The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Cannery Row was the first Steinbeck that I read - I still think it's my favourite but I don't know if I'm being sentimental about it - I haven't re-read it for a long time, but the characters he developed were great -
Thanks. Cannery Row looks good from the description.

I am on book eight for the second time. Brilliant stuff. Second only to Tolkien for me.

I'm finding it interesting. Only 2 or 3 chapters in and trying to get a hold of where all the characters sit in terms of good, bad or somewhere in between.

I'm finding it interesting. Only 2 or 3 chapters in and trying to get a hold of where all the characters sit in terms of good, bad or somewhere in between.
Definitely the point, especially with the 'gods'.

Currently reading Pharmako Poeia: Power Plants, Poisons and Herbcraft by Dale Pendell. Part of a trilogy he wrote, it's a weird amalgam of 'scientific' research and Pendell's poetics. The research of course revolving around psychoactive plant-based drugs. You would be silly to take it TOO seriously, but it's pretty fun. Particularly enjoy the relationships he describes between contexts and the resultant effect of the drug on that context. ie, for 'Cannabis Sativa', the correspondences are as such.

Form of Energy - Biomass
Grammar - Language of birds
Discipline - Music
Crutch for - Statis
Archetype - Jester

Get into it Gough

2w2l

Senior List
Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I AM READING GOOD BOOKS RIGHT NOW-
The Crying of Lot 49 by that post-modern person with a name like "Python"
Got a chapter to go in "HOW MUSIC WORKS" written by God aka David Byrne from the greatest bad ever * yeah.

Got CONFEDEREACY OF DUNCES lined up next.

2w2l

Senior List
Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Started Gravity's Rainbow. Until recently, I knew nothing about Pynchon except that he wears a paper bag donning a ? over his head for public appearances, but now I know he is also the keeper of every banana recipe ever made.
I've carried this book to like so many countries and never opened the first page :( but I'm reading a Pynchon now :)

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
All The Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy.

Fantastic start, Blood Meridian a top five book of mine, but the flavour here is something altogether different.
The atmosphere in the beginning of All The Pretty Horses is immense. Great book.

I know most people say Blood Meridian or The Road, but All the Pretty Horses is probably my favourite of McCarthy's books. Gorgeous.
Can't imagine The Road standing up to either so far tbh

So i was waiting to get AFTER THE FEAST ( last Game of Thrones book ) and was given AMERICAN PSYCHO to read.

:eek:

I don't know if it says something about me personally or whether it's the authors whole point , but towards the end i found myself skipping all the inane banter with his workmates and just read the murders.

As in , Patricks " everyday " life was just 1 long boring irrelevant conversation with his workmates and he was only truly " alive " when killing ?? ( shrugs )
If that's what the author was getting at then well played.

Won't ever read again.

Back