The AFLTM 2015 Trade Period Review & Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

#29 Gippsland Sharks trade Sam Mayes (325/3) to St Kilda Titans for Stewart Crameri (247/2)
An interesting trade to analyse this one as we have two vastly different players traded in a straight swap. Mayes is a young midfielder whoose career has stalled slightly, but still shows an ability to rack up the odd big score when on song. At just 21 years of age their is still plenty more time for Mayes to improve his game.

Crameri gives the Sharks another key forward and has an average score higher than Mayes' in 2015. At 27 though he has probably reached his peak and will never be a large scorer but will always be a viable key forward option and likely best 18 starter every week for the Sharks.

On face value, you would take a higher scoring key forward every day of the week, but with a fairly large discrepancy in age and vastly different roles it is really hard to judge this one. Both teams get what they need in this trade and there really is no loser. I'm a big fan of Mayes though and feel he will become a solid fantasy scorer in the future so on my bias alone I would name St Kilda as the winners in this one if forced to pick.

#28 Melbourne trade Daniel Wells (158/1) to Western Vultures for Brad McKenzie (196/1) and pick 62
Two midfielders who struggled for games for two vastly different reasons switch clubs in this trade. McKenzie is the much younger of the two and has shown gimpses but is a fringe player who has had limited opportunities. Wells is a former star who is fading quickly due to injury but if near peak fitness will be in the best 22 every day of the week due to the zip and run he provides.

If form/injury doesn't improve for either player in 2016 then it may be the last season for both. Wells has more runs on the board however and has shown he can score well in the past and as such the Vultures appear to be the winners in this trade. With a one year deal offered to the veteran the risk of Wells being injured again is well worth it.
Because he was a veteran I would have been paying $400,000ish. There's no way I would have kept him on for that.

Free pick and player for me.

Because he was a veteran I would have been paying $400,000ish. There's no way I would have kept him on for that.

Free pick and player for me.

Yep. And for me, pick #62 was never going to feature for me in the draft. It was essentially Wells for McKenzie.

#30 Ballarat Dragons trade Mark Whiley (225/2), Shane Kersten (227/2), Daniel Gorringe (182/2) and Pick 40 to Gippsland Sharks for Darren Minchington (122/1)

Described by fightingfury_88 as a "salary/player dump", Continstar's Sharks pick up Mark Whiley, a tackle machine for the Blues who began to find a spot late in 2015, Shane Kersten, Geelong's current #2 tall forward (until Clark and Vardy return), Daniel Gorringe, whom teams in his home state refused to touch and pick 40 for 5-gamer Saint Darren Minchington.

As I well know, additional list spots and salary can make all the difference, and if in other trades you can add extra players/picks, you pick up your list numbers very quickly.

The Sharks clearly leading on paper, but completely understandable given the Dragons' want to clear space. If any of the players moving to the Sharks break out, Continstar is on the winner.

#31 Dragon Island Southerners trade Travis Varcoe (300/2) and pick 68 to Gold Coast Devils for Trent McKenzie (400/4), Luke Tapscott (135/1) and pick 39

Trent McKenzie is the straw that will make or break this trade in my opinion. Had huge raps on him as he was one of the 17yo's picked up by the fledgling Suns. He started as a midfielder, but was quickly moved to half back and behind kick out duties due to his cannon left boot. Broke out, somewhat, in his 3rd year 2013, but has since stalled. Is still only 23 so his best is to come, and I've backed him in to find what is required to become elite.

Travis Varcoe had his own break out season in 2015, averaging more disposals and marks than at any time in his previous 8 AFL seasons. Will never be elite, but his numbers were worthy of a starting point for the majority of the season.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how sausageroll swindled me into taking Tapscott off his hands as well, but to get McKenzie and a large pick upgrade, I felt it was pretty even.

