Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is attributing a hell of a lot of baggage to just one word, "discussion".

Isn't Goodesy allowed to speak English like the rest of us?

If so, isn't he allowed to use it freely, just like you and me, without having to stop and examine every single word under a microscope before he puts it to use each time?

not sure of your point here, but i quoted the phrase "the discussion". judging by the football world's reaction i'd say there's some baggage there. which Adam Goodes (AOTY 2014) did not unpack. probably because if he did he'd find the baggage was compressed so tight that if he'd attempted to unpack it he'd be unable to adequately deal with it. i'd be a little surprised if he had an idea of the hysterical reaction his week off would elicit.

(Perhaps that's what Tony Abbott was doing with his bizarre twenty eight second looking-at-the-reporter-who-just-asked-him-a-question-nodding-his-head-and-not-saying-anything incident a few years back.He was just choosing his words carefully.)

i'm convinced a lot of voters, perhaps younger ones, may not have been aware that this bloke was dubbed "the mad monk" for a reason. his brain don't work proper.

i'm sorry, but linking to a waleed aly opinion piece is evidence of nothing, other than the fact waleed aly has an opinion on the matter. and i wouldn't even pay him in dogshit for that.

certainly the people arguing racism have a definite advantage. namely the advantage of not encumbering themselves with facts and evidence. research is time consuming. actual research may mean missing a few deadlines which is unacceptable in this day and age.

Facts and evidence? The Australian Bureau of Statistics, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, and thousands of scholarly articles show that there is a significant mental and physical health gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians. The statistical probability of an aboriginal struggling in life due to socioeconomic factors is higher than the statistical probability of a white person struggling in life. Also, let this quote sink in, to those who think there is no systemic inequality:

"I clearly recollect the Prime Minister of Australia, Mr Gough Whitlam, standing before 60 of us Aboriginal people and asking that we tell him what we wanted from his government rather than 'what we think is best for you'. No other Prime Minister had ever made that statement and nobody since, including Kevin Rudd."

I didn't say it made sense, I was angry at Wilson, but I'd have boo-ed Goodes as a proxy, but only if they happened to be in my loungeroom. I wouldn't boo Goodes now, probably even if he did something deserving. I am a bit pissed off with the Sacred Cow status being awarded to Goodes but not enough to risk siding with racists.

Fair enough mick. Love your honesty.:thumbsu:

Miranda Devine reduced Goodes' Australian of the Year award to a reward for victimising a young girl. Big Goodes booster that lady.

Quote from Miranda Divine : "Booing Adam Goodes is unkind, and it is wrong. Clearly it is out of control, since he finds it so hurtful he can’t even come out to play this weekend."

And she is the "enemy"? She is entitled to her opinions on AoTY, you mightn't agree with her but I do not detect racism there. Maybe my racism meter is broken.

Facts and evidence? The Australian Bureau of Statistics, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, and thousands of scholarly articles show that there is a significant mental and physical health gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians. The statistical probability of an aboriginal struggling in life due to socioeconomic factors is higher than the statistical probability of a white person struggling in life. Also, let this quote sink in, to those who think there is no systemic inequality:

"I clearly recollect the Prime Minister of Australia, Mr Gough Whitlam, standing before 60 of us Aboriginal people and asking that we tell him what we wanted from his government rather than 'what we think is best for you'. No other Prime Minister had ever made that statement and nobody since, including Kevin Rudd."

Can you tell me what they were asking for, and what Whitlam's reply was?

Serious question.

Would it affect your decision to boo if you knew it could have long term detrimental affects on his mental health? Or dont you give a s**t?
If it affects him like that, then he needs help, he's not fit mentally to be on the field.

If he had come out in the first place and said I'm suffering with personal/mental issues or depression, I'm not fit to play, people might have caught on and felt a bit for him, and he would never have been booed; But he didn't, he blamed everyone else for it, kept playing and further incited the whole situation with his 'war dances' and 'air spears'.

I don't think anybody cares enough about him to hate him, it's just that people know bullshit when they smell it.

Quote from Miranda Divine : "Booing Adam Goodes is unkind, and it is wrong. Clearly it is out of control, since he finds it so hurtful he can’t even come out to play this weekend."

And she is the "enemy"? She is entitled to her opinions on AoTY, you mightn't agree with her but I do not detect racism there. Maybe my racism meter is broken.
This is the woman who has been attacking Goodes every time she writes about him. Looks like crocodile tears to me. I wonder if she has changed her mind about the AotY being a reward for victimising a young girl?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm genuinely shocked that you think I should. It doesn't make much sense. The whole this equals that no matter what way of thinking is a massive set up for difficulty in human relations. It might work well when surrounded by a majority of like-minded or similarly educated people, or those socially conditioned to accept it as a principle, but the minute you step out of that sheltered paradigm, you're going to encounter some difficulty and sadly, one of the more common responses is to start labelling others as a means of rationalizing the difference between you i.e. racist, ignorant etc.

This is not a great way to build common ground. Just my opinion of course.

If others form an opinion about your booing in light of the circumstances and you don't like that opinion, they should change their opinion?
Is that really what you want to argue?

From the point of the view of the victim, yes, dead is dead.
Think.
Scenario 1- You put snail poison in your garden because you have a snail problem. The neighbours kid comes into your yard, eats the pellets and dies.

Scenario 2- You walk up to your neighbours child, stab them in the neck and they die.

Same?

Scenario 1- You put snail poison in your garden because you have a snail problem. The neighbours kid comes into your yard, eats the pellets and dies.

Scenario 2- You walk up to your neighbours child, stab them in the neck and they die.

Same?

Is one supposed to be manslaughter and the other murder?
If so, try again.

It's almost like human beings have tolerance levels and breaking points.

It's a boo. :$

Let's hope Casper the ghost doesn't come around his house sometime in the future and scare him with a little boo. God know what will happen to Casper.

If it affects him like that, then he needs help, he's not fit mentally to be on the field.

If he had come out in the first place and said I'm suffering with personal/mental issues or depression, I'm not fit to play, people might have caught on and felt a bit for him, and he would never have been booed; But he didn't, he blamed everyone else for it, kept playing and further incited the whole situation with his 'war dances' and 'air spears'.

I don't think anybody cares enough about him to hate him, it's just that people know bullshit when they smell it.
Well mental illness can come after repeated exposure to stressors. Booing probably didn't bother him for the first few years but after relentless booing it appears to be getting him down. Do you concede this is possible? Do you conced his mental health is more important than your right to boo?

It's a boo. :$

Let's hope Casper the ghost doesn't come around his house sometime in the future and scare him with a little boo. God know what will happen to Casper.

A boo that is racially motivated because it's been happening a lot and none of the alternative explanations add up. Relentless booing would happen to more players if it was just because of what they do on field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back