#AFLLionsPower

TV state footy
Sun #VFL Seven Mel 72k
Sun #SANFL
Seven Ade 44k
Sat #WAFL #WAFooty 7mate Per 20k
Sat #NEAFL #NITV #NTthunder 3k

2015AFLRatingsR7.png

The VFL figure of 72k on Ch 7 last Sunday would make the League and seven quite happy The game also looked good with a decent sized crowd at Punt Road.

Some Tassie & WA regional ratings for Rounds 1 & 2:

Regional Ranking Report - Free To Air Only
Week 14 2015 (29/3/15 - 4/4/15)
SEVEN'S AFL: THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ....................... SOUTHERN CROSS TAS ... 70k
SEVEN'S AFL: THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL - PRE-MATCH ... SOUTHERN CROSS TAS ... 45k
SEVEN'S AFL: SATURDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ....................... 7mate (WA) ................... 40k

http://www.regionaltam.com.au/upload/weekly-reports/RegTAM-20150329-E2RegFTARankSumCons.pdf

Week 15 2015 (5/4/15 - 11/4/15)
SEVEN'S AFL: MONDAY AFTERNOON FOOTBALL .................. SOUTHERN CROSS TAS ... 51k
SEVEN'S AFL: SATURDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL - PRE-MATCH ... SOUTHERN CROSS TAS ... 45k
SEVEN'S AFL: SATURDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ....................... SOUTHERN CROSS TAS ... 44k
SEVEN'S AFL: FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ............................ 7mate (WA) ................... 47k
SEVEN'S AFL: SATURDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ....................... 7mate (WA) ................... 34k
SEVEN'S AFL: SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL .......................... 7mate (WA) ................... 43k

http://www.regionaltam.com.au/upload/weekly-reports/RegTAM-20150405-E2RegFTARankSumCons.pdf

The VFL figure of 72k on Ch 7 last Sunday would make the League and seven quite happy The game also looked good with a decent sized crowd at Punt Road.

Getting decent VFL ratings when AFL reserves teams are involved. Take them out though, and the SANFL beat the the other week. Not sure how the SANFL would feel about the local version of the showdowns ratings though.

2015Statefooty.png

Some Tassie & WA regional ratings for Rounds 1 & 2:

Week 14 2015 (29/3/15 - 4/4/15)
SEVEN'S AFL: THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ....................... SOUTHERN CROSS TAS ... 70k
SEVEN'S AFL: THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL - PRE-MATCH ... SOUTHERN CROSS TAS ... 45k
SEVEN'S AFL: SATURDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ....................... 7mate (WA) ................... 40k

http://www.regionaltam.com.au/upload/weekly-reports/RegTAM-20150329-E2RegFTARankSumCons.pdf

Week 15 2015 (5/4/15 - 11/4/15)
SEVEN'S AFL: MONDAY AFTERNOON FOOTBALL .................. SOUTHERN CROSS TAS ... 51k
SEVEN'S AFL: SATURDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL - PRE-MATCH ... SOUTHERN CROSS TAS ... 45k
SEVEN'S AFL: SATURDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ....................... SOUTHERN CROSS TAS ... 44k
SEVEN'S AFL: FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ............................ 7mate (WA) ................... 47k
SEVEN'S AFL: SATURDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ....................... 7mate (WA) ................... 34k
SEVEN'S AFL: SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL .......................... 7mate (WA) ................... 43k

http://www.regionaltam.com.au/upload/weekly-reports/RegTAM-20150405-E2RegFTARankSumCons.pdf

Already on the sheet and accounted for.

many people were also standing outside looking in, it helps when the firsts were playing a couple of minutes walk away

at $10 per adult entry it is cheaper than the WAFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The_Wookie I noticed on this weeks podcast you referred to declining ratings (down by ~16% if I recall).

I know this would be partly to do with blowouts on Friday nights (mainly due to Carlton) but I think it's largely a result of the AFL's pig-headed "crowd/revenue maximisation" policies which they are getting some blowback on now.

I've argued for years around the fixture but I think the AFL has failed here on two fronts;
  1. By trying to increase ratings by putting "big clubs" instead of "big games" on the main stage they've diluted the big clubs appeal to the neutral supporters through over-exposure
  2. By putting all their eggs in the "big 4" basket (Richmond, Carlton & Collingwood this year occupying 21/46 Friday Night slots) they open themselves up to disaster when one or more of those clubs under-performs (as exampled by the Blues this season and potentially the Tigers and Pies as the season wears on)
Then you have the subsequent issues related to fairness etc which have been debated ad nauseum in other threads.

I can understand the AFL's thinking however I think they have taken an extremely narrow, short-term view to this. If they focused on promoting the competition as a whole, focusing on the big games (even if it's North vs Port for example) and having an "any given day" approach rather than falling back on Carlton and Collingwood every Friday because they are guaranteed to have a certain amount of viewers it would be in the best long term interests of the competition as a whole and the clubs in general.

I think the fixturing issue ties into this as well as often return games have lower crowds and fewer viewers unless there's a finals spot up for grabs. If they took the NFL approach of less is more and have a 17/18 game season they may take a short term hit however long term I think it will benefit them financially. Currently supply exceeds demand and over exposure/blowouts/dead rubber games are far too common.

I won't hold my breath though as the AFL is more likely to replace Carlton with Essendon next season on Friday nights (unless there's bans) and are more likely to expand the competition to 20 teams for a 19 round season than reduce the amount of games played. There is not enough "big picture" thinking at AFL House and too much looking after parochial interests.

