Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

God tonight has made me realise how much I enjoyed the Big Bash coverage. The excitement seems way more natural on 10.
It's still manufactured on 10 though. They are clearly directed to do it.

And it is not cricket commentary. It's a party, with the required public orgasms for every six.

In fairness, it suits the dumbed down concept that is 20/20. :)

Mark Waugh is certainly Mr Neutral :p

I hate the bias at 9. It would be much more tolerable if it was balanced out with touring country commentators but unfortunately that privilege seems reserved for England and NZ.

We saw during the World Cup how much international commentators add to the coverage but yeah, why bother learning from that?

Mark Waugh is certainly Mr Neutral :p

I hate the bias at 9. It would be much more tolerable if it was balanced out with touring country commentators but unfortunately that privilege seems reserved for England and NZ.

We saw during the World Cup how much international commentators add to the coverage but yeah, why bother learning from that?
I'll give an example of why I can't handle 9.

There was a six early in the piece which could have possibly been caught by (I think) Richardson.

Taylor went on and on and on about it. About the only thing he didn't call in was forensic evidence.

For ****'s sake. It was a six. It could have been caught. Leave it at that.

I will only turn the volume up on cricket coverage in this country when Channel 9 (& 10 for that matter) give us the ambient sound option.

I'm not interested in listening to morons and hype.

It's still manufactured on 10 though. They are clearly directed to do it.

And it is not cricket commentary. It's a party, with the required public orgasms for every six.

In fairness, it suits the dumbed down concept that is 20/20. :)

I'd argue there was some pretty obvious good cricket commentary in their coverage - mainly from Punter. Predominantly there was the party atmosphere, you're right, but to me it seemed a lot more natural than what 9 produced tonight.

In any case I enjoy their coverage more, but that's just me.

I'd argue there was some pretty obvious good cricket commentary in their coverage - mainly from Punter. Predominantly there was the party atmosphere, you're right, but to me it seemed a lot more natural than what 9 produced tonight.

In any case I enjoy their coverage more, but that's just me.
I watched a double header this season. There was a game in Hobart, (where Ponting was), after that a game in Sydney.

The Sydney game had Flintoff, Howard and (I can't remember who the third guy was - Waugh?).

The Sydney game was like listening to three blokes at the pub watching the game on TV. What was actually happening on the field ran a long second to them talking about themselves.

As I said, it suits the concept - but surely the audience deserves better?

Last edited:
I'll give an example of why I can't handle 9.

There was a six early in the piece which could have possibly been caught by (I think) Richardson.

Taylor went on and on and on about it. About the only thing he didn't call in was forensic evidence.

For ****'s sake. It was a six. It could have been caught. Leave it at that.

I will only turn the volume up on cricket coverage in this country when Channel 9 (& 10 for that matter) give us the ambient sound option.

I'm not interested in listening to morons and hype.

Yup I think that's a really good point. When 9 do get around to a bit of analysis it's generally about almost trivial things like that that have happened and aren't part of a pattern that will change the match.

What I'd much prefer - and to be fair the more recently retired players like Hussey, Clarke, Ponting Pietersen etc are doing this pretty well - is to take me through what's happening right now and why it's happening. What are the captains thinking? Why are their these field settings for this batsman? Where is this batsman trying to score? What ball should the bowler bowl? This is where Warne has shone overseas in commentary and why it's so disappointing he's like what he is here.

That's the kind of thing I want to hear, not whether a players hands were facing the wrong way or that kind of thing. Mention it once during the first replay and then forget about it.

Last edited:
I watched a double header this season. There was a game in Hobart, (where Ponting was), after that a game in Sydney.

The Sydney game had Flintoff, Howard and (I can't remember who the third guy was - Waugh?).

The Sydney guy was like listening to three blokes at the pub watching the game on TV. What was actually happening on the field ran a long second to them talking about themselves.

Yeah I think Flintoff would be shocking if he was calling tests or one dayers. Doesn't add anything other than excitement which is fine for 20/20s but isn't really sustainable for the other formats.

He seems like a great bloke though and is probably helped enormously by the fact he's only here for a month a year.

I'll be in the minority here but I quite like Junior. He's horribly biased but I've grown quite fond of his arrogant bluntness towards things and he usually has a differing point of view to the other commentators which is a good thing to have.

He can easily get led to rubbish conversations though so it does not surprise me at all that him, Flintoff and Howard were talking absolute tripe. Stuff like that is really why I dislike 9 so I hope it's nipped in the bud at 10.

Yeah I think Flintoff would be shocking if he was calling tests or one dayers. Doesn't add anything other than excitement which is fine for 20/20s but isn't really sustainable for the other formats.

He seems like a great bloke though and is probably helped enormously by the fact he's only here for a month a year.

I'll be in the minority here but I quite like Junior. He's horribly biased but I've grown quite fond of his arrogant bluntness towards things and he usually has a differing point of view to the other commentators which is a good thing to have.

He can easily get led to rubbish conversations though so it does not surprise me at all that him, Flintoff and Howard were talking absolute tripe. Stuff like that is really why I dislike 9 so I hope it's nipped in the bud at 10.
Apologies. I should have said "Sydney game", not "Sydney guy".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Sydney guy was like listening to three blokes at the pub watching the game on TV. What was actually happening on the field ran a long second to them talking about themselves.

So much Australian commentary sounds like that. I mute nearly all of it now unless I know that Punter or Mike Hussey are on. They do appear to have a genuine interest in the game that is happening in front of them.

