The 2015 TV Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly, all this talk of soccer 'taking over' is absolute rubbish. The commercial networks don't want to touch it because they all know its a ratings loser and the recent success of the BBL will only serve to take more viewers away from the A-League

The simple fact is that Australians will not accept a sport which is not played at its pinnacle (AFL, NRL, Cricket, Super Rugby) therefore the 4th rate A-League will forever remain a niche sporting league for the diehards

Precisely the point.

We all know there is almost endless interest in soccer but it is in English and Spanish soccer not the third rate stuff available in the A League.

It will never realy take off while there is inherited interest in AFL and NRL allied to European soccer on TV/online.

Precisely the point.

We all know there is almost endless interest in soccer but it is in English and Spanish soccer not the third rate stuff available in the A League.

It will never realy take off while there is inherited interest in AFL and NRL allied to European soccer on TV/online.

I agree with your term inherited interest, but inherited will only take you so far, the game also has to be interesting and reinvent itself in some way for each new generation, which means adding or subtracting teams, searching for new support bases and areas etc and making the game itself compatible with the demos and community standards of the time.

Sun TV #AFL Arvo Seven 328k (Mel 195k Ade 134k) 7mate 44k (Syd 22k Bri 22k)

Sun TV #AFL evening Seven Ade 143k 7mate Per 103k

Sun STV #AFL #FoxFooty
#AFLFreoPower 246k
#AFLCrowsNorth 208k
#AFLSaintsGiants 159k

Sun TV #AFL Arvo Seven 328k (Mel 195k Ade 134k) 7mate 44k (Syd 22k Bri 22k)

Sun TV #AFL evening Seven Ade 143k 7mate Per 103k

Sun STV #AFL #FoxFooty
#AFLFreoPower 246k
#AFLCrowsNorth 208k
#AFLSaintsGiants 159k

Don't believe it.

Said it before and i understand that people live and die by it, lose and gain jobs etc, just reckon that rating is low and wrong.

Just on that i notice both the Eagles and Dockers games were on 7 mate, yet todays game is on 7 ( Geelong/Hawthorn ) ?? !!

Don't believe it.

Said it before and i understand that people live and die by it, lose and gain jobs etc, just reckon that rating is low and wrong.

Just on that i notice both the Eagles and Dockers games were on 7 mate, yet todays game is on 7 ( Geelong/Hawthorn ) ?? !!
Put it in context, it was the highest rating show in Perth for the night.

Put it in context, it was the highest rating show in Perth for the night.

Wasn't aware of that and the ratings are what they are, i get that bit, it is the best standard we have of measuring them.

They just sound very low IMO

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geel v Haw Just short of last year on Fox (320). FTA metro up on last year (587)

R1 v R1
- 300k short in the metro FTA figures
- 300k up on Fox figures

Easter v Easter

- up 100k on metro FTA
- up 700k on Fox

AFL v NRL

- 2415k v 1632k on metro FTA only
- 1959k v 1332k on Fox only.
- regionals not included yet.

Don't believe it.

There's also the 35,000 people at the ground in Perth that aren't watching it on TV.

There's also the 35,000 people at the ground in Perth that aren't watching it on TV.

They even got the crowd wrong as well.

Many people holiday at Rottnest, Lancelin and Mandurah from Perth, the actual rating coverage area for metro Perth includes those places but even further North and South.

If for EX someone with a rating box left Perth and went to Lancelin or Rottnest for Easter, they are actually still within the metro area for ratings purposes, probably watching the footy but not pressing buttons

The whole thing is a bit of joke IMO

http://www.oztam.com.au/documents/Other/Metropolitan Coverage Maps 2015.pdf

It was also a delayed telecast on 7mate, so anyone that does have Fox would have been watching it live on Fox.

Don't underestimate the 7mate impact as well. Probably cost 7 40-50k viewers not having it on the main channel.

It was also a delayed telecast on 7mate, so anyone that does have Fox would have been watching it live on Fox.

Don't underestimate the 7mate impact as well. Probably cost 7 40-50k viewers not having it on the main channel.

I don't understand how an extra 40/50 k of people watch 7 compared to 7mate, if you want to watch the footy you watch it, you don't have to actually get off the couch to manually change channels.

How many remotes these days do not have guides.

I don't understand how an extra 40/50 k of people watch 7 compared to 7mate, if you want to watch the footy you watch it, you don't have to actually get off the couch to manually change channels.

How many remotes these days do not have guides.

I dunno why it is, but it just is.

It appears to cost the network about 30-35% of it's viewers by moving it to a multichannel. So if they get 150k on a main channel, they'll get 100k on a multi. I'd expect that over time that number will drop though.

But bear in mind that there are a lot more casual followers of the game than there are hard core fans. People that post here are all going to know what time the game starts. Many more might know there's a game on, but not know when it starts. And plenty more will watch if it's on when they flick on the TV and check the main channels and it's there. And TBH, I can see what they're talking about. I usually watch Foxtel, but sometimes if there's nothing on i'll flick it over to FTA and check 7mate, Go, and maybe One and 11. I'm pretty bloody sure that whatever crap they've got on 7two or gem (or the main channels for that matter) I won't like, so I won't bother checking it. It'd be the same with anyone over 50 and 7mate. They never watch it, so why would they check it?

2015AFLRatingsR1.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back