Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 7, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know it's early. I know some of us haven't recovered from any of this. I know that probably the most trivial thing in the world to whinge about is cricket commentary.

But when I walk into the work kitchen on a Tuesday morning, the last thing I want to hear on the TV is the sound of Tim Gilbert climaxing to a QLD six. I get that it's the Matador BBQ Cup, in early October, at North Sydney Oval in a match between two away teams. The commentary B-team is to be expected. But you are seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel when Tim Gilbert is even considered to have anything to do with your cricket coverage.

Still onwards and upwards. The likes of Healy and Slats will be here before too long to ease us through the summer...

Please please please let Bill be up for calling most of the summer. Let Richie go out in whatever way he sees fit over the next year or two. Get Vaughan back out here asap and don't 'Channel 9ise' him. Give Tom Moody a decent run of matches this year instead of WA games only. Tell Slater that the microphone picks up his sfellowing even if his mouth isn't pressed up to it. Tell Healy and Chappelli that on air stories should contain at least some form of an interesting aspect. Let Nicco bring Slater back into line like I heard a couple of times last season. Just do some of those and I'll be as content as Tubby with an unopened pack of chewy. I won't hold my breath though.

So whinge away guys and girls, this summer is going to be a long one.

Op suggests tom moody to be given an extended run. Tom moody would be facing off with Danny Morrison as the worst commentator in world cricket.

Strangely, I'm finding myself not absolutely hating Andrew Symonds on commentary.....might just be me though

Op suggests tom moody to be given an extended run. Tom moody would be facing off with Danny Morrison as the worst commentator in world cricket.

Could very well be my disdain for the boys club that he doesn't seem to be a part of combined with a 'less is more' factor, but I've never had a problem with him. I'll see what he's like this year.

Strangely, I'm finding myself not absolutely hating Andrew Symonds on commentary.....might just be me though

Don't forget Dean Jones. His commentary during this Pakistan series is just atrocious.

Will there be any overseas commentators this year? You'd think this is the summer it'd be most likely for with the world cup.

Just seems like they've gone away from it a bit in the last 10/15 years. Vaughan, Bumble, that really heavy kiwi keeper - not a lot else lately that I can remember. Been a while since Holding.

Edit: Obviously excluding Nicholas and Greig

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst commentary in sport.

Will there be any overseas commentators this year? You'd think this is the summer it'd be most likely for with the world cup.

Just seems like they've gone away from it a bit in the last 10/15 years. Vaughan, Bumble, that really heavy kiwi keeper - not a lot else lately that I can remember. Been a while since Holding.

No, Asians are too 'ethnic' for Nine.

I actually thought ganguly did a very good job when india were in england.

He actually took his job seriously with in depth answers to questions he was asked by other comm's so thats probably not what the nine clowns are looking for.

Last edited:
What about Michael Holding ? Is he still about. Takes me about hour to tune into him and then I'm only just getting the vibe.
He's still commentating on Sky, but AFAIC he was pretty awful during the Ashes over there.

Pretty much everybody loves Roy in the box; you're not alone at all.
Yeah, I'm surprised. Has the trick of only saying what has to be said, rather than saying a lot of BS like most of the 9 guys.

McNamara is a tool though. Don't really have much of an opinion on the local commentators.

Poor old Chappelli had a shocker over the weekend at the Vic-NSW match. He was stuck on the first shift and pretty much had to do the first hour almost solo (I think he had Stuart Clark? as his number 2 - not much good) and he had pretty much exhausted his supply of anecdotes by about over number 6. It was the usual boring one-dayer, and it's a tough gig - but it wasn't his Finest Hour.

Could very well be my disdain for the boys club that he doesn't seem to be a part of combined with a 'less is more' factor, but I've never had a problem with him. I'll see what he's like this year.

Yeh fair enough. I've just always found him to rehash basic cliches and generally having the personality of a brick wall.

I've been super impressed by Symonds and Ryan Harris during the Matador Cup fixtures, less so by the likes of Stuart Clark and Tom Moody. And I won't even begin to detail my dislike for Brad McNamara.

I actually thought ganguly did a very good job when india were in england.

He actually took his job seriously with in depth answers to questions he was asked by other comm's so thats probably not what the nine clowns are looking for.

He was very good. A bright, articulate man who thinks seriously about the game. He won't be welcome AT ALL.

I hope they get Ganguly in this year, didn't care much for him as a player but his commentary is great. His passive but constant baiting of Harsha Bogle and Nassar Hussain was gold in the English summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back