The All-Encompassing Footy Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/how-the-judd-deal-works-20130225-2f26z.html

Carlton could have just developed a midfield in house around Murphy and developed Kennedy as a FF rather than letting him go to the Eagles.

It's all hindsight but I think the Judd deal has been a failure.
Carlton's acquisition of Judd worked well in getting news about the Blues and that a new era was about to start. Since 2008, Carlton did start to do better, but I think that peaked in 2011 when we came 5th. Carlton are now on the downslide.

Now Carlton need a Full-Forward. And I don't think Waite will be able to sustain that position over the course of a full year, especially with his injuries. And, West Coast have developed Kennedy well. He has kicked 225 goals in 102 games in Perth.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/how-the-judd-deal-works-20130225-2f26z.html

Carlton could have just developed a midfield in house around Murphy and developed Kennedy as a FF rather than letting him go to the Eagles.

It's all hindsight but I think the Judd deal has been a failure.
You're right. Champion player, been great for the club, but isn't exactly what Carlton needed.

Same with Thomas. Isn't exactly what Carlton needed.

I compare it to Goddard, he is exactly what Essendon needed and has been great for the club. If we were in the same position as Carlton and got him, I would be pretty annoyed with the club. But Essendon, should, be looking at Top 4, Grand Final position in 2-3 years time, and have a strong list to do so.

Champion player didn't turn Carlton into a champion team. Judd should have gone to Collingwood, or even Essendon, even though the same effect could have happened with Essendon. But he would have been a perfect for Collingwood and it would have been a scary midfield.

Carlton's acquisition of Judd worked well in getting news about the Blues and that a new era was about to start. Since 2008, Carlton did start to do better, but I think that peaked in 2011 when we came 5th. Carlton are now on the downslide.

Now Carlton need a Full-Forward. And I don't think Waite will be able to sustain that position over the course of a full year, especially with his injuries. And, West Coast have developed Kennedy well. He has kicked 225 goals in 102 games in Perth.
Carlton's money should have been spent on getting Cramers from Essendon, rather than Thomas. In hindsight.

Judd's effect on Carlton has been massively understated and there is a clear lack of knowledge from many within this thread. At the time of his acquisition, Carlton were in tatters. Yes, we had Murphy, Gibbs, Kennedy and the incoming number 1 draft pick which was used on Kruezer, but the problem stemmed so much deeper than that. None of our players knew how to win.

Brendan Fevola was one of our best leaders at the time Judd came in. ******* Brendan Fevola was the bloke to guide this young list. Does anybody need any reminding how much of a cancer he was off the field? We really should have traded him in the Judd deal. Unfortunately hindsight doesn't allow us to go back though, trading Kennedy was the right move at the time considering he was from WA.

There's a story I heard on the Carlton podcast that when Juddy first came to the club the playing group went out for lunch at a nice Lygon St establishment. I think it might have been during pre-season or even during the playing season. The time came to order, and our highly professional full forward Jarrad Waite ordered beer battered chips and a few pieces of fried flake. As soon as the food came out, Judd took one look at the fish and chips and sent it back to the kitchen. Made Waite order a salad instead.

Judd brought a desire to win and a decent culture to the club that was an absolute rabble for a very long time. People forget how truly bad we were after those salary cap problems.

The amount of money Judd is paid has * all influence on the impact Judd has made on Carlton, and if anyone still thinks he's been overpaid in his time with us I suggest you go look at highlights of 2009-11. He was inspirational in those years.

I can't believe Carlton still haven't managed to snag a key forward, draft or elsewhere. It's been several years that it's clearly something they are desperate for.
What's a key forward?

Judd was clearly brought in underdone. Have fun with Mick and Butters blue boys.

As for KPF. Both Carlton and Dogs have struggled with them, probably could say that at the other end as well. Would be interesting to see why they've struggled particularly in that department.

Judd was clearly brought in underdone. Have fun with Mick and Butters blue boys.

As for KPF. Both Carlton and Dogs have struggled with them, probably could say that at the other end as well. Would be interesting to see why they've struggled particularly in that department.
Poor drafting? Another hindsight issue, but why take Lucas over Talia? Didn't make sense then, doesn't make sense now.

The amount of money Judd is paid has **** all influence on the impact Judd has made on Carlton, and if anyone still thinks he's been overpaid in his time with us I suggest you go look at highlights of 2009-11. He was inspirational in those years.

And here I was thinking it was supposed to be Saints supporters that settle for mediocrity.

You're right. Champion player, been great for the club, but isn't exactly what Carlton needed.

Same with Thomas. Isn't exactly what Carlton needed.

I compare it to Goddard, he is exactly what Essendon needed and has been great for the club. If we were in the same position as Carlton and got him, I would be pretty annoyed with the club. But Essendon, should, be looking at Top 4, Grand Final position in 2-3 years time, and have a strong list to do so.

Champion player didn't turn Carlton into a champion team. Judd should have gone to Collingwood, or even Essendon, even though the same effect could have happened with Essendon. But he would have been a perfect for Collingwood and it would have been a scary midfield.

