The Adelaide Oval Deal Discussion

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Given the licences were in play, the AFL failed the clubs, just as they did in locking div2 Melbourne clubs into dud deals at Etihad.

I'd say both the AFL & the SANFL acted in their own best interests & the clubs were shackled with dud deals. Did they act independently in having the clubs sign the deals. Not surprised some find conspiracy confronting but call a spade a spade, stop trying to divert blame from every party involved, even running the consultants line eh 36.

Im not surprised others are able to find conspiracies everywhere they look either.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
No one can explain the biggest question at all, why did the two clubs agree to signing a long term agreement even when the review meant nothing could be changed?

It is a very important question - granted. But it's not the only question, and the answer to the question will almost certainly pose even more questions.

It would be nice if someone asked it of both AFL clubs. If, as suggested, that they were effectively forced into signing, then it could even put the legality of the contract into doubt.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
It is a very important question - granted. But it's not the only question, and the answer to the question will almost certainly pose even more questions.

It would be nice if someone asked it of both AFL clubs. If, as suggested, that they were effectively forced into signing, then it could even put the legality of the contract into doubt.

Both clubs apparently signed a confidentiality agreement. How did it come about? Who lost? Who won: the SMA, the SANFL, SACA - some or all. What was the role of the AFL? Sshhh, feed them cake ..

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Both clubs apparently signed a confidentiality agreement. How did it come about? Who lost? Who won: the SMA, the SANFL, SACA - some or all. What was the role of the AFL? Sshhh, feed them cake ..

Kevin Foley (SA Gov) advised himself and the AFL brokered the deal to ensure the SACA and SANFL agreed and set up the deal, but no blame the SANFL, because they said what they wanted, was wandering if all were expecting the SANFL to maybe give a little to the AFL and maybe even the NEAFL to help football prosper in Australia. Yes they wanted a fair slice but if they didn't ask do you think they would have ended up with less. When you apply for a job and someone says what do you want do you go for unders and tell them what you want?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Kevin Foley (SA Gov) advised himself and the AFL brokered the deal to ensure the SACA and SANFL agreed and set up the deal, but no blame the SANFL, because they said what they wanted, was wandering if all were expecting the SANFL to maybe give a little to the AFL and maybe even the NEAFL to help football prosper in Australia. Yes they wanted a fair slice but if they didn't ask do you think they would have ended up with less. When you apply for a job and someone says what do you want do you go for unders and tell them what you want?

Responsible people make responsible decisions - thats ALL involved. From the AFL clubs point of view, I certainly believe it was the AFL that let them down. I also believe the AFL would have known how the stadium would trade ($s), yet encouraged/forced the clubs to sign the agreement currently in force.

Let me declare my interest, that the new WA stadium/WA footy doesnt suffer a similar deal OR an Etihad style deal either.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Responsible people make responsible decisions - thats ALL involved. From the AFL clubs point of view, I certainly believe it was the AFL that let them down. I also believe the AFL would have known how the stadium would trade ($s), yet encouraged/forced the clubs to sign the agreement currently in force.

Let me declare my interest, that the new WA stadium/WA footy doesnt suffer a similar deal OR an Etihad style deal either.

You would believe that the AFL would let them down though. Its your go to position on pretty much anything to do with the AFL.

The AFL is not a signatory to the stadium deal as far as Im aware, and as such cant be blamed for the end result. Forced the clubs how? The clubs were entirely under the control of the SANFL. The venue they played at was SANFL owned, they one they were moving to would be SANFL run.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You would believe that the AFL would let them down though. Its your go to position on pretty much anything to do with the AFL.

The AFL is not a signatory to the stadium deal as far as Im aware, and as such cant be blamed for the end result. Forced the clubs how? The clubs were entirely under the control of the SANFL. The venue they played at was SANFL owned, they one they were moving to would be SANFL run.

Foley and the AFL brought the SACA and SANFL to the table to actually make it happen, that wouldnt have been by buying them a cup of coffee but discussing the deal and negotiating where they will sit financially. Then I have no doubt they wouldnt have agreed if there wasnt an upside to them. No doubt the AFL has an enormous amount of influence over the clubs, Port have lived off handouts from the AFL and will continue to do so, giving the AFL a lot of control of that club, but you wouldnt bite the hands that feeds you.

