The A-League - how big can it get?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we need to start developing our own club academies, the 10 clubs at the moment is probably representative of the level of talent available. Once we get some decent academies up and running it will increase the pool from which clubs can recruit from. If there is an outstanding club that is providing youth they should be rewarded as current laws dictate.

The media should be a big driver of the game as well, free to air games is a must. Not just live matches but at least one football show a week that covers more than just A-League. Think a wrap up of all the major European leagues and the Australians playing in them.

There are some great rivalry's with Victory vs Sydney/Adelaide/City (vice versa). Sydney vs WSW and hopefully more will eventuate. I think another club from NZ would create a great local rivalry there and either a team from ACT or TAS is warranted.

The FFA Cup will create the conduit to connect the amateur/semi-pro to professional and can not be underestimated in the value it adds to the sport. May be a bit biased but Victory back in the ACL will hopefully drive the game in the media in Victoria and people may realise how big a deal it is (WSW didn't get the credit they deserved imo).

I think the veterans list that the FFA are completing is great, loyalty is something that needs to be promoted in the league that really is lacking at present. i would also like to see an Asian marquee spot available.

I think we need to start developing our own club academies, the 10 clubs at the moment is probably representative of the level of talent available. Once we get some decent academies up and running it will increase the pool from which clubs can recruit from. If there is an outstanding club that is providing youth they should be rewarded as current laws dictate.

The media should be a big driver of the game as well, free to air games is a must. Not just live matches but at least one football show a week that covers more than just A-League. Think a wrap up of all the major European leagues and the Australians playing in them.

There are some great rivalry's with Victory vs Sydney/Adelaide/City (vice versa). Sydney vs WSW and hopefully more will eventuate. I think another club from NZ would create a great local rivalry there and either a team from ACT or TAS is warranted.

The FFA Cup will create the conduit to connect the amateur/semi-pro to professional and can not be underestimated in the value it adds to the sport. May be a bit biased but Victory back in the ACL will hopefully drive the game in the media in Victoria and people may realise how big a deal it is (WSW didn't get the credit they deserved imo).

I think the veterans list that the FFA are completing is great, loyalty is something that needs to be promoted in the league that really is lacking at present. i would also like to see an Asian marquee spot available.

agree with most of your post.

In terms of marquees I would like to see the Australian marquee changed to an aus/asian marquee we do have a lack of Aussie marquees at present imo and we should encourage more Asians to our league just look what Ono did for WSW and the league, the potential is there for the right fit and the right $$$.

If by club academies, you mean expanding the youth focus/teams of A League clubs, I reckon that would be a great idea too. (Kind of what the youth League tries to do but maybe by involving promising juniors at a younger age/more towards grassroot levels). Obviously would need to improve the football curriculum for youth coaches to help develop and nurture that talent but getting them started earlier can only help surely.

Not just the A League though, I think state league clubs and even local clubs would need to play their part in helping develop/providing better development and coaching to young players. Can't recall exactly but IIRC, I think the FFA's 'Whole of Football' plan had some long term goal relating to junior development.

Perhaps a worry is that Brisbane's NPL (youth team) side is under a big cloud of uncertainty as the club's financial situation is making it difficult for them to continue operating it (apparently was the reason they forfeited 2 fixtures in July due to travel costs). Given we've only got 1 club in QLD at the minute and that the state has produced quite a bit of talent, it's pretty imperative the A League have a presence there IMO.

In the age of digital television, being on SBS2 rather than SBS1 shouldn't make a bee's dick of difference. For whatever stupid reason though, it does, so it's a shame to see the league 'demoted'. Go Victory.

wouldn't matter what channel it's aired on as long as David Basheer is commentating he'll keep putting the viewers to sleep!

In the age of digital television, being on SBS2 rather than SBS1 shouldn't make a bee's dick of difference. For whatever stupid reason though, it does, so it's a shame to see the league 'demoted'. Go Victory.
It matters. SBS One has a bigger casual audience.

How big can the A-League get? I would say perhaps marginally bigger than it is today, but not much more.

The only thing which could make a big difference, significantly increase interest from all quarters, is if some benefactor was willing to fund a big marquee for each club, along the lines of what we are currently seeing in the MLS, but that would cost a minimum of $3 mill per annum per marquee, or $30 million per annum in total - more than the current total salary cap - so for the time being it looks a little bit unattainable.

It's always going to have the same issue as Basketball in Australia. Huge participation rates as sports which don't translate into actual paying and supporting customers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There goes any live sport besides AFL NRL AND ANZ Championship.

Personally love live sport.

I've played basketball for 35+ years, however I think I've been to one NBL game.

I've followed my English soccer team for the same period of time yet had zero interest in local matches.

I think my experiences would be quite common among fans of both sports.

I've played basketball for 35+ years, however I think I've been to one NBL game.

I've followed my English soccer team for the same period of time yet had zero interest in local matches.

I think my experiences would be quite common among fans of both sports.

I would agree common but not the majority (soccer even names them as eurosnobs).

But as said i dont like just watching on tv. Nothing like seeing sport live.

I would agree common but not the majority (soccer even names them as eurosnobs).

But as said i dont like just watching on tv. Nothing like seeing sport live.

I prefer an AFL crowd to a soccer one.

There's always been a try hardness to soccer crowds in this country. And I think the style of soccer crowds does turn a certain amount of people off going to watch it imo.

The rbb and victory crowd have tarnished the aleague crowds. On the whole they are just as safe as the other major codes.

Not just about safety though, I don't think everyone loves the whole transposed singing aspect of the game either. Not my cup of tea to have them banging on during the game. We don't do it for other sports so I'm not sure why we're trying to be like other fans O/S and copy it.

How big can the A-League get? I would say perhaps marginally bigger than it is today, but not much more.

The only thing which could make a big difference, significantly increase interest from all quarters, is if some benefactor was willing to fund a big marquee for each club, along the lines of what we are currently seeing in the MLS, but that would cost a minimum of $3 mill per annum per marquee, or $30 million per annum in total - more than the current total salary cap - so for the time being it looks a little bit unattainable.

That's a typical eurosnob view of the league.

It doesn't need world class marquees at every club to improve the standard of the league in fact I would argue it will set the development of clubs back.

Melbourne Victory and Brisbane Roar for instance has shown you don't need world class players to win and play attractive football or even bring in the crowds.

Apart from Yorke in season one no other such marquee has brought anything to lift the standard of the league or won anything either and apart from the novelty of seeing the likes of Fowler, Delpiero, Villa etc it wears off dramatically after a few matches. Only thing that works is shirt sales and Facebook likes.

No need for Gimmicks, one or two marquees will be fine but it's best the league continues to develop technically and tactically then worry about how many has beens can suck up as much money to the detriment of the league.

Last edited:
Not just about safety though, I don't think everyone loves the whole transposed singing aspect of the game either. Not my cup of tea to have them banging on during the game. We don't do it for other sports so I'm not sure why we're trying to be like other fans O/S and copy it.
Yes and no. Atmosphere is great, while i enjoy "giants clap clap clap" the singing at aleague games provides a greater atmosphere. But ots all relative. I enjoy a top game of aussie rules more than soccer.

Get rid of finals for a start, American crap!
Soccer should always be first past the post, the best side over the season deserves the crowd. Ridiculous how we give away 2 trophies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back