#32 Western Vultures trade Zac Clarke (336/3) to Brisbane Bears for pick 41

Clarke is an interesting proposition for Presti_is_god. While Freo can't seem to choose whether to play him or Griffin, Clarke got the upper hand in 2015 and managed to hold it for the large part of the year. When Sandi (eventually) retires, given his age, Clarke will likely take up the #1 ruck spot.

Pick 41, to me, is a fair trade for sante.
Yeah this trade just made so much sense. Having both Clarke and Griffin on my list will mean I'll always have that ruck spot filled, and #41 was pretty fair I thought.

#31 Dragon Island Southerners trade Travis Varcoe (300/2) and pick 68 to Gold Coast Devils for Trent McKenzie (400/4), Luke Tapscott (135/1) and pick 39

Trent McKenzie is the straw that will make or break this trade in my opinion. Had huge raps on him as he was one of the 17yo's picked up by the fledgling Suns. He started as a midfielder, but was quickly moved to half back and behind kick out duties due to his cannon left boot. Broke out, somewhat, in his 3rd year 2013, but has since stalled. Is still only 23 so his best is to come, and I've backed him in to find what is required to become elite.

Travis Varcoe had his own break out season in 2015, averaging more disposals and marks than at any time in his previous 8 AFL seasons. Will never be elite, but his numbers were worthy of a starting point for the majority of the season.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how sausageroll swindled me into taking Tapscott off his hands as well, but to get McKenzie and a large pick upgrade, I felt it was pretty even.
For me it was about freeing up an extra list spot (Tapscott) plus extra salary to bid hard for what I was hoping would be two better players, plus getting Varcoe as well. Before this I only had one list spot available and had more than enough salary for any single player in the game so this gave me a second free spot plus an extra $235k to spend on that second player. Unfortunately time ran out for me to secure the 2 bidding targets.

Had I known bidding would go the way it did I would have kept McKenzie and the pick, and just delisted Tapscott. But having said that, McKenzie was really bad last season so I view Varcoe as a much safer bet this season.
I really don't know what to think of McKenzie at the moment. Looked like a deadset gun for a while, but looked totally lost this season. I think he's better suited to SC than DT scoring anyway, even if he does bounce back in 2016 (and it wouldn't surprise me if he does).

In the end I lost McKenzie + pick 39 for Varcoe + pick 68, so I currently feel like I've lost out here seeing the point of the trade was entirely focused on the players I ended up losing the opportunity to win in bidding. Had we not lost the week of bidding this trade would have been perfect. At worst I would have come away with an extra gun plus an excellent depth player. The value of the pieces invloved wouldn't have changed, but the value of the trade itself for the overall quality of my squad would have been unquestionable.

#32 Western Vultures trade Zac Clarke (336/3) to Brisbane Bears for pick 41

Clarke is an interesting proposition for Presti_is_god. While Freo can't seem to choose whether to play him or Griffin, Clarke got the upper hand in 2015 and managed to hold it for the large part of the year. When Sandi (eventually) retires, given his age, Clarke will likely take up the #1 ruck spot.

Pick 41, to me, is a fair trade for sante.

In hindsight I didn't need to make this trade. I did it for cap space which I ended up not using as bids were all over the place. Pick 41 ended up moving on for Matt Shaw so I if I look at it as Shaw for Clarke is a bit more in my favour as I have a ready made player instead of the kid I would have drafted with 41.

#33 Harbour City Hornets trade Chris Yarran (225/2) and pick 38 to St Kilda Titans for Nick Smith (204/2) and Dean Kent (152/1)
Yarran had a shocker of a year in 2015 that saw him dropped from the senior team at stages and the whole year clearly demoralised the exciting flanker. Despite this, he still averaged close to 70 points per game, which actually isn't all that far from his usual average. Expect him to bounce back somewhat with his new club. St Kilda should be able to expect a little over 70 points per game from their new recruit. Yarran however has shown in the past to have the odd blinder mixed in with the odd shocker, if Yarran learns a little consistency his average should rise. Pick 38 may be able to net St Kilda a handy young player but don't expect any immediate impact from the player picked with this selection.

