The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Started Gravity's Rainbow. Until recently, I knew nothing about Pynchon except that he wears a paper bag donning a ? over his head for public appearances, but now I know he is also the keeper of every banana recipe ever made.
Great book that Gravity's Rainbow.

Recently read Nabokov's Pale Fire, which would be among my favourites now. Been meaning to give it a go for a couple years now, was glad to see it met expectations.

Currently tucking into Balzac's Old Man Goriot.
Both good books. And also two of the most impressive writers in my view. Don't read something 'run of the mill' after those two or the writing will seriously pale in comparison.

Used to love John Marsden when I was younger, been re reading some of his books (Checkers, Letters From the Inside etc)- came across the book "Dear Miffy" and finished that the other day.

Has anyone read this?? Geeze Marsden's books are one giant mind **** full of a lot of pretty depressing topics. Still loved it tho.

If I read The Tomorrow sereis again now would they be rubbish?

I think I remember reading somewhere that Marsden himself had struggled a lot with depression when he was younger, maybe that comes through a little in his writing.

On the Tomorrow series, I remember it mostly as readable all the way through, but certainly one of diminishing returns. The first 2 I read in a couple days, next few were good, barely remember the last one or two. And the first two books were mainly so readable because of the newness factor, and the building romance between Ellie and Lee.

The only memory I have of the last few books is that house they stayed at for a long period, and that Ellie was on her own towards the conclusion. Still remember the pre-NZ ones quite well though.

I think most of us that read it in our teens certainly have some nostalgia associated with it though. It would probably be quite a trip if I were to revisit it again in 20 years or something, it was a very compulsively readable series when it gets its hook into you. It was an epic franchise with everything, but still highly relatable and close to home, which is a rare thing for the young adult reader.

Last edited:
If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell

Not bad, not hilariously funny but an easy read with a few laughs and its interesting enough hearing how he's built a career even though he was never likely to get the lead in a James Cameron Blockbuster. Add a few stars if you're a fan of the Evil Dead series.

Just finished "The Girl With All The Gifts".

Not your average zombie story, recommended.

The_Girl_with_All_the_Gifts.jpg
Thanks for the recommendation. Absolutely loved it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me know how you go with this- I bought it on the recommendation of the owner of my local bookshop - she loved it and is usually spot on with my "likes". I haven't started it yet, though.
Not his best but definitely a page turner.
Every night I would pick it up expecting to read for half an hour or so and I'd still be going two hours later.

I haven't read any other books of his, so won't be critically comparing :) Thanks- I might move it up the order on my list of "to read" books. ;)

Well worth it. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas will always be my favorite Nazi era novel but this isn't bad.

He loosely based it on his own family history.

Stark, Dead Famous and High Society are also worth a read.

The Grapes of Wrath- John Steinbeck.

I only read this for the first time last month - I'd read other works by Steinbeck, (Cannery Row, Sweet Thursday, In Dubious Battle, Of Mice and Men) but for whatever reason I hadn't gotten around to reading what I guess is considered one of his greatest..

Read the whole thing in a couple of days, and initially before reading I didn't even really know what the book was about, but realised early on how it was likely to turn out based on the plot of In Dubious Battle - The book has stuck with me since and only last night watched the 1940 film adaption for the first time too -

Obviously wasn't surprised that the final scene of the book was cut from the film, but a little dissapointed that the film changed the order of events to make it seem like the Joads had probably dealt with the 'worst of it' - but then again this was 1940 and it would be interesting to know whether or not critics at the time considered the movie 'too left' or 'red sympathising', despite my own bias feeling as though the movie probably went to the conservative side of Steinbeck's story.

---------------------------------------------

anyway, the book I am reading now is Coming Up for Air by George Orwell. It actually arrived in the mail last Friday from an anonymous source... Addressed to me, but no note and no return address anywhere... A rather curious event to occur, I have my suspect and despite denials from them, I still think they sent it... for some reason.. ? o_O

I only read this for the first time last month - I'd read other works by Steinbeck, (Cannery Row, Sweet Thursday, In Dubious Battle, Of Mice and Men) but for whatever reason I hadn't gotten around to reading what I guess is considered one of his greatest..

Read the whole thing in a couple of days, and initially before reading I didn't even really know what the book was about, but realised early on how it was likely to turn out based on the plot of In Dubious Battle - The book has stuck with me since and only last night watched the 1940 film adaption for the first time too -

Obviously wasn't surprised that the final scene of the book was cut from the film, but a little dissapointed that the film changed the order of events to make it seem like the Joads had probably dealt with the 'worst of it' - but then again this was 1940 and it would be interesting to know whether or not critics at the time considered the movie 'too left' or 'red sympathising', despite my own bias feeling as though the movie probably went to the conservative side of Steinbeck's story.

anyway, the book I am reading now is Coming Up for Air by George Orwell. It actually arrived in the mail last Friday from an anonymous source... Addressed to me, but no note and no return address anywhere... A rather curious event to occur, I have my suspect and despite denials from them, I still think they sent it... for some reason.. ? o_O
I haven't seen the movie so can't judge that but really enjoyed the novel.

Sort of like you wrote, I had no idea what the book was about other than the fact it was set in the Great Depression. Took me a while to read but I think that was because I was savouring it. As far as it being considered Steinbeck's best, the only other one I've read is Of Mice and Men and personally think I enjoyed that even more. But on a whole I love those kind of rural, working man, down and out like novels.

Last edited:

After only reading Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath. What would you suggest be the best Steinbeck book to recommend I read?

Cannery Row was the first Steinbeck that I read - I still think it's my favourite but I don't know if I'm being sentimental about it - I haven't re-read it for a long time, but the characters he developed were great -

Remove this Banner Ad

Back