Opinion The 8 - still tough to reach

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if Collingwood beat us they could easily go 2-3 in their last 5, with games v Port, Hawks and WCE in Perth, leaving them on 12 wins.

Also Depends on how much of a hole the Suns fall into. Their last 6 has Port, Ess, WCE and Carlton. None of those are gimmes. If they lose to Port and Ess and to one of either WCE and Carlton they also end up on 12.

Long way to go

Seriously we would be only a mathematical chance with 4 wins.
If we had 4 wins then we need Collingwood and GC to only win 3/6

Collingwood
Adelaide
Port
West Coast
Brisbane
GWS

Hawthorn

possible

GC
Brisbane
St Kilda
Carlton

Port
Essendon
WCE

They have an easier run, but may drop something unexpected without Gaz.

Lose to Collingwood and 4 would be unlikely to get us in though.

Annoying reading a fact in the rag this morning - we have not sat in the 8 since round 9 last year. P... Poor that is

Which is why SNEAKING IN TO 8TH! is deceptive and papers over some long-standing cracks.
I posted in another thread earlier with the statistics. Teams that finished 5-8 were equally likely to win a flag within the next 5 years as teams who finish 1-4.

Don't underestimate finals experience.

Port's 2 finals last year will be beneficial to them this year.

I posted in another thread earlier with the statistics. Teams that finished 5-8 were equally likely to win a flag within the next 5 years as teams who finish 1-4.

Don't underestimate finals experience.

Port's 2 finals last year will be beneficial to them this year.

Throw any stats you want, our last five years have been 11th, 12th, 3rd, 11th. And this year 8th-10th.

Hardly indicative of winning a premiership any time soon, and is unacceptable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our last five years have been 11th, 12th, 3rd, 11th. And this year 8th-10th.

Hardly indicative of winning a premiership any time soon.

But SNEAKING IN TO 8TH! is not indicative of not winning a flag soon either. The only team here not to have an 8-10 finish in their run to a flag is Sydney, and they had 4 5-8 finishes (which many point at as being pointless also-ran finishes) and a 12th.

2013 - Hawthorn - 1, 3, 7, 9, 2
2012 - Sydney - 7, 5, 12, 6, 7
2011 - Geelong - 2, 2, 1, 1, 10
2010 - Collingwood - 4, 8, 6, 5, 15
2009 - Geelong - 1, 1, 10, 6, 4
2008 - Hawthorn - 5, 11, 14, 15, 9
2007 - Geelong - 10, 6, 4, 12, 9
2006 - West Coast - 2, 7, 7, 8, 14
2005 - Sydney - 6, 4, 11, 7, 10

16/45 are minor round finishes of 5th-8th
15/45 finished outside of the 8, 5 of those grabbed a top 5 draft pick.
14/45 had top 4 finishes, but 4 of those were previous year's premierships.

But SNEAKING IN TO 8TH! is not indicative of not winning a flag soon either. The only team here not to have an 8-10 finish in their run to a flag is Sydney, and they had 4 5-8 finishes (which many point at as being pointless also-ran finishes) and a 12th.

2013 - Hawthorn - 1, 3, 7, 9, 2
2012 - Sydney - 7, 5, 12, 6, 7
2011 - Geelong - 2, 2, 1, 1, 10
2010 - Collingwood - 4, 8, 6, 5, 15
2009 - Geelong - 1, 1, 10, 6, 4
2008 - Hawthorn - 5, 11, 14, 15, 9
2007 - Geelong - 10, 6, 4, 12, 9
2006 - West Coast - 2, 7, 7, 8, 14
2005 - Sydney - 6, 4, 11, 7, 10

16/45 are minor round finishes of 5th-8th
15/45 finished outside of the 8, 5 of those grabbed a top 5 draft pick.
14/45 had top 4 finishes, but 4 of those were previous year's premierships.

Cheers for those figures.

What do you notice about the West Coast, Hawthorn and Collingwood premierships?