Nick Smith, despite being a stopper first and foremost also averages close to 70. He will be picked every week by the Hornets in the knowledge that he will give you that 60-70 points every week. That's about his limit though and at 27 years of age it's not likely to change anytime soon. Dean Kent is an interesting addition for Harbour City. An injury early in 2015 really ruined his season and with the addition of more young talent we do not yet know just how secure Kent's position is in the Melbourne lineup.

Like most trades it's a tough one to grade. Maybe it's my Richmond bias showing through but I think we may just see a bounce back year from Yarran. His best can be brilliant and he has a greater scoring potential and is younger than Smith. That, combined with the uncertainty of Kent's place in the team has me leaning towards St Kilda winning this trade. However if Kent returns as a regular in the Demons side and posts some handy scores then my outlook on this trade may change very quickly.

#34 Melbourne trade Levi Greenwood (452/3) and pick 51 to Wagga Wagga Warthogs for Cam McCarthy (425/5) and Orazio Fantasia (219/3)
Both teams net something good out of this trade. Melbourne get an up and coming young key forward in McCarthy (even though he is on-traded later) and a an extra depth forward in Fantasia while Wagga Wagga pick up the potentially high scoring midfielder in Greenwood. Even better for both parties is that all the players are on relatively cheapish contracts.

Greenwood struggled with injury in 2015 but showed the year before that he has what it takes to be one of the better midfield options in the game. McCarthy as a key forward is naturally a lower scorer than Greenwood and will take a while to develop as well but showed this season that he will be sticking around as a key forward in the league for quite some time.

The potential is there for McCarthy to become one of the better key forwards in the game and may yet turn out to be a bargain get on his contract, but any time you can pick up a player who has recently averaged over 100 for the course of an entire season without giving up a premium scorer in return then you have to be happy, which is why I mark Wagga Wagga as the winners in this trade.

#33 Harbour City Hornets trade Chris Yarran (225/2) and pick 38 to St Kilda Titans for Nick Smith (204/2) and Dean Kent (152/1)
Yarran had a shocker of a year in 2015 that saw him dropped from the senior team at stages and the whole year clearly demoralised the exciting flanker. Despite this, he still averaged close to 70 points per game, which actually isn't all that far from his usual average. Expect him to bounce back somewhat with his new club. St Kilda should be able to expect a little over 70 points per game from their new recruit. Yarran however has shown in the past to have the odd blinder mixed in with the odd shocker, if Yarran learns a little consistency his average should rise. Pick 38 may be able to net St Kilda a handy young player but don't expect any immediate impact from the player picked with this selection.

Nick Smith, despite being a stopper first and foremost also averages close to 70. He will be picked every week by the Hornets in the knowledge that he will give you that 60-70 points every week. That's about his limit though and at 27 years of age it's not likely to change anytime soon. Dean Kent is an interesting addition for Harbour City. An injury early in 2015 really ruined his season and with the addition of more young talent we do not yet know just how secure Kent's position is in the Melbourne lineup.

Like most trades it's a tough one to grade. Maybe it's my Richmond bias showing through but I think we may just see a bounce back year from Yarran. His best can be brilliant and he has a greater scoring potential and is younger than Smith. That, combined with the uncertainty of Kent's place in the team has me leaning towards St Kilda winning this trade. However if Kent returns as a regular in the Demons side and posts some handy scores then my outlook on this trade may change very quickly.

A like for a like type trade. Yarran will benefit being at Richmond i reckon. I had Yarran last year so he returns to me, was a reluctant trade because i think he can play. Anywhere between 70 and 80 a game average I'll be happy with. Kent would never have featured in my team and I was in need of another draft pick at the time. Win win for both teams I think.

Yeah Yarran was a constant source of frustration for me last year, in the 18 he'd score 50ish as sub about the same on the bench 70+ and I think on two occasions I had him on the bench he scored 100+, then when I'd watch him play (yeah I watched Carlton play football for the laughs) he'd score soemthing like 40 - 50 points in the 1st quarter, hut then go missing for the rest of the match and end up with something in the mid 60's, then with suspensions and getting dropped from Carlton I'd had enough. Whilst I acknowledge he was traded to Richmond in the off-season my faith in him is not high.

