News The AFL want names on jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

It's so easy to access a database on the club website or the AFL website to look up the player, and you won't even be able to read the names at the game or on TV unless there's a close up.

I just don't see the point. It doesn't make the jumpers look better either.
Thats all well and good but I'm the casual fan who'll watch a game if it's on but I won't exactly go looking for it. I'm sure I'm not the only person who does this either. Also, sponsors on jumpers do nothing to improve the look of them, but every cent spent on guernseys and numbers and names on guernseys goes into the club, so sometimes it's worth that tradeoff

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Thats all well and good but I'm the casual fan who'll watch a game if it's on but I won't exactly go looking for it. I'm sure I'm not the only person who does this either. Also, sponsors on jumpers do nothing to improve the look of them, but every cent spent on guernseys and numbers and names on guernseys goes into the club, so sometimes it's worth that tradeoff
Sponsors generate actual revenue, give me any evidence to suggest a name on the jumper will produce any meaningful dosh.

If you're a casual it doesn't even matter, see my point about the lack of visibility at the game or on TV.

For me, as only a casual fan, being able to associate a number and name is key to learning new players and teams, and having them together, even if only visible in a closeup or newspaper shot, is such a help

When will you see them well enough to put the face to the name?

Sponsors generate actual revenue, give me any evidence to suggest a name on the jumper will produce any meaningful dosh.
Look at all the Shinji, Heskey and Del Piero jerseys that are floating around. Look at all the LeBron and Kobe jerseys, the Kaepernick jerseys and all the other people who wear named jumpers because they like a player for whatever reason. Look at Europe where rugby and football transfers see jersey sales jump, especially those bearing the names of said transferred players.

Look at all the Shinji, Heskey and Del Piero jerseys that are floating around. Look at all the LeBron and Kobe jerseys, the Kaepernick jerseys and all the other people who wear named jumpers because they like a player for whatever reason. Look at Europe where rugby and football transfers see jersey sales jump, especially those bearing the names of said transferred players.

Because they're international superstars.

Even then there's only a handful of massive names nationally, neutrals won't be jumping on board to buy Buddy Franklin jerseys.

All of the jumpers listed are also much more socially acceptable to wear casually than an AFL guernsey.

Yeah man that's really interchangable. Global superstar, one of the biggest names in the world, let alone in sport. No AFL player has even a hundreth of his power.
But but but, Buddy Franklin :oops:

Someone commented on St Kilda's Facebook saying that having names on jumpers will be good for sales, because people might want to buy jumpers for more than one player. Because, you know, different numbers don't represent different players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it certainly factors in regardless..

People won't start seeing AFL jumpers as more socially acceptable because there's a name on it.
I fail to see how adding a name can be detrimental though. All it does is tie a player's name to their number. International rugby union, domestic rugby union in the SANZAR countries, the NRL, AFL and GAA are the only major sports leagues I can think of without names on jumpers, and none of them really leave a mark on the world wide sports landscape apart from the union when all is considered.

I fail to see how adding a name can be detrimental though. All it does is tie a player's name to their number. International rugby union, domestic rugby union in the SANZAR countries, the NRL, AFL and GAA are the only major sports leagues I can think of without names on jumpers, and none of them really leave a mark on the world wide sports landscape apart from the union when all is considered.

It isn't detrimental. But it is pointless.

I think it looks worse, others will think it looks better. But it objectively adds nothing.

Yeah man that's really interchangable. Global superstar, one of the biggest names in the world, let alone in sport. No AFL player has even a hundreth of his power.

Buddy Franklin, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett Jr.

3 massive names who would have sold a ton of guernseys at their original clubs.

Then when they moved clubs, everyone who had their guernsey at the old club would have had to replace it because of the name, and on arrival at their new club the new supporters would have bought up in bulk.

It works in every major sport. It works for the same reason that soccer clubs changing their shirts every year works. Fans want shiny new things that are up to date.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Anyway, all you asked for was evidence that a player's name generated shirt sales. Beckham is comfortably the most prominent example of this, without him we'd have never seen a Galaxy shirt for sale all over the world in a million years.

But obviously there are plenty of other good examples. LeBron James would be the next best one. Just because AFL guernseys wont sell on the same scale doesn't mean it won't be a moneyspinner for exactly the same reasons.

Anyway, all you asked for was evidence that a player's name generated shirt sales. Beckham is comfortably the most prominent example of this, without him we'd have never seen a Galaxy shirt for sale all over the world in a million years.

But obviously there are plenty of other good examples. LeBron James would be the next best one. Just because AFL guernseys wont sell on the same scale doesn't mean it won't be a moneyspinner for exactly the same reasons.

I simply can't see an increase in people wearing Judd/Ablett/Franklin jumpers when the only difference is a name on top of an already recognisable number.

Like I said people don't wear AFL jumpers like they do soccer/basketball tops. How often do you see people in shopping centres sporting an AFL guernsey against soccer/basktetball.

Buddy Franklin, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett Jr.

3 massive names who would have sold a ton of guernseys at their original clubs.

Then when they moved clubs, everyone who had their guernsey at the old club would have had to replace it because of the name, and on arrival at their new club the new supporters would have bought up in bulk.

It works in every major sport. It works for the same reason that soccer clubs changing their shirts every year works. Fans want shiny new things that are up to date.

Not necessarily, the people who buy them that often already exist and they buy jumpers every year regardless of if a player has moved on.

For example, I still see people sporting Torres Liverpool jumpers and LeBron Cleveland tops. People will still hang onto these as the jumpers are freaking expensive, and often not worth dropping another hundred on because a player moved.

I hate the idea! Why do the AFL feel the need to constantly ruin s**t? I understand its all about money these days but as if starting 2 new teams in states that couldn't give two shits about aussie rules isn't bad enough, now we have to cheapen the look of our guernseys and break with tradition to try and keep up with other sports. If you don't know the name of a player, look it up, it takes 5 seconds these days with all our gadgets why do we have to be like soccer, or basketball, or every other f**king sport that the AFL are trying to compete with, they don't need to compete, they dominate the landscape already just leave everything alone and if you are "new" to the sport well do a bit of research instead of having to be spoon fed every little bit of information about our once great game which is slowly become more and more bastardised and unrecognisable as Australian rules football. Oh and let's f**k off our travesty of a guernsey that is the tri panel garbage, but one thing at a time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back