The clubs had their own sub licence agreement and yes it would have been a big call at the time not to agree to the move, but it would have been seen as a stale mate with neither the SACA and SANFL giving ground and the Clubs not giving in. Then no doubt the AFL or SA Government would have stepped in, or as I believe they already did, but they have a big stick over the AFL clubs to ensure they get what they want.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

So the deal was signed when the SANFL owned the clubs?

Did the AFL agree to play games at Adelaide Oval ignorant of the details of the stadium agreement? Did they ever suggest to fans that both clubs would be beneficiaries of a move? Did the AFL endorse the terms of the sale of the licences.

When it comes to stadium agreements the AFL are poison, see Adelaide Oval, see Etihad, & remember the nonsense over Subi scheduling a Rugby Test that did no favours to WAFC getting the management rights of the new stadium.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Did the AFL agree to play games at Adelaide Oval ignorant of the details of the stadium agreement? Did they ever suggest to fans that both clubs would be beneficiaries of a move? Did the AFL endorse the terms of the sale of the licences.

When it comes to stadium agreements the AFL are poison, see Adelaide Oval, see Etihad, & remember the nonsense over Subi scheduling a Rugby Test that did no favours to WAFC getting the management rights of the new stadium.

The SANFL didnt own the clubs, they owned the AFL licence and rented out a sub licence to the Clubs to enable them to compete in the SANFL

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Lol the AFL are to blame for the Subi crap. Right then.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
A deliberate(???) attempt to deny your posts cheerleading the position taken by the AFL claiming a divine right to the venue because the WAFC manage the facility for WA taxpayers.

What 'the Subi crap' ?

You kinow damn well, we've had this out before. No one has ever claimed the AFL had a divine right to the stadium. You think the AFL were negligent somehow because they didnt place a booking on stadiums they would need across the country for possible finals matches. How this has somehow impacted the WAFLs stadium management chances at Burswood is beyond me, given it was a state government decision.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
You kinow damn well, we've had this out before. No one has ever claimed the AFL had a divine right to the stadium. You think the AFL were negligent somehow because they didnt place a booking on stadiums they would need across the country for possible finals matches. How this has somehow impacted the WAFLs stadium management chances at Burswood is beyond me, given it was a state government decision.

a typo? the WAFLs stadium management chances at Burswood

Would the AFL expect to have some right to schedule games at the new facility or would they be like everyone else and book the facility?

One sport controlling the stadium at the exclusion of other sports is a live issue in who gets the stadium management rights & the WAFC have a hole in their foot courtesy of the AFL reaction supported by pseudo influential Melbourne types like Eddie, mouth open, foot in mouth. You really are in denial, situation normal when the AFL management is discussed. The AFL have form.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
a typo? the WAFLs stadium management chances at Burswood

Would the AFL expect to have some right to schedule games at the new facility or would they be like everyone else and book the facility?

One sport controlling the stadium at the exclusion of other sports is a live issue in who gets the stadium management rights & the WAFC have a hole in their foot courtesy of the AFL reaction supported by pseudo influential Melbourne types like Eddie, mouth open, foot in mouth. You really are in denial, situation normal when the AFL management is discussed. The AFL have form.

Please. Its not exactly standard practice to book a stadium a year in advance for finals that may never happen. See the FFA and Etihad. Or even now the MCG and the AFL in July. Given it was a state government decision to hold the test at subiaco and the state government appoints the management of the new stadium - i fail to see how this impacted that AT ALL.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Please. Its not exactly standard practice to book a stadium a year in advance for finals that may never happen. See the FFA and Etihad. Or even now the MCG and the AFL in July. Given it was a state government decision to hold the test at subiaco and the state government appoints the management of the new stadium - i fail to see how this impacted that AT ALL.

& I am not surprised by your take on events albeit grasping at straws, the State Government is central to every facet of whats good for WA footy, i.e WA footy not the AFL.

& I am not surprised by your take on events albeit grasping at straws, the State Government is central to every facet of whats good for WA footy, i.e WA footy not the AFL.

So why would they take the ground away from WAFC because the AFL made a few comments about the Rugby test?

Back