THE AFL'S GAME OF SHAME

Remove this Banner Ad

Wardong

Debutant
Jul 28, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
In one of the worst display of biased umpiring I have ever seen, Fremantle are given the "Old Heave Ho" by the powers within the AFL.
An inquiry should be held to determine who instructed umpires to so blatantly favour Hawthorn.
It would seem that the result of this game was determined before the ball was bounced.
Hold your heads high Freo players, you where robbed along with tens of thousands of your supporters.

The umpires involved should be investigated to determine if they unfairly, corruptly are through pure incompetence affected the result of this game. Until this is done they should be suspended.
If this type of umpiring is allowed to continue, the AFL and our game can not be taken seriously. I have absolutely no confidence in the AFL giving our game a clearly defined set of rules.

It may seem like this post is a case of a disappointed, one eyed Freo supporter, have a look at the replay of this game and make up your own mind, a disgrace to Football.

You know the OP is going a little overboard when a cats fan comes in defence of the Hawks.

Seriously? Look we may have had the rub of the green, but to say that you would have won without? good luck with your meltdown

You know the OP is going a little overboard when a cats fan comes in defence of the Hawks.

Seriously? Look we may have had the rub of the green, but to say that you would have won without? good luck with your meltdown

Yeah as an impartial I thought the hawks had the slight rub if the green, but the real difference for mine was that

1. Freo let Hawks play how they like to, to a degree. Compare Eagles and Richmond efforts against them.

2. Despite this, Freo played pretty well but just did not grab some key moments whereas Hawthorn did. Grabbing those moments could well have got the crowd going enough to see them home.

Yeah as an impartial I thought the hawks had the slight rub if the green, but the real difference for mine was that

1. Freo let Hawks play how they like to, to a degree. Compare Eagles and Richmond efforts against them.

2. Despite this, Freo played pretty well but just did not grab some key moments whereas Hawthorn did. Grabbing those moments could well have got the crowd going enough to see them home.
what would have got the crowd going is if they had paid a free kick to walters to bring the game to 3 points

what would have got the crowd going is if they had paid a free kick to walters to bring the game to 3 points
No doubt that was ordinary. But what about Barlow and Mayne missing, etc. Compare Suckling goal at 3qtr time.

Hawks were 11.3 at one point. Freo were a bit stiff, but I kind of felt they did have their chances to get the lead back and didn't take them. Had they, who knows, the crowd and the umpiring might have followed the momentum as is sometimes the case.

I'd be crook about that first quarter, with a bit of luck Freo should have had a handy lead, and who knows, it could have been enough to shut Hawthorn out and run away with it. But that wasn't to be, other opportunities arose however, and Fremantle, not for lack of effort or ability, just couldn't quite make it happen.

It may seem like this post is a case of a disappointed, one eyed Freo supporter, have a look at the replay of this game and make up your own mind, a disgrace to Football.
I thought so, then i watched, then it went back to the first point you made being correct

No doubt that was ordinary. But what about Barlow and Mayne missing, etc. Compare Suckling goal at 3qtr time.

Hawks were 11.3 at one point. Freo were a bit stiff, but I kind of felt they did have their chances to get the lead back and didn't take them. Had they, who knows, the crowd and the umpiring might have followed the momentum as is sometimes the case.

I'd be crook about that first quarter, with a bit of luck Freo should have had a handy lead, and who knows, it could have been enough to shut Hawthorn out and run away with it. But that wasn't to be, other opportunities arose however, and Fremantle, not for lack of effort or ability, just couldn't quite make it happen.
for me the turning point was chris mayne i was at the game and when he missed from 20 it killed the crowd,then hawks kicked the next 3 goals

for me the turning point was chris mayne i was at the game and when he missed from 20 it killed the crowd,then hawks kicked the next 3 goals

Thats about right, however the umpiring was a disgrace. These days It seems they are more interested in being the main attraction, than being the umpires that are unobtrusive & even handed.

Giving respect to the umpires is one thing, how about if some of them respect the game for a change. They ruined & tainted a potentially good game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In one of the worst display of biased umpiring I have ever seen, Fremantle are given the "Old Heave Ho" by the powers within the AFL.
An inquiry should be held to determine who instructed umpires to so blatantly favour Hawthorn.
It would seem that the result of this game was determined before the ball was bounced.
Hold your heads high Freo players, you where robbed along with tens of thousands of your supporters.

The umpires involved should be investigated to determine if they unfairly, corruptly are through pure incompetence affected the result of this game. Until this is done they should be suspended.
If this type of umpiring is allowed to continue, the AFL and our game can not be taken seriously. I have absolutely no confidence in the AFL giving our game a clearly defined set of rules.

Are you kidding??? Hawks got one extra free and you both got goals via the umpires.

Just because your supporters were booing a lot does not mean you were getting robbed.

Best team won - your players made more mistakes than the umpires. Investigate them - maybe they backed the Hawks.

