The 2015 SANFL Crows thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely after the way we performed in the 2nd half of the SANFL season (apart from a 3 point loss to the Eagles,we won every other game by over 40 points?) , its time that the club started talking to other AFL clubs and go to AFL House about organising a National AFL Reserves Competition, where all 18 clubs play each other in curtain raisers at AFL stadiums. If we had gone through the season without any injuries like we did in the 2nd half, then we would have only lost two or three games and probably finished on top of the ladder.

For a National AFL Reserves comp to work - the following has to happen (in my opinion)

ALL Reserves games must be played as curtain raisers at AFL stadiums, then the games MUST finish no earlier than half an hour before the AFL game starts or don't bother. I could see myself getting to Adelaide Oval a couple of hours early (instead of 1 hour before, like I normally do) to see most of the AFC Reserves play the Carlton Reserves but not if the current rules are still in place that state that the ground has to be available to the AFL teams at least 1 hour before the main game.

Up until the late 1990's the SANFL regularly played league curtain raisers (e.g. Norwood v South Adelaide etc) prior to an AFL game at Football Park, at this time (before the AFL clubs demanded warm ups) these games finished about 20 minutes before the main game starting. The games were great to watch and also gave the SANFL players experience in playing in front of good sized crowds, as by the time the last quarter got under way there was around 20,000 at the ground and by finish time there would be around 35,000 people there (for a 40-45,000 AFL game crowd).

It would be brilliant to cheer on the Crows Reserves and really make the day a whole day experience. How hard would it be to start the reserves game at 1:10pm for an AFL start of 4:10pm, with the reserves finishing at 3:40pm (I'd definitely get there at 2:30pm to watch the 2nd half) - still time for the AFL players to warm up on the ground, and they could always do a proper warm up on ground at half time of the reserves.
No money in it = no interest from the AFL.

Ideally there should be an AFL futures league. Every club plays their Reserves in this and top up players are Under 20's from a designated zone. A top up player is under an AFL scholarship which helps them get started in away from football training/education etc. as well as giving them a football education they can take back to State league/country/amateurs if they don't make an AFL list after their two years. Play as curtain raisers where possible.
I like the idea.

Do you think the SANFL clubs would whinge that their players were being taken as top up players?

25,765 was an excellent crowd.

West and Eagles both have nearly the smallest supporter bases in the league.

Last year was different, the two biggest supporter bases and the first Grand Final back at Adelaide Oval, meant 38,644 crowd.

25,765 was an excellent crowd.

West and Eagles both have nearly the smallest supporter bases in the league.

Last year was different, the two biggest supporter bases and the first Grand Final back at Adelaide Oval, meant 38,644 crowd.

I would have guessed 20 - 25k so yeah just over 25k is a win.

I still wonder where all the supporters go all year tho. It's not that expensive to attend the occasional SANFL game, is it? ;)

West Adelaide - I still don't believe it!....:D

I will be one of the few absolutely resenting this. My ex's parents and therefore whole family were huge West fans despite living in the Norwood area.

Other than Port, West were the team I least wanted to win it for such petty reasons. Aren't they the only reasons?!

Oh well. If it takes them 32 years to win another one then I can accept it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to Merry for the Best on Ground medal (whatever they call it). 44 possessions I think it was, which is ridiculous for a Grand Final.
Porp looked great. Was moving well, pretty much the ball never made it past him when he was in the area. Interesting to see him off half back. It's one role that we never tried him in (he did great as a medium forward and even played some very good footy through the midfield, but never back).

How has Beech been this season? Sort of interested given how close we were to selecting him last season, I'm guessing he's probably not one we'd be chasing any longer though.

Congrats to Merry for the Best on Ground medal (whatever they call it). 44 possessions I think it was, which is ridiculous for a Grand Final.
Porp looked great. Was moving well, pretty much the ball never made it past him when he was in the area. Interesting to see him off half back. It's one role that we never tried him in (he did great as a medium forward and even played some very good footy through the midfield, but never back).

Think he was playing midfield early and went back as a spare in defence in the last. He was impassable in that last quarter. Porps played a terrific game and I reckon his kicking was close to 100%. Schmidt also had a good game.
Great game of footy to watch and pleased for Westies after the long drought.

What was the knock on Schmidt when he was playing for us?
I put Schmidt in that Bryce Campbell, Justin Cicolella, Lance Picioane, Daniel Schell, even Matthew Bode to an extent bracket of players.
Great SANFL players, who just lack that one attribute that lets that translate to AFL level.
Kind of have all the tools, but they are all GMC brand. Do the job, but you buy the more expensive model because they are just better.

How has Beech been this season? Sort of interested given how close we were to selecting him last season, I'm guessing he's probably not one we'd be chasing any longer though.
Pretty sure I heard the commentators say he averages the most marks in the league. 7 per game or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back