Portfolio 'The AFL Update' broadcast-style graphics

Remove this Banner Ad

Gysenn

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Hey guys. Thought I'd share my latest project with you all - a graphics set I've created for my new facebook page 'The AFL Update'.

Profile picture / watermark:
I decided to recreate the AFL logo here - keeps it easily identifiable as an AFL page, without just using the actual logo itself. Started from scratch using basic oval shapes, a similar font, and some cut and slash use of the smudge tool. Here's what I came up with...

11058482_768226359957112_7875957035084563817_n.png

Cover art:
This was inspired by the Real Madrid facebook page. I liked the 'bleed' kind of effect I'd achieved with the profile picture, so I experimented with some smudge techniques here as well.

Cover.png

Fixture:
The English Premier League has a similar format which they use to show the times of games in local timezones. I thought the timezones part was pretty important, seeing as the page is obviously aimed at fans all across the country - so when I created this fixture template, I made sure to include them. Including the host TV network seems to always create discussion. ("F*^#ing Foxtel!!!")

Round4.png

Pre-game:
I'm in the process of creating these in advance for every game this season. When the subs and late changes are released 90 minutes before the match, we upload them alongside this graphic. I've tracked down photos of the outside of every stadium that will host an AFL match this season, at every time of day, in every weather condition. Don't try that one at home...

Essendon_Collingwood.png

Carlton_Richmond.png

Richmond_Western_Bulldogs.png

North_Melbourne_Hawthorn.png

Final score:
Channel 10 circa-2007 inspired. This one gets updated in final few minutes of the game, and uploaded the moment the final siren sounds.

anzac1.png

l3ZVw44.png

vx5KjFg.png

Post-match summary:
This comes soon after the final score graphic.

anzac_summary.png

s_UMMARY.png

Couldn't resist ^
6epN6T7.png

Round results:
Same template as the fixture. Gets posted soon after the last game of the round.

Nab_Challenge_Round_4.png

Ladder:
You might have seen this NAB challenge version floating around the web over the last couple of days.

2CWU6zC.jpg

In case you missed it...
8am every morning, recapping the previous day's news. Inspired by a variety of news broadcasts - the headline is quite similar to ABC news 24.

Xe52hl3.png

Team of the week:
An upgrade of a similar graphic I used last season... Monday nights.

Rym3Ozn.jpg

Player of the week:
Comes soon after the team of the week, also on a Monday...

P4fJAFq.jpg

The injury list:
Tuesday afternoons... spices up the slab of text nicely. Working on a similar version for the Thursday night team release...

STasw5x.jpg

---

That's everything... for now. Let me know what you think!

(and don't forget to follow the page!)

Last edited:
Hey guys. Thought I'd share my latest project with you all - a graphics set I've created for my new facebook page 'The AFL Update'.

Profile picture / watermark:
I decided to recreate the AFL logo here - keeps it easily identifiable as an AFL page, without just using the actual logo itself. Started from scratch using basic oval shapes, a similar font, and some cut and slash use of the smudge tool. Here's what I came up with...

11058482_768226359957112_7875957035084563817_n.png

Cover art:
This was inspired by the Real Madrid facebook page. I liked the 'bleed' kind of effect I'd achieved with the profile picture, so I experimented with some smudge techniques here as well.

Cover.png

Fixture:
The English Premier League has a similar format which they use to show the times of games in local timezones. I thought the timezones part was pretty important, seeing as the page is obviously aimed at fans all across the country - so when I created this fixture template, I made sure to include them. Including the host TV network seems to always create discussion. ("F*^#ing Foxtel!!!")

Round4.png

Pre-game:
I'm in the process of creating these in advance for every game this season. When the subs and late changes are released 90 minutes before the match, we upload them alongside this graphic. I've tracked down photos of the outside of every stadium that will host an AFL match this season, at every time of day, in every weather condition. Don't try that one at home...

Essendon_Collingwood.png

Carlton_Richmond.png

Richmond_Western_Bulldogs.png

Final score:
Channel 10 circa-2007 inspired. This one gets updated in final few minutes of the game, and uploaded the moment the final siren sounds.

anzac1.png

tigers.png

Post-match summary:
This comes soon after the final score graphic.

anzac_summary.png

s_UMMARY.png

Couldn't resist ^

Round results:
Same template as the fixture. Gets posted soon after the last game of the round.

Nab_Challenge_Round_4.png

And finally... the Ladder:
You might have seen this NAB challenge version floating around the web over the last couple of days.

Nab_challenge_final.png

---

That's everything... for now. Let me know what you think!
it's.....it's.... it's beautiful.

PS. If anyone knows where I can find a high resolution photo of Etihad during the day from this angle, I'll be forever in their debt.

Otherwise I'll have to wait until Geelong's first game there and take the photo myself...

PS. If anyone knows where I can find a high resolution photo of Etihad during the day from this angle, I'll be forever in their debt.

Otherwise I'll have to wait until Geelong's first game there and take the photo myself...
upload_2015-3-24_15-28-12.png

Good enough?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only problem with black is it can blend in too much with night time photos and shadows on the ground. The blue as he has stands out on both those things
White or grey then.

Nah blue is better.

Nice work Gysenn
I disagree. For an example, look at FIFA, for 14 they used blue for most of the graphics, but because black looks better they now use black. 5-10 years ago these graphics would've looked great, but they'd look much better with black,

I disagree. For an example, look at FIFA, for 14 they used blue for most of the graphics, but because black looks better they now use black. 5-10 years ago these graphics would've looked great, but they'd look much better with black,
The only problem with black is it can blend in too much with night time photos and shadows on the ground. The blue as he has stands out on both those things

Last edited:
Black look generic, and unimaginative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back