Having just done this for the footyindustry site and the podcast thread

As reported in AFL Annual Reports.
  • 2003 - The average number of weekly free to air tv audiences in the five mainland capital cities was 3.84 million in 2003, an increase of 10%
  • 2004 - On average 3.54 million people watched the AFL premiership season on Network 10 and the Nine Network in the five mainland capitals. Foxfooty's channels three live matches averaged more than 150,000 viewers.
  • 2005 - On average, 4.02 million people watched AFL matches on television in 2005, up 1.2 per cent on 2004.
  • 2006 - The average weekly national TV audience for each round of the premiership season was 3.94 million.
  • 2007 - An average weekly national audience of 4.97 million people watched AFL matches on television throughout Australia
  • 2008 - The average TV audience per round during the Toyota AFL Premiership Season was 4.668 million people, compared to 4.887 million in 2007. The national Fox Sports audience per game was 168,808, compared to the 2007 average of 163,460.
  • 2009 - Other highlights of the 2009 season included an average audience per round for the premiership season of 4.5 million viewers on Network Ten, the Seven Network and Fox Sports.
  • 2010 - Broadcasts take our game to an average audience of 4.16 million people per week of the premiership season while also showcasing each of the AFL clubs.
- Gold Coast enter the AFL -
  • 2011 - The 2011 Toyota AFL Premiership Season continued to attract strong audiences across both free-to-air and subscription television attracting an average 4.05 million viewers per round nationally. Free-to-air regional markets drew strong viewership with an overall increase of 1.4 per cent, while free-to-air mainland capital cities dropped by 4.4 per cent. Strong audiences on Fox Sports saw an increase of 18.1 per cent across all matches in 2011, providing for a national average audience per game of 184,077 compared to 155,836 in 2010
- Greater Western Sydney enter the AFL - I think from here they started including regional ratings in the total.
  • 2012 - an average gross national weekly audience of 4.781 million people watched the premiership season on the Seven Network and Fox Sports, maintaining the AFL’s position as the most watched sports competition in Australia. Total AFL television audiences increased 12 per cent on 2011 with cumulative audiences up in every market compared to 2012.
  • 2013 - The average gross national audience per round of the Premiership Season (across free-to-air and subscription television) was 4.729 million. The cumulative gross national audience during the home and away season was nearly 109 million. Seven Network audiences were slightly down year-on-year (0.7 per cent), a smaller decline than the decline for Australian free-to-air television ratings generally, while viewership on subscription television increased by 6.3 per cent year on year.
  • 2014 - The premiership season continued to be the most watched national sports competition in 2014, with a total average aggregate audience of 4,727,623 people each week throughout the season. Downloads of the AFL live app, club apps and Fantasy app totalled 3.8 million compared with 2.9 million in 2013. The cumulative gross national audience during the home and away season was nearly 109 million (108,735,321) – an almost identical result to that in 2013. Seven Network metropolitan audiences were down slightly year-on-year (2.6 per cent), a smaller decline than the decline for Australian television ratings generally. Free-to-air regional audiences recorded a marginal increase of 0.5 per cent, while viewership on subscription television increased by 2.1 per cent year-on-year.

2014 - The premiership season continued to be the most watched national sports competition in 2014, with a total average aggregate audience of 4,727,623 people each week throughout the season.

Thats why the AFL get the big dollars for their rights because of weekly figures like this all around the nation. The NRL basically rely on SSO to pull the amount of TV rights dollars up and even then its mainly huge NSW SSO numbers that allow the ratings they achieve.
No matter what the RL get for their rights I still believe the AFL will come in at around 1.8 billion esp with a night GF and Good Friday in the mix both of which would be ratings winners esp GF in the Afternoon.

2014 - The premiership season continued to be the most watched national sports competition in 2014, with a total average aggregate audience of 4,727,623 people each week throughout the season.

Thats why the AFL get the big dollars for their rights because of weekly figures like this all around the nation. The NRL basically rely on SSO to pull the amount of TV rights dollars up and even then its mainly huge NSW SSO numbers that allow the ratings they achieve.
No matter what the RL get for their rights I still believe the AFL will come in at around 1.8 billion esp with a night GF and Good Friday in the mix both of which would be ratings winners esp GF in the Afternoon.
ahh, no. ad buyers only care about averages, not cumulative ratings.

Origin accounts for less than 10% of rugby league ratings throughout the year, you're completely ignorant if you think the NRL premiership is not the lifeblood of the code.

Rubbish, they'd care more about audience reach, I.e how many people viewed their message.
you clearly missed the point, cumulative audiences are inconsequential for media buyers because they buy by the programmes average audience, not a collective audience that could be the equivalent of x number of games across x number of broadcasts.

you clearly missed the point, cumulative audiences are inconsequential for media buyers because they buy by the programmes average audience, not a collective audience that could be the equivalent of x number of games across x number of broadcasts.

So what you're saying is that as a competition the AFL is streets ahead?

Please define.

So what you're saying is that as a competition the AFL is streets ahead?

Please define.
no, the fact media buyers look at average audience over cumulative ratings is not unique to either code and it's wrong to make the assumption that 4m ratings across a round of the AFL season will dictate rights value, just as it would be to say because rugby league has larger cumulative ratings for the year their rights are more valuable, to media buyers, who ultimately provide the revenue for the networks to pay for the rights, it's about average audience, which the AFL may well be higher, I don't know, you'd have to ask The_Wookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back