The A-League - how big can it get?

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, I just can't fathom the concept of being a 'eurosnob' - seems absolutely ridiculous. If you love the Euro leagues (or even just the sport in general), why would you not want to see the game improve and flourish locally?

Yes the standard and stature of the A League may likely never get close to those of the best leagues in the world but why should that be an issue or something to look down upon for some?

At the end of the day, aren't we all meant to be fans of the sport?

The problem is europe is where the best players are. The Aleague is to the UEFA teams what the VFL is to AFL teams. Theres a reason the VFL isnt big.

It depends what supporters are after, most A-league fans also support teams in Europe, but the key difference is that the A-league is live sport whereas the European leagues are only televised. Its also complicated because the A-league is much more closely aligned to the national team/Australian players, which is also a distinction from the VFL set up.

You do have a point though, there is a big disconnect between soccer fans and fans of the A-league and the FFA is slowly trying to bridge that.

The problem is europe is where the best players are. The Aleague is to the UEFA teams what the VFL is to AFL teams. Theres a reason the VFL isnt big.

Yep, its a valid and fair point Wookie - I think due to that has helped create the concept of 'euro snobs' which are fairly prevalent on social media and even on BigFooty sadly.

Sure the product here isn't near or likely to ever get on par with the best leagues in the world but as RedAlert suggested, it comes down to what you want from the game. For me, its a sustainable national competition that can help improve the national side as well as growing the popularity of the code in Australia. While I do have an A League side I follow and support, I'd say my interest and affection for the club is not as strong as my supported European side but by having a local side I follow, I can go to live matches where the matchday experience is infinitely better than watching on TV or a computer (IMO).

The game is slowly chipping away at that divide I believe - I think by increasingly having the big and popular sides from Europe coming here to play preseason games or friendlies against A League sides, it will potentially help bring fans of the Euro leagues to the A League - as well as raising the competition's reputation abroad.

At the end of the day, I'm just a fan of the code and want to see it flourish here in Australia (as well as globally too). I'd imagine it would be similar to say AFL fans (which I also count myself as). There may be some who only follow an AFL side and have little interest outside of the national comp whilst others who have amateur/state league sides they follow keenly. Then you might have people who are avidly interested in things like the growth and expansion of the game overseas. You would reasonably think even where there are Aussie rules competitions overseas, those competitions will never get to the same level as the AFL - and that is fine as the point is growth and expanding the game in a new market. It all comes down to what is trying to be achieved.

Last edited:

Forgot to post this over the weekend - another development on the potential expansion of the A League to incorporate teams from Asia...

From the article - here are most of the important bits. Interesting to see 7 of the current club owners would support a push to allow Asian expansion sides.

CEO David Gallop confirmed to The World Game this week that the governing body was not interested in courting teams from the likes of Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia or Hong Kong.

A team of UK-based consultants, led by influential English agent Jon Smith, has been working on the project for four months after being enlisted by Central Coast Mariners owner Mike Charlesworth to canvass the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), FIFA and FFA on the viability of expanding into the region.

Initial discussions with Gallop in Sydney in November were followed up by lengthy talks with AFC officials in Bahrain earlier this month and then FIFA representatives in Zurich last week.

The plan is supported by Brisbane Roar, Newcastle Jets, Adelaide United, Perth Glory, Western Sydney Wanderers and the City Football Group, which controls Melbourne City.

But, despite what Charlesworth says is positive feedback from both the Asian and world governing bodies, FFA's preference appears to be to keep A-League expansion within Australia ahead of the next TV deal in 2017.

Charlesworth, who received official confirmation from Gallop this week that the idea is a non-starter from FFA’s perspective, insisted it’s a mistake not to embrace a populous continent which he believes would bring added value to the competition.

"There’s probably a glass ceiling for growth of the A-League right now, or at least to a level that’s needed to compete successfully with the other football codes," Charlesworth said.

"Expansion north can tap into tens of millions of football fans, significant commercial opportunity and subsequently a raft of top EPL marquee players who have already expressed an interest in helping grow football across the region.

"If we truly want football to become the biggest sport in Australia we need to be more ambitious and this platform would not only help us achieve that but put domestic Aussie football on the global stage.

"I think we need to be less insular in our approach. The FFA's priority seems to be the national team ahead of the A-League."

