Mega Thread The 2015 Season Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Really don't see how this could be perceived as a negative. Walsh has stated that coaches need to perform on match day much the same as players. Have to think bringing in an impartial observer like Woosha will help him asses the coaching panel if there are any areas they need to work on.

This is a great thing. No doubt the Tiser will make out that Walsh is insecure.

I would love it if it turned out that Worsfold was testing the waters with an eye to perhaps coming on board full time in the future.

Next year we might be able to add Worsfold and Darren Glass full time. Together with guys like O'Keefe, we are building a very strong coaching group.

Really don't see how this could be perceived as a negative. Walsh has stated that coaches need to perform on match day much the same as players. Have to think bringing in an impartial observer like Woosha will help him asses the coaching panel if there are any areas they need to work on.

This. To me, it shows a massive sign of self-confidence and security to bring in a bloke like Woosha and then take his comments on board.

I'd be more concerned if Walsh started going - "I'm the coach, nobody gets to tell me what to do."

It's also a strong message to his players that his performance is under the microscope as well.

PW: Woosha? I need to dump some of these knuckleheads out of the box. I have to work with them though, so don't want them cracking the sads with me. Any chance you could come in and have a look, then recommend we "stream line" the match day coaching operation?

Great idea. Can you imagine Neil Craig allowing anyone other than Trigg to analyse and critique his match day coaching staff, himself included.

Woosha: Who you going to put on Buddy?
Neil: Hmmmm, how about ........
Woosha: Ha ha good one craigy. But seriously, who.......

Great idea. Can you imagine Neil Craig allowing anyone other than Trigg to analyse and critique his match day coaching staff, himself included.

Woosha: Who you going to put on Buddy?
Neil: Hmmmm, how about ........
Woosha: Ha ha good one craigy. But seriously, who.......

Or our most recent coach:

Woosha: Who are you going to put on Buddy?
Sando: Why?
Woosha: He's kicked three goals in four minutes.
Sando: It's half-time in ten minutes, let me have a little think about it and I'll get back to you.

PW: Woosha? I need to dump some of these knuckleheads out of the box. I have to work with them though, so don't want them cracking the sads with me. Any chance you could come in and have a look, then recommend we "stream line" the match day coaching operation?

Sneak preview of the interview afterwards:

If Woosha was adjacent to anyone one at work in any industry, they'd be working 20% harder at it...

Woosha: Hows that McShake coming along son?
Maccas kid: Please dont hurt me mister...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or our most recent coach:

Woosha: Who are you going to put on Buddy?
Sando: Why?
Woosha: He's kicked three goals in four minutes.
Sando: It's half-time in ten minutes, let me have a little think about it and I'll get back to you.
Woosha: Are you going to bring paddy off?
Sando:why?
Woosha: Because he's unconscious.
Sando: You try telling Patrick Dangerfield he needs to come off.

I like that it's pre-emptive.

Not a knee jerk reaction to a few losses when panic starts setting in. Like getting a rugby bloke in for a session after Round 5 when you realise our players can't tackle.

Very sensible move. Worsfold isn't coming on board as a Senior Assistant, but rather as an observer to provide feedback on how the coaches box operates in order to improve things further. It also sends a message to the playing group that the coaches are committed to doing things to improve their own performance and leading from the front.

Very professional move to get a knowledgable outside opinion to sit in to provide valuable feedback, shows Walsh isn't blonded by his own ego and is open to seeking help/evaluation on his systems.

It certainly does that, but is it because he's genuinely wanting to improve (given he's only coached 2 games) or is it because he's scared/intimidated/freaking out? Appears much more likely to be the former, and i suppose the latter isn't even such a bad thing if he is willing to reach out for help so soon.

The article talked about how it was relating to development of our younger coaches

The former West Coast captain and defender will study how Walsh and his team operate before, during and after the game giving invaluable insight on how Walsh can fast track the development of his match-day staff as a group — and as individuals, particularly those such as David Teague who are considered potential AFL senior coaches.

That was one of Walsh's strong points he made early on about our best football department he is seeking to have, whereby coaches want to come here for what they will learn before moving on to higher positions. This is one way that Walsh is working towards having that.

Worsfold as the new Chair of the Coaches Association is the perfect person to have here, and a bonus is that he and Walsh have a prior working experience. Interesting that the article doesn't mention Woosha's role in the Coaches Association and just refers to him as a previous senior coach of the Eagles.

Woosha as senior assistant please

Nope, Walshy doesn't need one. He knows that about himself, and has said it numerous times so why do people keep bringing it up? He knows where his shortcomings possibly are and is asking for assistance there. The hardest part of coaching is knowing your own strengths and weaknesses and then identifying how to make the most of one and improving the other.

I like that it's pre-emptive.

Not a knee jerk reaction to a few losses when panic starts setting in. Like getting a rugby bloke in for a session after Round 5 when you realise our players can't tackle.

Being proactive instead of reactive in the Adelaide coaching box? I'm still not quite sure I believe I've read what I've read, and this isn't some sort of wonderful dream.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back