Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the quote by Goodes that I don't like:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...f-over-war-dance/story-fnpp4dl6-1227377043531

So basically what he's saying is that the war cry was aimed at the 'white' people in the crowd? Just a bizarre attitude to take. If the 'opposition' is the crowd, then surely they're within their right to get stuck into him when he plays?

Also the fact that Sydney were 50 points up at the time, against Carlton, probably the most average team of the past few decades didn't help. If it had happened after Goodes kicked a goal to put Sydney in front in a fierce contest (ala Mickey O and fat Daniel) then sure, go ahead. But all I can picture is Goodes premeditating it before the game, which is just ridiculous.

/rant, if you provoke the crowd, be prepared to cop it back. He should have retired last year, a shell of his former self, and i can't help but feel that he'll retire on the back of this controversy, and avoid Sydney having to push him out for the finals.

I was just about to post this.
They were 10 goals up against a side on its knees. He ran up to the small pocket of opposition fans to celebrate. I don't care if it was a war dance for indigenous round. At that stage of the game it looked ridiculous and completely floggish. The opposition fans would've had no idea what it was and thought he was being a flog.

Anyway I feel sorry for Sydney fans who have to put up with these ridiculous boo's each week.
I believe I've worked out why it isn't racially motivated,

I remember Bartel's supposed 'dive' against Hawthorn and the anger amongst hawk fans for the rest of and after the game was pretty bad, (they are good at holding a grudge) but I think they forgave him when he wore a diving costume to Mad Monday.
I guess this is an example of why I don't think this Goodes booing is racially motivated, coz if Bartel continued doing a few more 'dives' or happened to snipe someone in subsequent years, particularly a hawk player he would have kept on copping it and the abuse and boo's would have got louder, as they were pretty loud that night and social media was rife with anti Bartel comments for a while after ONE incident.
Goodes had built up a number of incidents and gradually the boo's got louder and finally now exploded.

My point is if Goodes had of handled these 'not so great reasons to boo him better' like diving and sniping instead of going with the race angle, this wouldn't have flared up.

Here is a link to an article on the Bartel dive....
http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...inkered-view-of-the-past-20140828-109o6z.html

They were 10 goals up against a side on its knees. He ran up to the small pocket of opposition fans to celebrate. I don't care if it was a war dance for indigenous round. At that stage of the game it looked ridiculous and completely floggish. The opposition fans would've had no idea what it was and thought he was being a flog.

Anyway I feel sorry for Sydney fans who have to put up with these ridiculous boo's each week.

I remember Bartel's supposed 'dive' against Hawthorn and the anger amongst hawk fans for the rest of and after the game was pretty bad, (they are good at holding a grudge) but I think they forgave him when he wore a diving costume to Mad Monday.
I guess this is an example of why I don't think this Goodes booing is racially motivated, coz if Bartel continued doing a few more 'dives' or happened to snipe someone in subsequent years, particularly a hawk player he would have kept on copping it and the abuse and boo's would have got louder, as they were pretty loud that night and social media was rife with anti Bartel comments for a while after ONE incident.
Goodes had built up a number of incidents and gradually the boo's got louder and finally now exploded.

My point is if Goodes had of handled these 'not so great reasons to boo him better' like diving and sniping instead of going with the race angle, this wouldn't have flared up.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...inkered-view-of-the-past-20140828-109o6z.html

If you watch the Goodes replay, as the ball was going through the goals he had already looked over to the Carlton squad. He was obviously thinking about the dance as he was running into take his kick.

Interesting...this year he wasn't boo'd untill the Hawthorn game in Round 8 (which they were then called out to be racists by that fat pig named Robinson), the following game they played Carlton, he did his little spear routine at the Carlton cheer squad.) and from then what we had was WW3 against Goodes. Everyone turned on him.
Funny thing is..if it wasn't for the media....it would never have got to this in the first place.

Ahhh you get it. Nice to see.

Correct we hold grudges...we have been booing him since the game he tripped Gibson in 2013 relentlessly, mind you before his Australian of the year award.
We do enjoy giving it to Selwood these days :) not me I'm not a booer.....I'm too busy abusing my own side.

Correct we hold grudges...we have been booing him since the game he tripped Gibson in 2013 relentlessly, mind you before his Australian of the year award.
We enjoy giving it to Selwood these days :)

I hate Carlton more than any team just because of what that dog Nichols did to Neville Crowe in the '67 second semi, and I would guarantee I'm not alone.

