Mega Thread The 2015 Season Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I got a completely different feel - I thought that they were personal issues that some players were dealing with. These types of incidents come to the head coach, but not to the assistants.

These young guys have lives outside of the footy bubble - and whether it is a sick relative, a problem in your relationship, some financial problems - they all influence individuals differently.

I reckon his point was that he rarely got involved in those types of things, but now as head coach - it's part of his job, and a responsibility that he takes seriously.
You're dealing with people so could be anything realistically ...depression , relationship issues , drug addiction etc etc ...

I don't know.
So many guys in here have complained that the club accepts mediocrity too easily. We now have a coach that will not accept mediocrity. We now have a coach that alludes to turning players over until he finds those that will put up when required, but some of us now think he may be too abrupt and may upset these players?
As far as his media persona? Who gives a flying f... what journos will think?
Exactly .... And despite the line that will be trotted
out even supporters .... Winning and success will make supporters more happy than open training sessions , feeling engaged , match day experience etc etc

Can't understand all of the love for this interview. He barely said a damn thing apart from condescendingly telling the journo's he wasn't going to answer their questions.

Seems extremely intelligent and very very passionate about footy and the club. Looks like he is genuinely excited about the tactical side of the game and think this will be a huge turnaround.

For me the two early concerns with Walsh are as follows:

1. His ability to deal with the media if we start losing badly. Think this could turn very ugly. Its all very good to sit there and talk team first mantra in the preseason and say that you aren't going to give anything away. Its another story when the media smell blood.

2. His hardline approach. Yes its refreshing because its the complete opposite of sacked Sando. There must be concern about his ability to deal with the younger generation. Said in the press conference there have been some incidents down at the club that he could have handled better. Bit of a red flag there.

Very excited for football to played so we can see what his gameplan actually is and how we respond to it.

The ultimate pessimist ....half empty approach

Laud the club for appointing the coach with a hardline approach and dislike for the media ......then criticise him for same

Is there anything about Phil that we didn't know about b4 appointing him ......NO

Has anyone got the perfect persona that doesn't expose them to redicule from supporters or press ........NO

We know where you sit on things (on the pickets ) .......but i don't see much difference between Clarkson, Malthouse and Walsh .....and that's a good thing

Very happy to have a them v us approach to everything .....rather than the "try to please everyone approach" of the past

The ultimate pessimist ....half empty approach

Well that was an interesting post. Love how you skip over my positive thoughts on Walsh to call me the ultimate pessimist.

Laud the club for appointing the coach with a hardline approach and dislike for the media ......then criticise him for same

I think you have got your panties all twisted up over absolutely nothing. What have I criticised him for? I have some concerns about how he will go with certain aspects of the job. These concerns are based on weaknesses he himself has said he has and needs to overcome.

Is there anything about Phil that we didn't know about b4 appointing him ......NO

Has anyone got the perfect persona that doesn't expose them to redicule from supporters or press ........NO

I have to assume this is a drunk rant. Surely it must be. What are you on about?

Where did I ever say we needed to have a coach with a perfect persona?

We know where you sit on things (on the pickets ) .......but i don't see much difference between Clarkson, Malthouse and Walsh .....and that's a good thing

Sure. There are some definite similarities between Walsh and Clarkson/Malthouse. As the colonel pointed out there are also some similarities between Walsh and Neeld/McCartney. Lets hope the coaching groups collective strengths can overcome Walsh's self admitted weakness and he can be a successful head coach.

Very happy to have a them v us approach to everything .....rather than the "try to please everyone approach" of the past

I am also happy with the direction the club has gone. You need to stop thinking in absolutes. People can really like a coach or player but still discuss their weaknesses and not be a pessimist.

The club is going to announce their new motto tonight at the season launch. Any guesses what it will be?

The club is going to announce their new motto tonight at the season launch. Any guesses what it will be?

Isn't it YOU BE THE HERO (hope not) ...

116333_71d482b1a950bdc0287ad57f8099f7e3.png

Terrible hashtag - reads like "You Bet He Hero" reminds me of these http://www.boredpanda.com/worst-domain-names/

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't really know where to put it, so thought here was a good thread. Q&A with Fages by Harry Thring

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-03-09/andrew-fagan-qa

I liked this. Fages words re 'AFC identity' are particularly pleasing......'....if supporters aren't really clear about what you stand for as a footy club the only thing they can turn to is on-field results'. Love it! - we are emerging to become ourselves (if that makes sense!) We need more than just a season of results.

He also said he has been working hard on 'redefining vision' and 'redefining values' which will be released in the next couple of months.

I know these are 'you beaut modern phrases' but also under the topic of IDENTITY he said ' redefine how we wish to act as a footy club and where we wish to take the footy club'. I like the act bit. If it transposes into change that casts off defensive secrecy, spin responses, exclusion, and results in an undeniable sense that the AFC has become in charge of itself and assumes the ethos of being as much for its members as well as the bigger corporate picture etc. all will be well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always thought when we had Brett Burton that we should have had him fronting our campaign with "Come Fly With Me" as our membership slogan. Crow... fly... Burton took hangers... also Sinatra playing in the background which would have appealed to our membership base. I sent it in to the club as a suggestion but I think by then they'd stopped accepting my emails.

I always thought when we had Brett Burton that we should have had him fronting our campaign with "Come Fly With Me" as our membership slogan. Crow... fly... Burton took hangers... also Sinatra playing in the background which would have appealed to our membership base. I sent it in to the club as a suggestion but I think by then they'd stopped accepting my emails.
First thing I thought when I saw "we fly as one" was its a pity the birdman isn't around to front the campaign

Great concept, wonderful player and bloke, but unfortunately a pallet load of ugly sticks fell on him at birth...

Love the Birdman. So weird.

That's gold. Get Howe. Make it happen.

not sure how old this is (just saw it attached to an article from today) but fwiw David King has us for "certainties" for the 8:

I think King said Geelong would miss the 8 too, so I'm not too inclined to think he's a genius for having is in the 8.
nah I'm not reading anything into it but I do tend to agree with him about us :D not a bad listen, seems to know more about us than your run of the mill footy commentator

Kingy, while being a pretentious flog at times, actually has some very insightful things to say and picks up on tiny details that most wouldn't. He has his moments and I enjoy listening to his game day analysis.

Can't understand all of the love for this interview. He barely said a damn thing apart from condescendingly telling the journo's he wasn't going to answer their questions.
A bit late for me to be quoting this but it needs to be said.

It's becoming Ken Hinkleyish. Too many times a lame Hinkley comment has been immortalised in a golden vault of crass to which idiot journos, media fools and delusional fans fall on their knees and carry on like it holds the secrets of the universe. I don't want Walsh's comments to become that circus with everybody fawning over anything that comes out of his mouth. Firstly it's unwarranted, and then it's just plain embarrassing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back