Nick Smith as a replacement I think is more than adequate, All Australian backman, so is best 22 at Sydney and will play most games, he has blossomed of late (has been known to rotate through the midfield) and year on year his numbers keep getting better (however I didn't realise he was 27 :oops:) so I think I got a decent deal.

St Kilda asked me to take another player as part of the deal and acknowledge Kent is a bit of a risk, hence the 1 year only deal, but his season this year was wrecked through hamstring injuries, 2013 & 2014 he posted solid numbers, but with my list a risk I could take for low cost but reasonable reward (hopefully)

Pick 38 ShaunDuggan traded back to me just before the close of trading in the mega 31 for 36 & 38 deal, so I guess at the end of the day it was Yarran & 31 for N Smith, Kent & 36 which sways it back a little in my favour :cool:

All in all a trade where both players feel like they've come out on top is a good trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was a triple trade for me, but single trades for Marklar_33 and Presti_is_god.

#35 Dragon Island Southerners trade Dane Swan (798/1) and pick 43 to Launceston for picks 14 and 35

Everyone knows how much Marklar loves Dane. He jokingly messaged me after the blow up in the off-season thread, thinking to just ease some tension. He clearly wasn't aware that I would be willing to trade Swan to him as Rockliff was who I really wanted out of the trade with Wagga. I split this trade up so we all could come out of the trade feeling happy. So this first trade needs to be looked at in addition to the third part.

I saw Swan as steak knives in the Rockliff trade. He has 1, maybe 2 years left, and while he'll still average 100+ during that time, he only needs one bad injury (more likely given he's 30+) and his career is over. I couldn't justify the salary he was on.

#36 Dragon Island Southerners trade Jack Crisp (407/3), Jayden Laverde (260/2) and pick 14 to Brisbane Bears for Anthony Miles (700/4), Stephen Hill (497/3), picks 54 and 59

14 Was a necessary part of this trade, gained from Marklar. Presti was looking at trading out some cap, and I was looking for some higher scoring midfielders. Miles and Hill both average ~90 when switched on, and both have done so as part of very strong midfield groups, so little risk is involved despite Miles' hefty price tag (thanks bffl :mad:).

At least 8 people enquired after Crisp. As he was so cheap, and high scoring, I was loathe to let him go. However an obvious point made by Marklar in our discussion about Swan made me sit back and think on Crisp's prospects in 2016. When Greenwood returned in 2015, Crisp's output dropped. Not a lot, but I noticed it. They brought in Treloar and Aish during trade week, and De Goey is a year more mature. Crisp may bite me next year, but I can see him slipping slightly down the pecking order at the Pies. As a result, I decided to use him as bait in this trade, which I'm very, very happy with.

#37 Dragon Island Southerners trade pick 54 to Launceston for Mav Weller (260/5)

As I said above, this needs to be viewed in totality with the Swan trade. I pushed hard for Weller who had a promising 2015. I feel he will continue to develop in 2016 and will become a prime mover for the Saints.

Summary:
Southerners gain: Miles, Hill, Weller, 35 and 59; lose: Crisp, Laverde, Swan, 43 and 54
Launceston gain: Swan, 43 and 54; lose: Weller, 14 and 35
Bears gain: Crisp, Laverde and 14 ; lose: Miles, Hill, 54 and 59

This was a triple trade for me, but single trades for Marklar_33 and Presti_is_god.

#35 Dragon Island Southerners trade Dane Swan (798/1) and pick 43 to Launceston for picks 14 and 35

Everyone knows how much Marklar loves Dane. He jokingly messaged me after the blow up in the off-season thread, thinking to just ease some tension. He clearly wasn't aware that I would be willing to trade Swan to him as Rockliff was who I really wanted out of the trade with Wagga. I split this trade up so we all could come out of the trade feeling happy. So this first trade needs to be looked at in addition to the third part.

