Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was racism then every aboriginal player would be booed, nothing to do with his skin color, simple fact is he is getting booed cause he is a ********
What if racists are smart and don't boo every aboriginal player to hide the fact they are racists?

Top 4 team, surely in his position you'd be wanting to play finals in 5 weeks or whatever it is.

I would, but my feel is this wouldn't be the case if he was 25. Besides, retirement may not be the end of your career these days it seems. Should have a good two or three retirements left in a player before he's actually done. Retirement is more of a publicity stunt now. Maybe to try and swing a bit of curry in your favour...

Mark Williams is black. Goes against your arguement that people are booing because of race
No it doesn't. People aren't going "I hate Goodes because he's an aboriginal". They're booing because he's standing up for his people in a big, visible way.

It's not as simple as "because he's aboriginal".

Strange days. The AFL is encouraging players pretending to throw spears at the crowd yet trying to prohibit the crowd from booing them.

If it was racism then every aboriginal player would be booed, nothing to do with his skin color, simple fact is he is getting booed cause he is a ********
An Essendon fan was thrown out last year for racially abusing Goodes. He wasn't racially abusing Ryder, or Dempsey. Ergo in your eyes was it actually not racism?

Sydney can offer me a 12mth contract and opposition fans can boo me instead of Adam.

In saying that if it's affecting him to the stage where he is considering retirement or sitting out games, perhaps it is best that people put the boos to bed.

Adam is a champion of the game. Whilst I think that 99.99 pc of boos are directed at his previous dirty play and perceived umpires / tribunal pet, AOY and general attitude, I'm getting sick of reading about it in the media.

Goodsey has been a champion at highlighting indigenous issues. Let's build a bridge and move on in a spirit of reconciliation.

Honestly the Swans club has totally lost my respect

Fielders might say stuff in between balls and fair enough, bit different though to the thousands of people booing everytime you touch the ball.

Yeah, I can't speak to that given thousands of people haven't booed me, but I think a well placed or witty sledge can be a bit more effective than some people wind tunneling me. I'm all for creativity.

Dunno, ask me when it happens. History has shown that not everyone will opt for one course of action.
Most Australians would be pretty courageous in protecting our culture and way of life. We have shown that throughout our history.

That's all Adam is doing, standing up for the right of aboriginal people to live in a world without racist taunts.

I would have thought people would respect that.

Mark Williams is black. Goes against your arguement that people are booing because of race
The idea that it can't possibly be racist because not every indigenous player is booed is just ridiculous.

If I racially abuse one black man, but not all the other black men, it's OK? It can't be racist because I didn't abuse all of them, right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And was abused by opposition supporters and called a w***er for doing said goal celebration.
Not to Goodes levels, but rinse repeat argument about media influence and effect on player.

I would, but my feel is this wouldn't be the case if he was 25. Besides, retirement may not be the end of your career these days it seems. Should have a good two or three retirements left in a player before he's actually done. Retirement is more of a publicity stunt now. Maybe to try and swing a bit of curry in your favour...
Yeah who knows really. Would be s**t to see him go out this way though, despite all the media stories he is still an all-time great.

It doesn't matter if the booing isn't intended to racial. Adams Goodes and Lewis Jetta are taking it as racial, so for that reason alone it has to stop and can't be compared to booing other players.

So no matter what they do on the field, they cannot be booed in case they perceive it as racist?

I think the " war dance" exacerbated the situation
And I think the flip flopping on the " traditional" and " cultural" descriptions of it didn't help either and the fact that it was directed at the crowd when other things - like Cornes flipping the bird - get fined

If Goodes perceives something as racist, why then can not a fan perceive having a spear thrown at them as threatening?

I recall that was how some reported it, but I watched the footage and never saw a throwing motion. He had an arm up, but didn't thrust it forward. If people are being threatened by an imaginary spear being held aloft, I'd wonder how they'd ever leave their homes.

http://www.clickhole.com/article/ju...ult&utm_medium=ShareTools&utm_source=facebook

When seventh-grader Kendra Lorrick found herself the victim of cyberbullying, she was devastated. Her classmate, Daniela Kanell, had created a Facebook page for the sole purpose of posting cruel jokes about her appearance. Within a couple of hours, it had accumulated almost 150 likes. The school took the page down quickly, but the pain of being publicly humiliated didn’t go away so easily.

mod edit: please dont quote entire articles

W..TF

Had my son ask me a very interesting question about this sort of statement this morning.

"Dad, if I boo Adam Goodes, am I a Bogan or Redneck? Why are people allowed to make labels on me because of my skin color but I'm not allowed to boo someone I don't like because of theirs?".

Glad Mum fielded an answer for me, but raises a good point. Why is it okay to label and name call from people on the Goodes side of the argument? Why do these people make judgement calls and sweeping statements and that's okay? Like Goodes calling the school girl "uneducated". What gives him the right to make assumptions about her lifestyle, upbringing or background? What if she doesn't go to school because of a learning disability? What if her parents were deceased? He's made a statement without knowing the facts and the potential hurt it could cause, exactly like she did. Difference being, he's an adult and role model. Maybe to a 13 year old girl, a big hairy man does actually look like an Ape? Maybe she genuinely didn't understand the racial undertones of calling a black person an Ape and therefore it's Goodes and the media that missed an opportunity to make this a Winmar moment in public education. As an earlier poster said, call the girl (privately), go meet with her and make sure she's okay, her family is okay and see if you can't get her involved as a public face of a No campaign....as long as she's willing. But no, like the spear incident, Goodes' story on the night quickly changed and became about poor Adam, instead of an opportunity for change and education. Much like his Australia of the Year award speech, which instead of being about inclusion and togetherness, became a political statement and divisive. It just seems both sides of this debate are playing by different rules because of skin color and the irony is it's the name callers that are actually displaying the behavior they are so desperately trying to condemn.

Food for thought.

Priceless!

I have an Aboriginal Flag in my office. I have an Aboriginal flag as my phones wall paper. I am not Aboriginal, although my wife and kids are, as is the organization I work for....Do you not realise that some of us show the Aboriginal flag to show support, despite being Non-Aboriginal??....or does that offend your sensibilities?? Would your "Indigenous mates" find that strange??

Yes because support for what? Support for being not white? Why do Aussies need support for that, there is a lot of us who are not white. I say we are all the same, we are Aussies, we should be treated the same, we are all 1 people doesn't matter where the hell you where originally from be it this land or other lands whether you parents or you were born in Iran, Israel, Istanbul or Ingham. Let's all be brothers of Australia. People like you and Goodes want A&TSI to be treated differently, I say we should all be treated the same.

The point is that it is one of the main reasons people dislike Goodes ...obtuse much ?
People don't like Goodes because other people bullied and shamed her? Unless you're claiming Goodes did it by pointing out a face in the crowd who abused him then said the next day that she needed support, not to be attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back