"We can’t say we are part of the region and then do nothing other than paying lip service. We need to collaborate and cooperate … and if the interest is there from Asian entrepreneurs who perhaps want to improve their standards by playing week-in week-out in what I think is a strong competition, we should do it.

"We should lose this defensive mentality that the A-League is only about building up Australian football … because it’s not.

"It’s about creating the best possible league we can and a return on the investment from the owners who have put in significant sums.

"If we can increase the popularity of the competition, get a better TV deal, that’s more important to me than the view that we would in some way be strengthening say Singapore by letting them in. That argument is nonsensical, and I reject it."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/arti...ads-clubs-after-quashing-asian-expansion-plan

Looks like it could be developing into a bit of a saga...

Not sure where I sit on the issue - Ideally, I'd prefer seeing Australian based sides joining the league (especially if there are strong contenders already pushing for entry such as Wollongong, Geelong, the Fury, Canberra etc).

But...if there are commercial benefits that can help grow the game, I think its worth investigating (rather than being shot down completely by the FFA), especially if FIFA, the AFC and club owners are all open to the idea.

I'd love to see the investors/owners who stumped up big money to help launch the league get some money back - think I read most of them have made big losses and won't make a financial return on their investments.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...r-rejecting-plan/story-e6frf4gl-1227288078430

best players only play in a handful of european leagues, yet all other leagues, from all other european countries which don't have the best players get great crowds. your analogy really doesn't work.

best players only play in a handful of european leagues, yet all other leagues, from all other european countries which don't have the best players get great crowds. your analogy really doesn't work.
All other leagues around Europe don't have to compete with AFL which is the No 1 sport in this country. Many parts of Europe are crazy about soccer and will watch all types of leagues as its the only sport they know. Australia isn't as passionate about the game of soccer and has other sports that take our interest so its a different demographic. Also take into account the cost of going to an A league game is more expensive than an AFL game which is ridiculous as your watching a brand of soccer that is not of great standard and shouldn't be priced that way

All other leagues around Europe don't have to compete with AFL which is the No 1 sport in this country. Many parts of Europe are crazy about soccer and will watch all types of leagues as its the only sport they know. Australia isn't as passionate about the game of soccer and has other sports that take our interest so its a different demographic. Also take into account the cost of going to an A league game is more expensive than an AFL game which is ridiculous as your watching a brand of soccer that is not of great standard and shouldn't be priced that way

I think GA is about the some price as an AFL match $25 not to sure about the full premium seating I know at AAMI the highest end is about $50, while at Etihad for the footy it's around $60 for premium seating. But yeah I think GA should be no more then $20 for an A-league match considering the standard.

I think GA is about the some price as an AFL match $25 not to sure about the full premium seating I know at AAMI the highest end is about $50, while at Etihad for the footy it's around $60 for premium seating. But yeah I think GA should be no more then $20 for an A-league match considering the standard.
Over $30 GA for Adelaide United last time I checked. Outside of the Adelaide Oval match their crowds have been below par this year considering it has been relatively successful on field. Laughable that they would bump their prices up when they have a stadium 60% full for non Melbourne Victory games, What happened to the idea of growing the sport and the club itself? For neutrals trying to get into the sport it would feel strange paying that much to see guys on a field whose combined salary is probably less than a quarter of what you would see on the field at an AFL match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I'm wondering about is that if the FFA can have a hold on the MCG if the GF is a Melbourne derby, then why not just play it at the MCG regardless. Honestly Victory v Sydney FC would get a larger crowd than a Melbourne derby. If it was played at Etihad it would be a sellout, move it to MCG and they will get over 60,000. Essendon v Hawthorn couldn't get 60,000, A-League GF gets it and it is a massive slap in the face to the AFL.

If the FFA want to stick to the Sunday they have rocks in their heads. Imagine the press you get if they get 75,000. When July comes around you'll be seeing 90,000 at the MCG for each of 3 games, so we need to build it up now and then continue to ride the mid year wave and kick into 2015-16 season with a bang.

What I'm wondering about is that if the FFA can have a hold on the MCG if the GF is a Melbourne derby, then why not just play it at the MCG regardless. Honestly Victory v Sydney FC would get a larger crowd than a Melbourne derby. If it was played at Etihad it would be a sellout, move it to MCG and they will get over 60,000. Essendon v Hawthorn couldn't get 60,000, A-League GF gets it and it is a massive slap in the face to the AFL.

