Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

I dislike T20Is but enjoy the Big Bash. The commentary is crap most of the time, so I just mute it. Who gives a s**t about the colorful uniforms? You don't watch cricket to see what the uniforms look like. The stumps lighting up, it is quite helpful for the third umpire making quick decisions and the viewer barely notices them (well I don't).

Test match cricket is the only true cricket and all viewers of it will think that. But the short formats and tournaments are great for people getting into cricket, or have short attention spans

In the T20, why do they call Mark Waugh "June"? I get "Junior" and the reason for it but is it that difficult to pronounce that they have decided to shorten it, basically giving his nickname its own nickname? Also, since when is Ricky Ponting known as "Rick"? I get Ricky or "Punter", but until the T20 I've never heard him referred to as "Rick"?

The thing that pisses me off the most about the big bash is the team names. Hurricanes? Really? It seems like the whole competition has some kind of inferiority complex and wants to look as american as possible. The only appeal it has to me is getting to see retired players like Michael Hussey, Brett Lee and Flintoff in the spotlight again.

But on the commentary, it would be fine if they didn't have to have the non cricketing hack in the box at all times. Why does it seem to never be three ex-cricketers? It's always two and then some guy?

But on the commentary, it would be fine if they didn't have to have the non cricketing hack in the box at all times. Why does it seem to never be three ex-cricketers? It's always two and then some guy?
I havent watched the BBL so not sure if its the case but I disagree in general on the ex-players versus professionals in the commentary team. Personally think we have too many players getting a easy job after they finish and they make crap commentators. They might have technical input but that does not make them good commentators. I'd say sport in general needs more non-players (or played at a reasonable level) in the box who can be a proper host/commentator. Use the ex-players as special comments types only.

To be fair I think the cricketers would just waffle on, having 'some other guy' there acting as host makes sense, his role is to ask questions of the professional cricketers and keep the discussions on track.

In the T20, why do they call Mark Waugh "June"? I get "Junior" and the reason for it but is it that difficult to pronounce that they have decided to shorten it, basically giving his nickname its own nickname? Also, since when is Ricky Ponting known as "Rick"? I get Ricky or "Punter", but until the T20 I've never heard him referred to as "Rick"?

You answered all your own obvious questions.

I havent watched the BBL so not sure if its the case but I disagree in general on the ex-players versus professionals in the commentary team. Personally think we have too many players getting a easy job after they finish and they make crap commentators. They might have technical input but that does not make them good commentators. I'd say sport in general needs more non-players (or played at a reasonable level) in the box who can be a proper host/commentator. Use the ex-players as special comments types only.
It'd be fine if they were quality commentators, but when it's Andy Maher who's not paticularly good at commentating, and also can't offer any insights as an ex-player, why is he there? I'd agree that more non-players who were good at calling the game would be a good thing, but given the kind of personalities nine has been hiring and persisting with, I don't have any confidence in them to hire anyone competent. Nine would probably put ex-Big Brother contestants in the box if they thought it'd be more marketable than ex-cricketers.

It'd be fine if they were quality commentators, but when it's Andy Maher who's not paticularly good at commentating, and also can't offer any insights as an ex-player, why is he there? I'd agree that more non-players who were good at calling the game would be a good thing, but given the kind of personalities nine has been hiring and persisting with, I don't have any confidence in them to hire anyone competent. Nine would probably put ex-Big Brother contestants in the box if they thought it'd be more marketable than ex-cricketers.
+1

Hate how the two commentators are having a cricket discussion and then all Andy has to say is "That's the end of (bowler's name)'s over, its (score) at the (over number) mark

Yeah understandable when you put it that way. Andy Maher isnt much chop at all. But as drummond2fevola said above you need that professional host there. That's why I generally like Mark Nicholas he can hold it together.

I would have thought there would be quite a few guys around on the radio and the like who could do a great job but yes channel 9 and the boys club don't see them as fashionable

Yeah understandable when you put it that way. Andy Maher isnt much chop at all. But as drummond2fevola said above you need that professional host there. That's why I generally like Mark Nicholas he can hold it together.