I saw Swan as steak knives in the Rockliff trade. He has 1, maybe 2 years left, and while he'll still average 100+ during that time, he only needs one bad injury (more likely given he's 30+) and his career is over. I couldn't justify the salary he was on.

#36 Dragon Island Southerners trade Jack Crisp (407/3), Jayden Laverde (260/2) and pick 14 to Brisbane Bears for Anthony Miles (700/4), Stephen Hill (497/3), picks 54 and 59

14 Was a necessary part of this trade, gained from Marklar. Presti was looking at trading out some cap, and I was looking for some higher scoring midfielders. Miles and Hill both average ~90 when switched on, and both have done so as part of very strong midfield groups, so little risk is involved despite Miles' hefty price tag (thanks bffl :mad:).

At least 8 people enquired after Crisp. As he was so cheap, and high scoring, I was loathe to let him go. However an obvious point made by Marklar in our discussion about Swan made me sit back and think on Crisp's prospects in 2016. When Greenwood returned in 2015, Crisp's output dropped. Not a lot, but I noticed it. They brought in Treloar and Aish during trade week, and De Goey is a year more mature. Crisp may bite me next year, but I can see him slipping slightly down the pecking order at the Pies. As a result, I decided to use him as bait in this trade, which I'm very, very happy with.

#37 Dragon Island Southerners trade pick 54 to Launceston for Mav Weller (260/5)

As I said above, this needs to be viewed in totality with the Swan trade. I pushed hard for Weller who had a promising 2015. I feel he will continue to develop in 2016 and will become a prime mover for the Saints.

Summary:
Southerners gain: Miles, Hill, Weller, 35 and 59; lose: Crisp, Laverde, Swan, 43 and 54
Launceston gain: Swan, 43 and 54; lose: Weller, 14 and 35
Bears gain: Crisp, Laverde and 14 ; lose: Miles, Hill, 54 and 59

It's certainly not a trade I feel I've won, trading out so much for an old man, but the Premiership window is open so you've got to pay a price for that

#38 Port Adelaide trade Isaac Smith (500/4), Riley Knight (219/3) and pick 29 to Harbour City Hornets for Brendon Goddard (671/2), Chris Mayne (427/3) and pick 17

Going to have my first real whinge of the thread here. I really wanted Knight, and should've been smarter in my approach, to trade rather than bid. knobby picks up a real gem here, and if his final against the Dogs is any indication of what he can become, he has a steal as well. Sensible 3 year deal means he'll be cheap for the duration as well. The four year deal for Isaac Smith takes him past veteran age, and Smith would certainly be one worth keeping around in his latter career. A 26yo who will average 100+ for the next few years, and an improving youngster who will push 80 in 2016.

Brendon Goddard is a genuine elite who can play as a defender, midfielder or forward with no confusion. But he's clearly on the wrong side of 30. Will still be crucial to Essendon during their suspension times, but always up and down depending on his mood. Mayne is interesting as he could easily average over 90, but realistically will hover between 70 and 80. Overpriced IMO, at least he can play at FF if the need arises. Russian gains a little more stability for the next two years, plus a bit more salary and a higher draft pick.

On face value I'd prefer Knobby's side of the deal, though that may be the bias shining through my rose coloured glasses.

:D:p

Bit of an investment in the future this trade, was very happy with it.

Smith fixes up a bit of a problem in my team on the wing, if he plays every game like the GF I ill be stoked.
Knight relatively unknown outside SA but we both share the excitement we see in him Danoz ! Should develop into something quite nicely fingers crossed.

:D:p

Bit of an investment in the future this trade, was very happy with it.

Smith fixes up a bit of a problem in my team on the wing, if he plays every game like the GF I ill be stoked.
Knight relatively unknown outside SA but we both share the excitement we see in him Danoz ! Should develop into something quite nicely fingers crossed.
And so it was interesting Russian let him go. Though I'd expect as a Port supporter he either doesn't watch much Crow footy, or just doesn't rate him like we do.

