Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone really care about his ancestry? His footy tactics are all I care about. I boo him as well as Ballantyne equally. It's football not politics.

Does anyone really care about his ancestry? His footy tactics are all I care about. I boo him as well as Ballantyne equally. It's football not politics.
And yet Barry "king hit" Hall didn't cop anything. Just a coincidence I'm sure.

I can't believe this question is seriously being asked. Truly dumbfounded. There was no invasion force, no army incursion to conquer a people, their government or plunder the land. There was a colony established at one place on this continent for the purpose of housing and overseeing criminals. Then another was settled and another, as goes the process of colonisation.

The military presence was to control the convict population, not to invade. The acts of aggression were hardly that of an invading force, with reports being that settlement was relatively peaceful in it's initial phase; quite incongruent with the concept of invasion. Entering a territory? Well not sure how you can colonise without entering a new land, however which definition are you talking about, as there was certainly no territory as in belonging to a recognised State, as in terms of an invasion. Conquering of a land? When did that happen? Must have been the longest invasion in history given how long it look Europeans to settle across the continent and then join in federation.

I don't subscribe this invasion crap. It's just a rewrite of history. Like many lands around the world newly discovered by seafaring Europeans, this land was colonised. That is the term of our language. There is a reason invade and colonise are not shared synonyms. You should all wake up to yourselves.
So in the event the Indigenous population asked them to leave the plan was for the military to do nothing because their job was to look after the prisoners. They would then return to England and apologise to the natives. Sounds like a good version of history. Where did you learn that? (God forbid you're not a history major)

Nup. You're naive and deluded

This is what your cognitive dissonance calls for you to conclude. When in fact I am well educated, well traveled in both Oz and around the world, have lived and worked in various countries, speak more than one language and have spent a reasonable enough portion of my life in service to disadvantaged communities in third world countries. Go figure.

Sure - but can you accept that his stance on racial politics is the motivation for a lot of booers. One of Australia's leading columnists asked him to apologise or the booing would continue in today's papers

This is what your cognitive dissonance calls for you to conclude. When in fact I am well educated, well traveled in both Oz and around the world, have lived and worked in various countries, speak more than one language and have spent a reasonable enough portion of my life in service to disadvantaged communities in third world countries. Go figure.
So what. Still a doofus

Wow, not proud of where you are from mate? Don't like being told that our society is built from the suffering of others? What the hell was Goodes supposed to do? Smile and say how much Australia Day means to him? How else could he view Australia Day other than invasion day. The day celebrates and commemorates the day that his country was invaded. Now there are different ways to rationalise such an event and the persecution of the aboriginal people has really limited the ability of the aboriginal community to rationalise this event in anything but the most negative terms. His rhetoric is not about racism other than that he has suffered

You do realise that without australia day adam goodes wouldn't have ever existed right? Time for a reality check mate his father is 100% white.

You do realise that without australia day adam goodes wouldn't have ever existed right? Time for a reality check mate his father is 100% white.
And you do realise that he's acknowledged Australia Day is a day that should be celebrated, right?

So in the event the Indigenous population asked them to leave the plan was for the military to do nothing because their job was to look after the prisoners. They would then return to England and apologise to the natives. Sounds like a good version of history. Where did you learn that? (God forbid you're not a history major)

I dunno. Perhaps you just don't understand what colonisation means. Certainly it is not what you describe here. Establishing control over the indigenous population is very much a part of the colonisation process. As I said, calling it colonisation - which is what it was - doesn't downplay anything. It was a brutal process for indigenous people of the lands being colonised across the globe.

I dunno. Perhaps you just don't understand what colonisation means. Certainly it is not what you describe here. Establishing control over the indigenous population is very much a part of the colonisation process. As I said, calling it colonisation - which is what it was - doesn't downplay anything. It was a brutal process for indigenous people of the lands being colonised across the globe.
This is the textbook definition of an invasion.

I dare say that a majority of aboriginals have endured racism in their lives, even to this day....But is the footy field an appropriate forum in which to raise & debate the issue?....And, does that then necessitate & justify extending it beyond the boundary fence?....It's fair to say that Goodes has crossed that line.

Goodes has crossed the line????? My God where do you people come from.
You said what I wanted to say. Goodes plays the victim but he's the real racist in the charade.

The lunatics are now running the asylum. Goodes expresses his views about how hard it is to be an Aborigine in Australia, stands up to a racist supporter whose parents failed to teach her some basic manners and he is a racist. I won't bother asking what you think about Gary Ablett senior.

20 reasons why you may just be a redneck.

• You think "loading the dishwasher" means getting your wife drunk.
  • You ever cut your grass and found a car.
  • You take a fishing pole into Sea World.
  • You think the stock market has a fence around it.
  • Your stereo speakers used to belong to the Drive-in Theater.
  • Your boat has not left the drive-way in 15 years.
  • You own a homemade fur coat.
  • Chiggers are included on your list of top 5 hygiene concerns.
  • You burn your yard rather than mow it.
  • Your wife has ever said, "Come move this transmission so I can take a bath."
  • You read the Auto Trader with a highlight pen.
  • The Salvation Army declines your mattress.
  • You've ever raked leaves in your kitchen.
  • Birds are attracted to your beard.
  • Your wife's job requires her to wear an orange vest.
  • You were shooting pool when any of your kids were born.
  • You have the local taxidermist's number on speed dial.
  • You've ever hit a deer with your car...deliberately.
  • Your school fight song was "Dueling Banjos".
  • You think a chain saw is a musical instrument.

People arriving: Hello, this country will do. It's ours now.
Inhabitants: Uh hey guys, this is already our country, sorry.
People arriving: *gunshot* Anyone else?

#colonisation

This "country" will do. It's ours now? That's a modern perspective that simply did not exist at the time. There was no country. There wasn't a country for another 100 odd years after that either. This is just a story removed from reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No you're being a dick - the brutal process was an invasion. I have no idea what point you're trying to prove. The more you describe "the Colonisation process" the closer you come to describing invasion. There were a number of "invasions" over a prolonged period. Der

This "country" will do. It's ours now? That's a modern perspective that simply did not exist at the time. There was no country. There wasn't a country for another 100 odd years after that either. This is just a story removed from reality.
There was no country?

Wow...

Okay you're done now.

I don't subscribe this invasion crap. It's just a rewrite of history. Like many lands around the world newly discovered by seafaring Europeans, this land was colonised. That is the term of our language. There is a reason invade and colonise are not shared synonyms. You should all wake up to yourselves.

White man's dictionary, fella. #institutionalracism

Turn it up mate people booed Sam Mitchell because they didn't like his tactics, don't you think maybe it's the same with Adam Goodes ?

There's is a difference between booing someone once or twice, and booing someone unremittingly.

One is an expression of disapproval, the other is an expression of intolerance for the individual. It's an extreme application of bullying.

Tell us what happened to ALL the aboriginal people in Tasmania?

Clearly, people do care.

While I was of the opinion that people were booing for the same reasons as you've written(I booed him at the MCG earlier this year, as I have Ballantyne and SJ), I'm now drawn to the conclusion that there's more than a few people who generally boo Goodes because he had the audacity to point out someone who vilified him and stand up for what he believes in when accepting his AOTY award.

The thinly veiled racism has slowly showed its face over the last few days and I'm now quite convinced we have an issue.

I will be applauding every Goodes possession from here on in.

The real issue now is what is happening to the kids in the settlements.

People are more interested in arguing over booing rather than real physical and emotional issues happening right now that affect indigenous people especially in the aforementioned settlements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back