I am not at all the market for the middle-aged cheerleaders, ego maniacs and non-comedian noise polluters who litter most commentary teams.

So much Australian commentary sounds like that. I mute nearly all of it now unless I know that Punter or Mike Hussey are on. They do appear to have a genuine interest in the game that is happening in front of them.

I am not at all the market for the middle-aged cheerleaders, ego maniacs and non-comedian noise polluters who litter most commentary teams.

Such a good point. If a commentator is genuinely funny ala Kerry O'Keefe, you have a lot more leeway with how far you can stray from the cricket in your commentary. If you're not going to talk cricket, at least make me laugh. Unfortunately I can't think of another cricket commentator who falls into this category with the exception of Bumbles.

Even then though not everyone finds everyone funny so cricket should still be the absolute main focus.

Such a good point. If a commentator is genuinely funny ala Kerry O'Keefe, you have a lot more leeway with how far you can stray from the cricket in your commentary. If you're not going to talk cricket, at least make me laugh. Unfortunately I can't think of another cricket commentator who falls into this category with the exception of Bumbles.

Even then though not everyone finds everyone funny so cricket should still be the absolute main focus.
But even with someone like Bumbles, how many times do we need to be reminded that he got hit in the jatz crackers by Thommo at Perth in the 74/75 series?

(Not his fault that the media keeps trotting this out by the way).

It's tiresome.

I find the BBC TMS commentators funnier than anything I ever hear on any other feed/stream but mostly they just stick to commentating on the match.

I probably veer towards enjoying commentary that would be considered boring generally.

For all of the extremely deserved criticism (the barracking, lack of attention to detail and disrespect shown to the Indians was embarrassing), I thought Hussey was excellent tonight. Made a number of excellent points about field-placings, interaction between the captain and bowler regarding strategy and excellent insight into the Indian players that was lacking from the rest of the team.

Hussey, Lee and Ponting are a step ahead of most other commentators at the moment, having captained/coached (or in Lee's case, played a lot of) Twenty20 cricket, they add a lot more than the "woaaahhhh" "look at this man" "he needs to pitch it up" kinda nonsense we have become accustomed to. Even Dirk Nannes on the ABC speaks very well, as they understand that Twenty20 is a far different game that requires players and viewers to think differently.

I get the feeling the Big Bash commentary team are getting a bit full of themselves with all the success of the league this season. Hope I am wrong but when the jokes about the commentators is taking priority over what's going on in the field, it seems to appear that way.

That great resource known as Wikipedia begs to differ, as they offer a pronunciation that is as it is spelt, complete with recording, along with the Gujarati pronunciation and spelling, which comes afterwards. Are you Gujarati?

Its like the festival of Diwali - most north Indians pronounce it that way, my partner (who is Tamil) calls it Deepavali

The Sydney game was like listening to three blokes at the pub watching the game on TV. What was actually happening on the field ran a long second to them talking about themselves.

Sadly CA is all about marketing and little about crickey. Big Bash suits them to a t, doesn't require much to get people involved - plastic bat and a tennis ball and we all can be BBL heroes. Create a crowd of cricket bogans who munch down on KFC and turn up to games dressed as Ali G to sit on a plastic couch in the sun and drink piss and hey presto - you've got a winner! Forget about the game and its traditions

******* Brayshaw has reached the Dwayne Russell/Mark Ricciuto level of intolerability for me. Please * off back to North already, I can't take it any more.
This probably has already been discussed, but it's my first time in this thread because it's an issue that is really bugging me.

Can the commentators learn the Indian names correctly.
It's Sharm-ma, not Sham-ma
Shik-har Dha-wan, not Shick-er Darwin
It's Marn, not Man
Vir-rhat, not Vee-rat

FFS, we can say your names correctly.
Let's be honest, most of the commentators on 9 probably couldn't get the pronunciations right if they tried. It's really not a problem as long as they don't absolutely butcher it (that's mainly saved for Sri Lanka).
They why can't the commentators do the research

Hardik is also from Gujarat. Yet you laugh at seeing it.
Not sure what your point is- no one gets Berlin or Paris right either.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...ne-destroying-cricket-legacy?CMP=share_btn_tw
Great article, gives all of the bozos a touch up, Brayshaw comes off worst.

Cricket is about the story. A boundary isn’t important in the act, the ball being smashed or cracked or creamed or hammered. It’s what those runs mean in the context of an innings, what that innings means to a career, or to a total, or the total to the match, or the match to the series, or the series to the history of the rivalry, to records and their progression, to the wider game dating back to its inception. Everything in cricket is a thread in a wider tapestry, woven outward and forever, world without end, Amen.

When Misbah-ul-Haq matched the fastest Test century record against Australia in October 2014, Roar Radio caller Adam Collins launched into an impromptu song of praise. He took us from Misbah assuming the captaincy among the ruins of the 2010 spot-fixing scandal, through his slow and criticised rebuild and on to this joyous moment of vindication, catching the emotion and significance of the moment for his audience with a response that was detailed, meaningful and aptly turned.

In the Adelaide Test after a high-profile funeral, Steve Smith produced a moment of poetry, walking halfway to the boundary during his century celebration to salute the 408 painted large on the Oval turf. That footage will be forever twinned with Nine’s soundtrack, as Brayshaw mustered “I think he might be walking over to the number here to recognise Phillip Hughes and that’s… terrific stuff.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back