If the FFA want to stick to the Sunday they have rocks in their heads. Imagine the press you get if they get 75,000. When July comes around you'll be seeing 90,000 at the MCG for each of 3 games, so we need to build it up now and then continue to ride the mid year wave and kick into 2015-16 season with a bang.

Its about broadcast timing. The FFA wants a showcase that doesnt clash with the AFL/NRL Friday night broadcasts.

I think you're confusing the word honestly with the phrase 'in my completely misinformed opinion.'
No, I'll bet money it would be true. Sydney FC fans have shown in the past to be willing to travel to the show piece event. Expecting 20,000 would be the estimate everyone would put on it, Melbourne City don't have that drawing power, you'd be looking City bringing in maybe 10,000 fans tops.

No, I'll bet money it would be true. Sydney FC fans have shown in the past to be willing to travel to the show piece event. Expecting 20,000 would be the estimate everyone would put on it, Melbourne City don't have that drawing power, you'd be looking City bringing in maybe 10,000 fans tops.

Attendances this season.
Victory v City (Etihad) 43,729
Victory v City (Etihad) 40,042
City v Victory (AAMI) 26,372
Victory v Sydney (Etihad) 25,242
Sydney v Victory (Allianz) 21,242
Sydney v Victory (Allianz) 17,356

In a season where Sydney and Melbourne have been going head to head for the championship, while Melbourne City have been playing poorly in the bottom half of the table, I think it's fair to say that shows pretty conclusively the Melbourne derby is a bigger fixture than the 'big blue.' Ticket prices are also a lot more expensive for the Melbourne derby and City members even have to pay (albeit a small fee) to get a seat at their home fixture.

The only previous grand final between Sydney and Melbourne had an attendance of 44,560. That's less than the Melbourne derby from last season during the league and only a few hundred more than the regular season match from this year.

Finally, you expect MORE Sydney fans to travel to Melbourne for this match than their average season attendance, but you expect LESS City fans to attend than they get on average to a regular season match? I'll stick with my initial assessment that you have no clue.

Or the alternate hypothesis, that Sydney do have 40,000 plastics that would arrive for a GF only as opposed to watching during the main season.

The league in general? Lets get it to 12 solid teams first before we trying further international expansion. My first choices would be to Queensland (a non Brisbane side essentially, playing on the Gold Coast, Townsville etc...) and Wollongong first, with further expansion to follow when the time is right.

Saw this yesterday (just before the FFA announced its 20 year vision) - seems that they won't be considering adding promotion/relegation to the league in the near future. IMO, think that's a good thing too.

"The financial risks of placing uncertainty around existing clubs has ruled out the A-League adopting the required format of the Asian Football Confederation and for that matter, most of the world in moving towards a promotion and relegation structure.

A more fluid structure involving two national tiers of football has long been the hope of most rusted-on fans in Australia, but the commercial realities of football have essentially scrapped that possibility.

The semi-unification of the state federations to create the National Premier League and the establishment of the FFA Cup were seen by some as the first steps in creating a national second tier to the A-League and while that might be the case, there will be pathways between the two in the next 20 years.

There is a fear that the financial viability of the A-League could be compromised if the top tier of Australian football is composed of teams with little strategic placement and on football merit alone, with little reflection on market forces."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...ion-in-future-of-aleague-20150504-ggtwdy.html

In terms of expansion, it seems the FFA will be focusing on Sydney (South and South West Sydney) as well as Brisbane as the next places to get A League sides; with Canberra, Wollongong and Gold Coast also possibilities.

"Already, southern Sydney, south-west Sydney and Brisbane are earmarked as the next in line to receive A-League clubs when the competition expands to a 12-team league no sooner than 2017.

Depending on the FFA's definition of regions, such a statement may bode well for potential bids from the Greater Illawarra and Canberra-Queanbeyan in future years as well as a possible return to the Gold Coast.

Greater Canberra, as well as Wollongong and its surrounding regions, are expected to have populations in excess of the FFA's minimum requirements which may also cast some doubt on the long-term viability of Central Coast Mariners and Wellington Phoenix."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...en-time-is-right/story-fnii0fc3-1227337698203

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...ion-in-future-of-aleague-20150504-ggtwdy.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back