the SANFL team not having a game during a finals campaign?
Some would know that I'm a diehard Sturt supporter so there's a bias in what I'm proposing....you've been warned, I'm going over some old ground.:)

Regardless of your views on the SANFL it is horribly compromised at the moment which isn't sustainable nor healthy but I accept the need for both AFL clubs to have their own reserves teams, I also accept that the SANFL is the best place to have them.
However there needs to be a better solution that suits all parties needs.
At the moment Adelaide are entering their first finals campaign with none of their excess players having somewhere to play. I don't think this is good. At the same time Port are dropping a few players back to the Power reserves to qualify for finals and will have 17-18 AFL listed players in this weekends game against West. This isn't good for the SANFL.

So I think the best possible solution is that both reserves teams bow out of the comp come SANFL finals time and agree to play each other in a series of games during AFL finals, assuring that both clubs will have competitive hit outs for their excess players come a finals series.
All 8 SANFL clubs and the 2 reserves teams can compete for the minor premiership as a title and the 8 traditional SANFL clubs can go on to compete for an un compromised finals series.

To me it's the only way and the model should be used in the WAFL and the VFL. Last year Williamstown was horribly compromised in the preliminary final when Box Hill were given a special allowance to play McEvoy when he didn't qualify for VFL finals, he went on to be BOG and Williamstown just lost a chance to play in a GF.
This year Peel Thunder (Freo's WAFL affiliate) will be undermanned when they face West Perth in the first final due to Freo resting players in the game against Port this week, again horribly compromising a finals series.

These sorts of events will continue and erode the lower tiers of footy which will weaken the code overall unless certain structures are implemented.

There has to be a better model that respects all clubs, teams and leagues.

How do you guys feel about the SANFL team not having a game during a finals campaign?
Some would know that I'm a diehard Sturt supporter so there's a bias in what I'm proposing....you've been warned, I'm going over some old ground.:)

Regardless of your views on the SANFL it is horribly compromised at the moment which isn't sustainable nor healthy but I accept the need for both AFL clubs to have their own reserves teams, I also accept that the SANFL is the best place to have them.
At the moment Adelaide are entering their first finals campaign with none of their excess players having somewhere to play. I don't think this is good. At the same time Port are dropping a few players back to the Power reserves to qualify for finals and will have 17-18 AFL listed players in this weekends game against West. This isn't good for the SANFL.

So I think the best possible solution is that both reserves teams bow out of the comp come SANFL finals time and agree to play each other in a series of games during AFL finals, assuring that both clubs will have competitive hit outs for their excess players come a finals series.
All 8 SANFL clubs and the 2 reserves teams can compete for the minor premiership as a title and the 8 traditional SANFL clubs can go on to compete for an un compromised finals series.

To me it's the only way and the model should be used in the WAFL and the VFL. Last year Williamstown was horribly compromised in the preliminary final when Box Hill were given a special allowance to play McEvoy when he didn't qualify for VFL finals, he went on to be BOG and Williamstown just lost a chance to play in a GF.
This year Peel Thunder (Freo's WAFL affiliate) will be undermanned when they face West Perth in the first final due to Freo resting players in the game against Port this week, again horribly compromising a finals series.

These sorts of events will continue and erode the lower tiers of footy which will weaken the code overall unless certain structures are implemented.

What Anti AFL in the SANFL people overlook is this is exactly what the SANFL Reserves and Under 18s Finals do to SAAFL Clubs.

The SAAFL being the subservient competition has to deal with it regarding the SANFL and the SANFL does regarding the AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the Port Power reserves would effectively never be able to win another SANFL premiership?

Maybe post this on their board, see what they think.
I've discussed this with many Port supporters, friends and other forums but taking it to the Port board would mean dealing with a mindset that I don't really need to do in my spare time.
The thing with Port is that if this model was introduced they could still field a stand alone SANFL team if they wanted. Selling out the Magpies on behalf of an AFL reserves team is hardly befitting Ports SANFL history.

What Anti AFL in the SANFL people overlook is this is exactly what the SANFL Reserves and Under 18s Finals do to SAAFL Clubs.

The SAAFL being the subservient competition has to deal with it regarding the SANFL and the SANFL does regarding the AFL
While I understand your point it's not really a fair comparison at all. Yes amateur clubs lose players to SANFL clubs but there aren't SANFL clubs fielding reserves teams in amateur leagues filled with SANFL grade players.
Which is my point.

While I understand your point it's not really a fair comparison at all. Yes amateur clubs lose players to SANFL clubs but there aren't SANFL clubs fielding reserves teams in amateur leagues filled with SANFL grade players.
Which is my point.

SANFL clubs taking and not taking players can have a big effect on Amateur League finals though and it still significantly affects the SAAFL.

Given at least our local SANFL clubs diminished assistance (and outright withholding of AFL Draft money we're entitled to) I have absolutely no sympathy for the SANFL.

The only level of football which takes more than it gives in my view

SANFL clubs taking and not taking players can have a big effect on Amateur League finals though and it still significantly affects the SAAFL.

Given at least our local SANFL clubs diminished assistance (and outright withholding of AFL Draft money we're entitled to) I have absolutely no sympathy for the SANFL.

The only level of football which takes more than it gives in my view
How has the SANFL clubs been withholding draft money? Honest question, I'm not aware of this issue.

How has the SANFL clubs been withholding draft money? Honest question, I'm not aware of this issue.

When a player gets drafted there is a payment made where the player's sanfl club, junior league and junior club all get a portion (and do so when the player reaches milestones ie 50 AFL games).

We have had issues with two who have point blank refused to release the money (the AFL pays the SANFL club who has the responsibility to further distribute the funds)

When a player gets drafted there is a payment made where the player's sanfl club, junior league and junior club all get a portion (and do so when the player reaches milestones ie 50 AFL games).

We have had issues with two who have point blank refused to release the money (the AFL pays the SANFL club who has the responsibility to further distribute the funds)
I'm aware of the system of the payments just not the reneging of the payments.

it's just to me a shrug and move on sort of thing. if we lose on sunday to the power ressies then i wont be mad. it's so difficult for our boys to match them for numerous reasons. losing to the reserves teams just don't bother me, which is just inherently wrong. lose to any other sanfl club and it ruins my day. it just feels so artificial.

I've discussed this with many Port supporters, friends and other forums but taking it to the Port board would mean dealing with a mindset that I don't really need to do in my spare time.
The thing with Port is that if this model was introduced they could still field a stand alone SANFL team if they wanted. Selling out the Magpies on behalf of an AFL reserves team is hardly befitting Ports SANFL history.
and yet they've done it anyway :)

Port's reserves wouldn't play these extra games if their AFL team didn't make the finals

Warren Gary on channel 9 just reported the SANFL clubs want to limit the crows and power to a maximum of 14 AFL listed playersw every week.

Why not just make us tie one arm behind our back and kick with out non dominate foot every touch?

If this happens, I will stop going as often as as I can as like most people, I want too see my team win and we may as well just give up and not waste our time playing every week as we will just not compete.

Plus they want Port Power to stop playing home gamews at Alberton. The commission will vote on this after the grand final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back