And so it was interesting Russian let him go. Though I'd expect as a Port supporter he either doesn't watch much Crow footy, or just doesn't rate him like we do.
As bolded.
Although the "Port supporter" part could be substituted to supporters of any club that isn't the Crows ;)

As bolded.
Although the "Port supporter" part could be substituted to supporters of any club that isn't the Crows ;)
I watch as much footy as I can. I actually enjoy watching the paps. Especially when they lose ;) even to Essendon ;)

#39 Adelaide Lions trade Sam Reid (317/3) to Melbourne and pick 24 to Northern Reds, Northern Reds trade Sam Mitchell (639/1) and Fraser McInnes (134/1) to Melbourne and pick 13 to Adelaide Lions, Melbourne trade Nathan Krakouer (168/2) and pick 33 to Northern Reds
The first and only 3 way trade this season. It's a bit easier to analyse when you break it down as follows:

Adelaide Lions
Lose: Sam Reid and Pick 24
Gain: Pick 13

Adelaide continue to increase their draft strength by upgrading pick 24 to pick 13 while only giving up swingman Sam Reid. With plenty of KPP depth this is probably a break even trade for the Lions.

Northern Reds
Lose: Pick 13, Sam Mitchell, Fraser McInnes
Gain: Pick 24, Pick 33, Nathan Krakouer
The Reds lose their first pick as well as a premium scorer in Sam Mitchell and youngster Fraser McInnes just to gain a couple of later picks and Nathan Krakouer. Krakouer has shown promise in some games this season but Reds could have got so much more for Mitchell and/or pick 13.

Melbourne
Lose: Nathan Krakouer, Pick 33
Gain: Sam Reid ($317,000 - 3 years), Sam Mitchell ($639,000 - 1 year) and Fraser McInnes ($134,000 - 1 year)
Melbourne may lose Nathan Krakouer and a 2nd round pick but they are the big winners. Not only did they add premium scorer Sam Mitchell to their list but they also managed to snare a reliable swingman in Sam Reid and another fairly young key position prospect who has shown a bit in Fraser McInnes. Big win for Melbourne.

#40 Brisbane Bears trade Dion Prestia (378/1), picks 14 and 15 to Rottnest Razorbacks for Mark Blicavs (650/5), Michael Walters (300/5) and pick 10
Interesting trade this one with two potential premium players moving clubs. The bidding for Blicavs was heating up pretty rapidly and I have no doubt that prompted this trade for Rottnest. The big utility had a break out year in 2015 and is one of, if not, the only player who you could play in pretty much any position on the ground and the Bears will be very happy to add him to their list. Getting Prestia is a good get for Rottnest, he is on a cheaper contract then Blicavs and is probably the more reliable scorer of the two. Coming off a knee injury though it will be interesting to see how quickly he can get back to his best. Walters is also a good get; he will be a handy forward for the Bears. He won't score huge scores most weeks but his pressure in the forward line and consistent goal scoring should see him get around 60-70 points every week.

I rate Blicavs and Prestia pretty evenly (perhaps Prestia just shades Blicavs) so to me this trade comes down to whether you prefer Walters and Pick 10 or Picks 14 and 15. To me, I prefer Walters and 10 only because of the ability to sign Walters to a cheap long term deal. That, combined with Rottnest only signing Prestia to a one year deal sees me rating Brisbane as the winners in this trade, but it's a fair trade for both clubs.

#41 Northern Reds trade Jarrad McVeigh (450/3) and Michael Johnson (342/1) to Gold Coast Devils for Chris Masten (455/2)
I like this trade for both teams as really helps each team go in the direction it wants. Jarrad McVeigh and Michael Johnson are both heading towards the end of their careers but both are reliable scorers for their positions. With Gold Coast pushing for back to back titles it makes sense to get as much points per possible now and this 2 for 1 trade will mean further class in the starting 18 or in the case of Michael Johnson, at the very least some handy depth in the hard to fill KPD role. McVeigh has been an underrated premium scorer for many years now and will continue to pump out a consistent tune each week for his new club.