Thats about right, however the umpiring was a disgrace. These days It seems they are more interested in being the main attraction, than being the umpires that are unobtrusive & even handed.

Giving respect to the umpires is one thing, how about if some of them respect the game for a change. They ruined & tainted a potentially good game.
yeah stevic the guy is a real stain on this game

Was a complete disgrace. I actually thought 2 out of the 3 umpires were okay. Once again Hawthorn's champion Matt Stevic came to the rescue though. I would say 90% of the stinkers in the 1st quarter and 70-80% overall came from him. I don't understand how he can continue to get Hawthorn games when his bias is the worst kept secret in the AFL.

Oh Boo Hoo

Hawthorn have played 1905 games in the VFL/AFL history and I reckon we've been screwed by the umpires in 1900 of those.

Freo have only played 477 games and have had the best run of the umpires in about 450 of those games.

Suck it up loser, you lost to a much better team.

By the way, what ship has never sailed into Fremantle? The Premiership.

Wrong thread

Not at all, perspective was my point.
Hopefully now the OP will denounce this vicious assault against a female like he has a few dodgy umpiring calls.
The adjectives used were farcical, there were bigger problems in WA than two soft free kicks in the first quarter. (Which were squared up in the 3rd).

I don't understand how he can continue to get Hawthorn games when his bias is the worst kept secret in the AFL.

This. Umpires should have to nominate their team and are then blacklisted from adjudicating in said matches. It's becoming a joke with this bloke now.

And if you're nominated team plays in the GF? Tough.

Also not a fan of ex-players or ex-officials commentating on games involving their club - but that's another thread.

Unfortunately, this was a game decided by bad umpiring decisions. The two free goals given to Hawthorn in the first quarter were the difference between the two sides. They were the controlling feature in how the game was played afterwards. Very sad. There were other umpiring mistakes, but none as defining as these.
There are more general umpiring problems very visible in this game that are addressable, where mistakes are not.
1. Players held off the ball and prevented from involving themselves in play. This happens all the time, so that on the rare occasions that it is penalized, it seems unfair to the offender because everyone else has gotten away with it. Requires only a directive to enforce the rules.
2. Players spoiled in marking contests dragged away from the ball "in the act of spoiling". This is a coached tactic and should be a free kick under point 1 above.
3. Shepherding when the ball is not within 5 metres. Endemic. Happens both in general play and marking contests. Has always been a free, but is rarely paid these days.
4. Holding the ball. Players allowed to try and barge through tackles instead of being required to dispose of the ball as soon as they are tackled. Comparing this game to some from the nineties that I have just rewatched shows an enormous change in the way this rule is interpreted. It does not help.
5. Allowing a player to stand close to an opponent on the infield side when the man on the mark is much more distant in front. Effectively changes the mark point. The player to the side should have to be as far away as the man on the mark.
6. It should be fifty metres for shepherding the man on the mark. Retaking the kick disadvantages the kicker.
7. A player in general play gets 7 seconds to dispose of the ball or he has to play on. Having a set shot, he gets 30, but can still play on if he wants to. In fairness, if a player takes the 30, he should have to kick over the mark. Play on within the 7 if he wants to do that.

670px-Melt-Butter-Step-4-Version-2.jpg

There needs to be an after game cooling off lockout period for starting threads in the umpiring board.
After reflecting on your comment I agree a cool head should prevail, after all it is only a game.
Supporters have no right to expect umpires to officiate in a professional manner, they are the only reason the game exists and to expect them to demand transparency, integrity and professionalism in those that control our game is unreasonable!

Whatever the reason for the appalling umpiring decisions that influenced this game an inquiry should be conducted to determine the reason why umpires favoured Hawthorn.
Maybe some of the following may come to light?

Did umpires collude with others to fix this game?
Was the AFL involved?
Was this debacle a result of corrupt game fixing?

The outcome may find that the umpires where nothing more than incompetent, if so the competency of the umpires boss should be questioned. If this standard of umpiring is the best the AFL can provide our game is in big trouble.

To the 40,000 Fremantle supporters who paid a lot of money to attend this game they should demand a refund, as the game unfolded it appeared that the result was already decided.
Any review of the game will give a 5 goal advantage to Hawthorn directly attributed to perceived biased umpiring decisions.
When the game was won the free kick count was 8 - 2 in favour of Hawthorn with 2 gift goals and a non decision that probably cost Fremantle a goal.

While I condemn disgraceful crowd behaviour by any sporting fan I suspect the appalling umpiring decisions infuriated a lot of supporters.

Hawthorn won, where they the best team? If Fremantle had won this game with the same assistance from umpires it would have been a very hollow victory giving little satisfaction.

It is illegal for any employee of the AFL including clubs, players and coaches to criticize umpires, it is up to football supporters to restore the integrity of our game by demanding transparency and professionalism. Maybe some investigative journalist with balls and a passion for football can determine if the perceived corruption in our game exists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back