Ahhh you get it. Nice to see.

The spear incident was prime time Friday night football....he wanted to send out a message. Obviously the entire football public who were watching didn't agree.......
I quite liked the dance...twinkletoes, who it was directed at not so much. This simple act, also showed the football public that as a spectator you can certainly get under his skin.

Last edited:
We do enjoy giving it to Selwood these days :) not me I'm not a booer.....I'm too busy abusing my own side.

Thankyou again, not many people seem to know the timeline on this Goodes thing. I keep hearing about 2 years of relentless booing since the 13yo incident.
Ahhhhh no it hasn't gone that long competition wide.
You even admit to grudges.
Keep educating the masses please.

You know, that's very possible! Where have you seen it reported?

Okay, just saw it again. Go read the statement from the AFL commission where after consultation with the Swans, it directly says that Goodes feels the booing is racist. Pretty sure I've head this spoken by Swans spokespeople also, but can't find the reference. No projecting intentions or reading the thoughts of others involved as you so accused. It's been publicly reported to be the case.

YOU HAVE STILL NOT ADDRESSED MY POINT: THAT NO PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN THE GAME, NOT EVEN ADAM GOODES.
And no player deserves to be abused the way Hawthorn has abused AG.

Hate to think what would have happened if Lyndsay Thomas had broken Sam's legs.

There is a point where dignity and respect have a role to play.

Jeez. 386 pages!!! Do people just keep complaining about Goodes?

Booing a player is wrong regardless of if it's racist or not. Bottom line is it's bullying.
I've booed before when opposition players are lining up for a kick at goal. Is this bullying?

Are you sticking by that theory in the knowledge that Goodes distinctly pointed out that she was the "innocent face of racism" because she couldn't know the hurt her words caused? Or are you sticking by that theory because you believe the rhetoric spread by Bolt and friends that he called her the "face of racism"?

And by "elites" you mean "Tony Abbott's team". i.e. Your conspiracy is fantasy. The Coalition saw political advantage in awarding a sportsman who plays the most popular game in the country, and who is also a hero in the most populous city of the country, and who is also Aboriginal. Simple.
Indigenous mothers live with the fact that their children are 15x more likely to be prisoned than non-indigenous kids.

Why not send a little of your faux outrage to that situation.

The thing that everyone on here doesn't admit is that australia is a very racist country. I have been to many places and have not heard the talk you hear in Australia on a daily basis. Check out all the YouTube videos about australians on buses and trams.

You think racism is just name calling and talking? You have so much to learn about the world son.

Let's try our closest neighbours for Examples: Malaysia, I worked there last year as a manager. They have specific racist laws on what race of people I could and couldn't employ. Google Bumiputra. Google what Obama said about Malaysia son. Try Indonesia, see if you can stand in a line with out people just pushing in front of you, and no I don't mean Bali I mean real Indonesia like Irian Jia.
Now let's not even start with the genocide in Central and east Africa or Libya or Djibouti Why do you think so many people want to flee to Australia you ignorant young kid. Racism is not only about skin colour, it's about thinking that your race is superior to other races....... Try going to the Middle East and see how sub continent folks are treated there.

I'm not saying Australia is good as we have a long way to go but don't bag our country when relatively Australia is a great place to live.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indigenous mothers live with the fact that their children are 15x more likely to be prisoned than non-indigenous kids.
Why not send a little of your faux outrage to that situation.

Mate really, don't make crime a race issue please. The criminal code treats all equally. Yes I agree there is a problem that something needs doing about but really we All, their mothers included should bare responsibility for the problem.

Wait... Is boo-ing racially motivated or not? You can't have the cake and eat it to. Was Milne really boo'd because he is white?

So I am not sure why I need to explain this. Booing is an expression of displeasure. It can obviously be used in a broad range of contexts. In the case of Milne it was used to express displeasure for what he was alleged to have done to that girl. In the case of Goodes it is more complex but there certainly is a racial element to it. Since we all know that this booing is having such a deep impact on him and his sense of race, to continue to boo is racially motivated.