Reds get what they want in this trade too. They manage to shed a little more salary, open up a list spot and manage to recruit a younger version of McVeigh in Chris Masten. Masten is not quite as a consistent performer as McVeigh but at 26 years of age the potential is there for Masten to become a 100 averaging midfielder.

In summary, no losers in this trade but if Gold Coast don't win a back to back title in 2016 then they slightly lose out due to the likelihood that one or both of Johnson and McVeigh will retire at the end of the season. It's a bold win now move for the Devils and you can't blame them for that.

#42 Rottnest Razorbacks trade Callum Sinclair (298/3), Scott Selwood (320/4), Jed Lamb (137/2), Hayden Crozier (146/1) and Daniel Nielsen (77/1) to Melbourne for Cam McCarthy (425/5), Colin Garland (233/1), Jon Giles (182/1), Jackson Merrett (335/3) and Alex Browne (113/2)

Let's face it, there's two guys here worth discussion. Sinclair is a really smart pick up for loopy_cam, and will be Sydney's number one ruck for the foreseeable future. McCarthy will be Fremantle's (and gym4life's) number one key forward in a few years, and will hold that spot for many years. He's a pick for the future, but will still be handy until he makes the move over.

Scooter has a chance to remake himself after moving to the cats, but to me is an also ran. Lamb could be anything, but so far has been nothing. Crozier has the chance in 2016 to step up, but is yet to show anything that says he will.

Garland is a solid key defender. Giles won't play a game in 2016. Merrett is the best of this lot, though is being paid a lot, and isn't as good as his brother.

A win-win trade here, for mine.

#41 Northern Reds trade Jarrad McVeigh (450/3) and Michael Johnson (342/1) to Gold Coast Devils for Chris Masten (455/2)
I like this trade for both teams as really helps each team go in the direction it wants. Jarrad McVeigh and Michael Johnson are both heading towards the end of their careers but both are reliable scorers for their positions. With Gold Coast pushing for back to back titles it makes sense to get as much points per possible now and this 2 for 1 trade will mean further class in the starting 18 or in the case of Michael Johnson, at the very least some handy depth in the hard to fill KPD role. McVeigh has been an underrated premium scorer for many years now and will continue to pump out a consistent tune each week for his new club.

Reds get what they want in this trade too. They manage to shed a little more salary, open up a list spot and manage to recruit a younger version of McVeigh in Chris Masten. Masten is not quite as a consistent performer as McVeigh but at 26 years of age the potential is there for Masten to become a 100 averaging midfielder.

In summary, no losers in this trade but if Gold Coast don't win a back to back title in 2016 then they slightly lose out due to the likelihood that one or both of Johnson and McVeigh will retire at the end of the season. It's a bold win now move for the Devils and you can't blame them for that.
This trade gave me awesome defensive depth and flexibility in defence to match my strength and depth in small forwards: Deledio, LeCras, Dahlhaus, Ziebell and Zorko.

McVeigh joins Shaw, Houli, Simpson and Hodge as top line defenders, with a number of others very capable of filling defensive positions if Hodge and McVeigh are required in the midfield.

Johnson slots in behind Gibson and Hurley in kpp positions, allowing Hurley to play as a key forward if any of my key forwards aren't performing.

Flexibility and depth are vital and this trade, along with the Vickery trade, has gone a long way toward covering anything short of a devastating injury list, while also improving my best 18.

I was trying to have Masten replaced in the trade by other players as I personally think he'll continue to improve and will almost certainly become a 100+ ppg player but unfortunately I had to give him up.
My focus is on this year though, and the two I gained will hopefully be significantly more valuable to me in 2016 than Masten alone. So for me, this was a trade I had to make.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back