The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a nick hornby book. First one of his that i've read
Did you like it, Nicky?

I often have a couple of books on the go, a horrible habit I know. Just finished American Psycho. I found it equally funny and disturbing; eventually the killing becomes tiresome. 4/5.
I have that habit as well :) Often 2 books on the go depending which room I am in at the time lol

I've been trying to blitz through the Songs of Fire & Ice books before the next GoT series starts. In the last month I've worked through Clash of Kings and the two Storm of Swords books. I just began The Feast of Crows and am about 2 chapters in.

Gonna need some non-fiction after I finish this I think or some Vonnegut or HST.

Currently reading Cities of the Plain by Cormac McCarthy. I read the others in the trilogy a while ago but a few pages in and everything started coming back. Im taking a break from Hemmingway after getting hooked last year and reading nothing else for a good few months. For Whom the Bell Tolls blew me away.

Currently reading Cities of the Plain by Cormac McCarthy. I read the others in the trilogy a while ago but a few pages in and everything started coming back. Im taking a break from Hemmingway after getting hooked last year and reading nothing else for a good few months. For Whom the Bell Tolls blew me away.
The Border Trilogy is probably the best thing I've read. Did you read the third before this?

The Border Trilogy is probably the best thing I've read. Did you read the third before this?

Nah, read the first 2 last year and just finishing it now that Ive found the 3rd one. Really liked the first 2 and No Country is one of my favourite reads ever.

Nah, read the first 2 last year and just finishing it now that Ive found the 3rd one. Really liked the first 2 and No Country is one of my favourite reads ever.
Of course, my mistake. The Crossing is the second not sure why I thought that. All the Pretty Horses is my favourite followed closely behind by Cities of the Plain. But they are all brilliant.

On Hemingway, have you read A Moveable Feast?

Of course, my mistake. The Crossing is the second not sure why I thought that. All the Pretty Horses is my favourite followed closely behind by Cities of the Plain. But they are all brilliant.

On Hemingway, have you read A Moveable Feast?

Not yet but keen. What's it like?

I started with The Sun Also Rises which got me hooked then read short stories (Snows of Mt Kilimanjaro, Old Man and the Sea etc) then Farewell to Arms kicked me in the guts and so I read For Whom the Bell Tolls which was probably my favourite. Thats it so far.

Last edited:
Not yet but keen. What's it like?

I started with The Sun Also Rises which got me hooked then read short stories (Snows of snows of Mt Kilimanjaro, Old Man and the Sea etc) then Farewell to Arms kicked me in the guts and so I read For Whom the Bell Tolls which was probably my favourite. Thats it so far.
I really like it. It is a memoir of his his life in the 1920s as a starving writer living in Paris for most of the book.

If I was pressed to pick my favourite of the Border trilogy, might opt for The Crossing, but they all have brilliant stretches and I have only read them all the once.

Finished White Noise. It's probably the tightest and most consistent effort I have read from DeLillo to date. It maintains a plot/thematic arc that some of his other works handle in a slightly more clumsy fashion. Underworld was amazing, and I really adored the first half of The Names before I realised the story was running out of steam a little too quickly. Libra will probably be my next one, in 6 months to a year maybe.

Now on to The Counselor screenplay book, which will probably only be a few days at most. Mason & Dixon follows that, bracing myself. Could be a stop-start affair, we'll see.

Just finished The Book Thief.

Working through A Dance with Dragons.

Started Winter's Bone after distractedly watching the movie on SBS a couple of weeks ago then watching it properly on DVD a few days ago.

Can't believe I haven't heard or noticed a lot of these books I THOUGHT I have been a reader

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you mean by 'have been a reader'?
I mean that I have read books , a lot, since I was 7 :) Thought I knew heaps of authors names, even if I haven't read their books But so many , to me, new ones on here/ A veritable feast of new names and books to look for :):thumbsu:

Got some good stuff from the local library today. I'm trying to read the entire "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die." Currently read 124.

Mr Vertigo - Paul Auster
Sabbath's Theatre - Philip Roth
The Sea - John Banville
The Master - Colm Toibin
Dining on Stones - Iain Sinclair
Money - Martin Amis
The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen

And nearly finished "Lord of the Flies."
Which list did you go by for the 1001 books etc ? Just googled it and a few lists came up Need some guidance from you please for the list you go by ?:)

I mean that I have read books , a lot, since I was 7 :) Thought I knew heaps of authors names, even if I haven't read their books But so many , to me, new ones on here/ A veritable feast of new names and books to look for :):thumbsu:
Oh ok, I thought you meant you had stopped reading or something. I agree, this is great for finding out about what books to read.

Which list did you go by for the 1001 books etc ? Just googled it and a few lists came up Need some guidance from you please for the list you go by ?:)

I use the list edited by Peter Boxall. I think it began in 2006 and was updated in 2008, 2010 and 2012. I'm going on the 2008 list. The good thing is that there are books added and deleted from the list.

The current list is here.

I use the list edited by Peter Boxall. I think it began in 2006 and was updated in 2008, 2010 and 2012. I'm going on the 2008 list. The good thing is that there are books added and deleted from the list.

The current list is here.
thank you very much Will study it. Be interesting to see which ones I know/have read/have heard of :):thumbsu:

Currently going through the Divergent trilogy.

Saw the movie knowing it was based on a book, thought the movie was average, but set up nicely to the next film making me keen, but I felt like getting the book.

I'd give book 1 a 6/10
Book 2 an 8/10
But my god, book 3 is boring me shitless, Thankgod for a little mid-book action to bring it up to a 3/10, because before it, I was going 1/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back