I would have thought there would be quite a few guys around on the radio and the like who could do a great job but yes channel 9 and the boys club don't see them as fashionable
Stephen Quartermain would be good to do that role instead on Andy Maher, but he can't because of his commitments to Ten Eyewitness News.

I agree, I don't mind Mark Nicholas, his commentary isn't brilliant (not the best but not the worst either), but he does a good job as host.

Ponting has gone through what is known as the "Rick transition".

See Ricky Barham and Ricky Nelson.

I actually find the chatter between Ponting and Waugh through the BBL (and Fleming/Gilchrist for that matter) to be quite enjoyable considering i much prefer the 4/5 day game. The T20 and BBL format is supposed to be entertaining and the commentary works for me. Channel 9's test commentary however...... :rolleyes:. Heals & Slats are one-eyed & painful, Brayshaw refers to everyone as "the champ", Ian Chappell is fine unless he is criticising the oppo captain (which happens EVERY time he is on and NEVER the aus one), Clarke has been a cheerleader in the box (penciling in ROgers for a double before play... jesus wept). I could go on but i am bordering on a rant :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish 9 would hire flintoff and Piertersen they would add more value in the box than slater healy and brayshaw combined
Flintoff I agree with. Not so sure about KP though as I think he'd be in danger of getting sucked into the same downward spiral of inanity that warne has.

It really scares me that the powers that be in FTA sports broadcasting must think that the general viewing public enjoy this constant dribble style of commentary and wall of noise from multiple voices. Scarier still is they might be right

Flintoff I agree with. Not so sure about KP though as I think he'd be in danger of getting sucked into the same downward spiral of inanity that warne has.

It really scares me that the powers that be in FTA sports broadcasting must think that the general viewing public enjoy this constant dribble style of commentary and wall of noise from multiple voices. Scarier still is they might be right

They usually back it up with 'yeah but people are still tuning in to us, so it must be great'.

Which is like saying you're really happy with the service you get from the Australian Tax Office because you keep going back every year. You have the same lack of choice with watching Test cricket.

They usually back it up with 'yeah but people are still tuning in to us, so it must be great'.

Which is like saying you're really happy with the service you get from the Australian Tax Office because you keep going back every year. You have the same lack of choice with watching Test cricket.

Correct. We watch the cricket despite the commentary not because of it. The same applies to the channel 7 footy coverage.

It's good to see a guy like Jarrod Kimber work his way up the ranks a bit from starting out as a blogger. Reckon he fits in very well to the ABC's broadcast.

Corbin Middlemas on the ABC had a similar start - remember hearing him doing the grade cricket wraps on SportFM about 10 years ago as a teenager, he worked his way up from there.

Corbin Middlemas on the ABC had a similar start - remember hearing him doing the grade cricket wraps on SportFM about 10 years ago as a teenager, he worked his way up from there.

Ben Cameron is the latest from sportFM to 'move up' in the ranks from the community station to a bigger audience with 6PR.

I really like Middlemass. I think he's an excellent caller of the footy and does a fine job as host. Reckon we'll be hearing from him for a long time on the ABC (hopefully).

Another Perth based radio host that I think is pretty good is Clint Wheeldon. I find a fair few people harbour a bit of resentment towards him because he was phased in during the time Glenn Mitchell's issues were manifesting. Has a good voice and is pretty knowledgeable about the broader sporting world so can't say I share the criticism.

I thought they may get him to do a small stint for the Sydney test. Even a half hour would be a nice little farewell. Obviously, he'd want to have to do it / be well enough to though.

I thought they may get him to do a small stint for the Sydney test. Even a half hour would be a nice little farewell. Obviously, he'd want to have to do it / be well enough to though.
He still seems quite ill, maybe next year if his recovery goes well enough.

I agree with you about KP. Good cricketer to watch, but he offered very little insight last night whilst out on the field. I recall once he was asked if they had a plan to dismiss Finch. KP says, "Of course we do". When asked what it was, the response was, "Bowl all sorts of balls to him". I felt dumber for having listened to that comment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back