Only 1 problem with Essendon, their inconsistency!

Only 1 problem with Essendon, their inconsistency!
There is seriously a lot more problems with Essendon than their inconsistency. I'm not just saying that because you lost this weekend either.

You play well around the ground but your forward 50 entry is a joke. Bombing it long to the top of the goal square should be a last resort option rather than the go to. The good teams will hit targets inside 50 consistently. Plus playing soft as butter players like Jetta (but he can run fast!) will never get you far.

When the going gets tough in a crunch final Essendon will fold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is seriously a lot more problems with Essendon than their inconsistency. I'm not just saying that because you lost this weekend either.

You play well around the ground but your forward 50 entry is a joke. Bombing it long to the top of the goal square should be a last resort option rather than the go to. The good teams will hit targets inside 50 consistently. Plus playing soft as butter players like Jetta (but he can run fast!) will never get you far.

When the going gets tough in a crunch final Essendon will fold.

I also think it comes down to available personnel but yes, Essendon need more depth. Bellchambers back this week will help I think. So will the return of Winderlich and hopefully Goddard.

But coming off a 6 day break after a hot day in W.A against Fremantle and 8 players and the coach coming down with the flu didn't help.

I guess with essendon anything less than a 5-4 record when their Round 10 bye comes, is unacceptable.

And here I was thinking it was supposed to be Saints supporters that settle for mediocrity.
You are a real idiot. You say Judd's contract was useless and now you're talking about team success? Where in that post does it indicate I'm settling for mediocrity? Judd was brilliant but he can't help that the cattle around him couldn't deliver. Next time you want to talk football try to actually pay attention to what's being said instead of talking in generalities about s**t you have no idea about.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Poor drafting? Another hindsight issue, but why take Lucas over Talia? Didn't make sense then, doesn't make sense now.
Because our recruiting department is run by a bag of coconuts.

You are a real idiot. You say Judd's contract was useless and now you're talking about team success? Where in that post does it indicate I'm settling for mediocrity? Judd was brilliant but he can't help that the cattle around him couldn't deliver. Next time you want to talk football try to actually pay attention to what's being said instead of talking in generalities about s**t you have no idea about.

That's the 2nd time you've called me an idiot. The first one I let slide. This time I'm going to pull you up. It's poor form and not becoming of any poster here in the SFA. Save the insults for Bay13.

Judd might have been brilliant but it didn't put Carlton in the top 4 or get them deep into the finals. If what they're rebuilding by sacking Fevola was the culture then that's fair but there was always pressure for more success and that's why Ratten was moved on.

That's the 2nd time you've called me an idiot. The first one I let slide. This time I'm going to pull you up. It's poor form and not becoming of any poster here in the SFA. Save the insults for Bay13.

Judd might have been brilliant but it didn't put Carlton in the top 4 or get them deep into the finals. If what they're rebuilding by sacking Fevola was the culture then that's fair but there was always pressure for more success and that's why Ratten was moved on.
And that's the 3rd time you've completely flip flopped on your point and spouted off crap with no real basis. I will continue to call you an idiot as long as you continue to display the intelligence of an idiot. You can report me if you'd like though.

Ratten was moved on because Malthouse was available. The board saw a list riddled with high draft picks, a year of no finals after the coach proclaimed top 4 or bust, and a premiership coach who just 2 years earlier had built what was supposed to be a team capable of a dynasty. Ratten was not moved on because Judd couldn't carry the team to a premiership after dumping Fevola.

The team would have imploded much earlier had we kept Fevola. Do you have any information or insight related to the discussion or are you going to continue to spout off baseless claims and conjecture?

And that's the 3rd time you've completely flip flopped on your point and spouted off crap with no real basis. I will continue to call you an idiot as long as you continue to display the intelligence of an idiot. You can report me if you'd like though.

Ratten was moved on because Malthouse was available. The board saw a list riddled with high draft picks, a year of no finals after the coach proclaimed top 4 or bust, and a premiership coach who just 2 years earlier had built what was supposed to be a team capable of a dynasty. Ratten was not moved on because Judd couldn't carry the team to a premiership after dumping Fevola.

The team would have imploded much earlier had we kept Fevola. Do you have any information or insight related to the discussion or are you going to continue to spout off baseless claims and conjecture?

At the time Carlton tried to get Paul Roos. They were obviously unsuccessful. They then went for next best thing at the time, Malthouse.

Ratten was moved on due to very inconsistent form and not really improving at all. He wasn't moved on due to other ex coaches being available.

At the time Carlton tried to get Paul Roos. They were obviously unsuccessful. They then went for next best thing at the time, Malthouse.

Ratten was moved on due to very inconsistent form and not really improving at all. He wasn't moved on due to other ex coaches being available.
Yeah I alluded to that in the promises of top 4 in 2012 and then subsequently missing finals. Obviously there were plenty of factors outside of Malthouse's availability.

Yeah I alluded to that in the promises of top 4 in 2012 and then subsequently missing finals. Obviously there were plenty of factors outside of Malthouse's availability.

I'm glad you have finally realised it and have backed away from your antagonistic ways with this topic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back