Depends if you believe the racist rhetoric that certain people feed us like our fake australian of the year

Wow, not proud of where you are from mate? Don't like being told that our society is built from the suffering of others? What the hell was Goodes supposed to do? Smile and say how much Australia Day means to him? How else could he view Australia Day other than invasion day. The day celebrates and commemorates the day that his country was invaded. Now there are different ways to rationalise such an event and the persecution of the aboriginal people has really limited the ability of the aboriginal community to rationalise this event in anything but the most negative terms. His rhetoric is not about racism other than that he has suffered

Interesting...this year he wasn't boo'd untill the Hawthorn game in Round 8 (which they were then called out to be racists by that fat pig named Robinson), the following game they played Carlton, he did his little spear routine at the Carlton cheer squad.) and from then what we had was WW3 against Goodes. Everyone turned on him.
Funny thing is..if it wasn't for the media....it would never have got to this in the first place.
We don't refer to people as any form of animal anymore

Yep better to have a cowardly grub who kicked a player in the head because he was sledged by his former team mates and racially vilified a great indigenous footballer Chris Lewis.

Brereton is also the same grub who knocked out Danny Frawley with a behind the play round arm that Frawley was not expecting.

Brereton prided himself on his toughness but was always a dirty sniper. Knocking blokes out behind play when they aren't expecting anything is not tough.

Oh and Kernahan had him covered as a player in almost all facets.

End of Dermie rant. I'll see myself out. Now back to Goodes.

You think racism is just name calling and talking? You have so much to learn about the world son.

Let's try our closest neighbours for Examples: Malaysia, I worked there last year as a manager. They have specific racist laws on what race of people I could and couldn't employ. Google Bumiputra. Google what Obama said about Malaysia son. Try Indonesia, see if you can stand in a line with out people just pushing in front of you, and no I don't mean Bali I mean real Indonesia like Irian Jia.
Now let's not even start with the genocide in Central and east Africa or Libya or Djibouti Why do you think so many people want to flee to Australia you ignorant young kid. Racism is not only about skin colour, it's about thinking that your race is superior to other races....... Trying going to the Middle East and see how sub continent folks are treated there.

I'm not saying Australia is good as we have a long way to go but don't bag our country when relatively Australia is a great place to live.
This is the moral equivalent of the teenager who when asked to something good says - look at them. How about trying a morally rational argument commensurate with an adult - son.

Mate really, don't make crime a race issue please. The criminal code treats all equally. Yes I agree there is a problem that something needs doing about but really we All, their mothers included should bare responsibility for the problem.
No. That's the issue. The criminal code does NOT treat everybody equally which is why these statistics are so damning.

We should all bare responsibility for that fact, just as we should all bare responsibility when teenagers grow up in a culture of racism.

The thing we should stop doing is bullying people who speak out about this into submission.

The further this thread goes the more it seems people aren't booing Goodes because they're racist - they're booing him because they've never actually researched into the reasons they believe make it reasonable to boo him. How many times does that AOTY speech need to be posted? How many times do his COMPLETE comments re: the "ape" girl need to be posted? At this stage, people are either willfully ignoring evidence that goes against their position or they're not willing to engage in the research and are just gobbing off based on headlines and word-of-mouth info.

The "We boo because he's dirty/a diver" arguments have been roundly shot down as nonsense, as SJ, Lewis and Thomas don't receive the same treatment.

The "He bullied a 13-year old girl" claims hold no water when you read his actual quotes and consider what actually happened.

The "He used the AOTY pulpit to attack Invasion Day!" reasoning has been shown time and again as an utter falsehood.

What's left? "I boo because it gets under his skin?" Good for you, you're a primary school sandpit bully. "I boo because the AFL can't tell me what to do!" Cool, you're obstreperous to the point where you're happy to boo a man when you know he, his team-mates, many players around the league and many fans find it distasteful. Congratulations, you are incapable of restraint!

Goes to show, never judge a poster on his username.

Well said!

does anyone in this thread actually think that what Adam Goodes has done the past 2 years has helped unite Indigenous australians with those that arent?

Serious question.

he's done a whole lot more than Tony Abbott..who's supposed to be leading us, yet when it comes to racial vilification he remains silent.

he's done a whole lot more than Tony Abbott..who's supposed to be leading us, yet when it comes to racial vilification he remains silent.
He has done exactly what was hoped when he was named AOTY. He has started a conversation.

Many many people have been shocked to hear that the indigenous population consider 1788 an invasion. We were simply not taught these things in school.

Now people have the choice to listen to another perspective and empathize, or block it out and attack the messenger. And that is a question of character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back