Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...ne-destroying-cricket-legacy?CMP=share_btn_tw
Great article, gives all of the bozos a touch up, Brayshaw comes off worst.

Cricket is about the story. A boundary isn’t important in the act, the ball being smashed or cracked or creamed or hammered. It’s what those runs mean in the context of an innings, what that innings means to a career, or to a total, or the total to the match, or the match to the series, or the series to the history of the rivalry, to records and their progression, to the wider game dating back to its inception. Everything in cricket is a thread in a wider tapestry, woven outward and forever, world without end, Amen.

When Misbah-ul-Haq matched the fastest Test century record against Australia in October 2014, Roar Radio caller Adam Collins launched into an impromptu song of praise. He took us from Misbah assuming the captaincy among the ruins of the 2010 spot-fixing scandal, through his slow and criticised rebuild and on to this joyous moment of vindication, catching the emotion and significance of the moment for his audience with a response that was detailed, meaningful and aptly turned.

In the Adelaide Test after a high-profile funeral, Steve Smith produced a moment of poetry, walking halfway to the boundary during his century celebration to salute the 408 painted large on the Oval turf. That footage will be forever twinned with Nine’s soundtrack, as Brayshaw mustered “I think he might be walking over to the number here to recognise Phillip Hughes and that’s… terrific stuff.”

I've read that article a few times now. Every line is spot on. And I still get a smile from the "Brayshaw has the emotion depth of a sock puppet in a button shortage" quip.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
So after watching some cricket clips on youtube, I've come to the conclusion that Michael Slater is a s**t commentator only around the Nein Reich. Whenever he isn't with that moron gang, he's a decent commentator.

Example 1 (1:25 onwards)

Example 2 (0:04 to 0:34)

Example 3 (ignoring the atrocious bowling/possible match fixing).

The final ball of the 2014 / 15 Final between the Sixer and Scorchers is a good example of this.
To be fair the fielder that threw to Henriques was Lumb wasn't?

It's still manufactured on 10 though. They are clearly directed to do it.

And it is not cricket commentary. It's a party, with the required public orgasms for every six.

In fairness, it suits the dumbed down concept that is 20/20. :)

agree with this. eventually ch 10 will match what we see on 9 now in terms of faux celebrations and excitement.

I'll be in the minority here but I quite like Junior. He's horribly biased but I've grown quite fond of his arrogant bluntness towards things and he usually has a differing point of view to the other commentators which is a good thing to have.

thing about june....hes from foxsports. i wonder if he's appointment to ch 10 has caused some jealousy or otherwise in the foxsports cricket ranks - s clark, julian..

Sadly CA is all about marketing and little about crickey. Big Bash suits them to a t, doesn't require much to get people involved - plastic bat and a tennis ball and we all can be BBL heroes. Create a crowd of cricket bogans who munch down on KFC and turn up to games dressed as Ali G to sit on a plastic couch in the sun and drink piss and hey presto - you've got a winner! Forget about the game and its traditions

i feel that CA and ch 9 deliberately enforce the s**t commentary upon the nation so more people turn off their tvs and attend game = revenue

CA were clever in that they saw cricket "dying". sure, avid cricket fans love test cricket, but ODIs have boring parts. t20 came along and then BANG WHOA WEEEEEEEEE big hits and 6s which is what people love to see. for families and kids, which is good i reckon.

t20 provides a party atmosphere which has its place in the sporting scene. its fun, and patrons can ark up all they want. hell, even if you're evicted you're a legend and just showing a bit of aussie larakinism (not like them ethnics at the soccer).

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
i feel that CA and ch 9 deliberately enforce the s**t commentary upon the nation so more people turn off their tvs and attend game = revenue

CA were clever in that they saw cricket "dying". sure, avid cricket fans love test cricket, but ODIs have boring parts. t20 came along and then BANG WHOA WEEEEEEEEE big hits and 6s which is what people love to see. for families and kids, which is good i reckon.

t20 provides a party atmosphere which has its place in the sporting scene. its fun, and patrons can ark up all they want. hell, even if you're evicted you're a legend and just showing a bit of aussie larakinism (not like them ethnics at the soccer).
I went to the ODI & BBL final - similar crowds - the ODI featured people in a dress up section - it was high 30's and there was a lad in an Ali G plastic tracksuit gyrating whenever the camera's went on him. Meanwhile the last home game of the Vic Shield season has been transferred to Alice Springs for commercial reasons - a little bit of me dies with each of these atrrocities against the game that I love

Found it a bit cringeworthy that they got Alyssa Healy in to talk about how great being miced up while batting is.
The majority of the Australia cricket public get influenced by what the commentators say. Haven't you seen the way the poll swings in favour of Australia when ever the topic comes up.

Back