...and papers over some long-standing cracks.
This is rubbish. Few will look back on this season as a roaring success just because we make it to a finals match. We are all disappointed that we're not contending, because that's what we were told we would be doing at the start of the year.

But if you're faced with either making the finals, or not, you'd go with the former every day of the week. One extra place up the ladder and down the draft order won't make that much of a difference.

"Papering over the cracks" is such a negative view. It's basically saying you shouldn't hope for anything because we're objectively s**t. That sort of mentality destroys club culture and is entirely counterproductive to chasing a future premiership.

I noticed that they all snagged Top 3 draft picks.
Who else used top 3 picks in that time?

Collingwood 2010
Melbourne - 3
Carlton - 3
Richmond - 2
West Coast - 2
Fremantle - 1
Essendon - 1
Kangaroos - 1
Collingwood - 1
Hawthorn -

Hawthorn 2008
Carlton - 4
Richmond - 2
Hawthorn - 2
Western Bulldogs - 2
West Coast - 1
Essendon - 1
Kangaroos - 1
Collingwood - 1
Melbourne - 1

West Coast 2006
Hawthorn - 3

Carlton - 2
Western Bulldogs - 2
St Kilda - 2
Collingwood - 1
Richmond - 1
Melbourne - 1
North Melbourne - 1
Brisbane - 1
West Coast - 1

So in your opinion, we need to be aiming for 16-18?

No. But when faced with the scenario of us needing to win 5 out of our last 6 to merely sneak in to 8th, and picking blokes like Porplyzia, Rutten, Martin and Reilly, it is the wrong way to go about it.

If we make the 8 with M Crouch, L Thompson/Hartigan, Lyons and Cameron playing then that's fine. I see no point in sneaking in an irrelevant 8th with older players in our team. I would rather finish 15th with young guys playing.

As I posted before, since 2007 we have finished 8th, 8th, 6th, 11th, 12th, 3rd, 11th. And this year 8th-10th. I have had a gutful of the mediocrity that we stand for.

Don't get me wrong, for a long time I advocated the "keep pushing for 8th" attitude. But I'm done. I want a bloody premiership.

This is rubbish. Few will look back on this season as a roaring success just because we make it to a finals match. We are all disappointed that we're not contending, because that's what we were told we would be doing at the start of the year.

But if you're faced with either making the finals, or not, you'd go with the former every day of the week. One extra place up the ladder and down the draft order won't make that much of a difference.

"Papering over the cracks" is such a negative view. It's basically saying you shouldn't hope for anything because we're objectively s**t. That sort of mentality destroys club culture and is entirely counterproductive to chasing a future premiership.

Papering over cracks is an absolute reality of what we have been doing for years.

Who else used top 3 picks in that time?

Collingwood 2010
Melbourne - 3
Carlton - 3
Richmond - 2
West Coast - 2
Fremantle - 1
Essendon - 1
Kangaroos - 1
Collingwood - 1
Hawthorn -

Hawthorn 2008
Carlton - 4
Richmond - 2
Hawthorn - 2
Western Bulldogs - 2
West Coast - 1
Essendon - 1
Kangaroos - 1
Collingwood - 1
Melbourne - 1

West Coast 2006
Hawthorn - 3

Carlton - 2
Western Bulldogs - 2
St Kilda - 2
Collingwood - 1
Richmond - 1
Melbourne - 1
North Melbourne - 1
Brisbane - 1
West Coast - 1

Well of course lots of other clubs had Top 3 picks. We haven't had one and we're typically competitive. Imagine if we had a couple.

If we make the 8 with M Crouch, L Thompson/Hartigan, Lyons and Cameron playing then that's fine. I see no point in sneaking in an irrelevant 8th with older players in our team. I would rather finish 15th with young guys playing.

Would you rather finish 12th playing kids that can't break into the side on their own, or keep a few senior players in and give the top kids that are making the first 22 some valuable finals experience?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back