The annual argument - Melbourne needs a priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
People are missing how HISTORICALLY ******* AWFUL Melbourne have been. I can safely say they have improved out of sight in 2014, and that has gotten them a grand total of two extra wins and the same ladder position.

Was for it last year. But you're on the right track now, you'll get another top 5 with your first rounder this season, maybe two if Chip leaves, plus you've actually got some talent on your list now.

Stratton_Gun

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 4, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
I would say Melbourne have made big improvements. They are at least competitive this year and the players look like they are trying.
Moot point as they won't (nor should) get a PP

I am Jack

Premiership Player
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Team GGG Golovkin
The Demons don't need a PP.
The AFL shouldn't give another PP out, because no side will qualify more than Melbourne have over the past couple years.

But IMO the priority pick should be abolished, because there is no clear guidelines in place for a PP.
All the AFL say is that it will be given out as to their discretion.
This company can't even get the draw right, they cannot get anything right - why PP should be left to the discretion of the AFL is beyond me.
Priority pick abolished or given out on results based over 3-4 years.

the dog's kennel

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2007
The Land of Baileys
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This thread makes me sick.

Literally all year we've had to put up with the Roos-y sideshow in the media about how awesome Melbourne are this year. And now we're talking about priority picks for them?

Euuuggghhh!!

If you're competitive, you don't need priority picks.

Jason K

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
Henley Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Deserve? Wrong word to use for a start. If Melbourne can't get it right with the free kicks they've been given, then they DESERVE to stay down the bottom.

It's your attitude that has the club in this position to start with. While other clubs are head down, bum up, working thier asses off to get better, Melbourne were tanking for #1 draft picks and trying to find the easy way up the ladder. If you as a supporter haven't changed that mindset, how do you expect that the core of your club will change.

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
saints are in a far worse state and look to be going no where but lets give the dee's another #1 pick
Brisbane lost 4 of its best up and coming stars and development at the club is no where insight but lets give the dee's another #1 pick
the demons are going to get a 1st round compo pick for frawley........let's give them another #1 pick.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I gotta say as a Dees supporter obviously I wouldnt say no to another top 5 pick but honestly what club would say no if they were given the chance to argue for one

Lets be honest, If this melbourne side doesnt qualify for one then no team should ever qualify for one ever again, last year we were literally ten goals down at half time in most games and I almost gave up watching footy
This year we have had the dramatic improvement to the point that we are equal bottom on 4 wins

In saying all of this should we get one? No

Im sure we will take R'Okeefe and Possibly N.Malceski whilst still having two top 5 picks and another decent second and 3rd which will also be bundled into a trade possibly for malco

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
I'm not sure if this is a troll thread...
Melbourne have been given hand out after hand out. Their list is actually looking pretty good now as well, I wouldn't be surprised to see them play finals in 2016. No team deserves a P.P this season especially not Melbourne, Brisbane (who had a mass exodus of young talent) or Saints (who are currently bottom and will be losing Nroo, Hayes and Montagna over this season and next) are certainly more worthy than Melbourne if a P.P was to be handed out though, which it shouldn't be.

21 or under:
Dom Tyson
Jack Viney
Jimmy Toumpas
Jesse Hogan
Jay-Kennedy Harris
Christian Salem

There is 2 gun midfielders, Toumpas who could still be a gun (was taken ahead of Macrae, Wines and Mayes), a 10 year KPF In Hogan (looks a real talent) who I would die to have at the Western Bulldogs and two gun small forwards?

Won't even mention other high draft picks like Watts (#1) and Trengrove (#2) who are only 23 and 22 respectively.

Then they will probably end up with picks #3 and #4 (Frawley compensation) where they will be able to draft another future gun KPF prospect in Wright to pair up with Hogan for the next 10 years at CHF and FF, did i mention I'd kill for either of those guys at the dogs? Oh and then the best/second best midfielder in Brayshaw with pick #4 (assuming McCarting goes at #1 and Petracca at #2) who should make an immediate impact.

And you want pick #1 as well? Keep dreaming...

Last edited:

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
With home games v Brisbane and GWS to come, Melbourne may well go from 2 wins to 6 and a percentage of 54 to 75-80, in the new coach's first year. More than a bit cheeky to ask for a handout.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

J Freeloader

Senior List
Oct 20, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
This thread makes me sick.

Literally all year we've had to put up with the Roos-y sideshow in the media about how awesome Melbourne are this year. And now we're talking about priority picks for them?

Euuuggghhh!!

If you're competitive, you don't need priority picks.

Take a deep breath. I see one MFC guy asking for this and many others disagreeing. Add me to that list.

No more PPs. We rebuild and succeed through better practice on and off field. While it may not show on the ladder we are a far better club now than we've been in a while.

Enough charity.

Final Siren

Mr Squiggle
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
People are missing how HISTORICALLY ******* AWFUL Melbourne have been. I can safely say they have improved out of sight in 2014, and that has gotten them a grand total of two extra wins and the same ladder position.
This is true, but it's an argument for why Melbourne should have got a PP last year. Since they didn't, it's hard to argue they should now that they've "improved out of sight."

Of course it can still happen if the AFL has no problem admitting they made a mistake last year and AHAHAHAHA excuse me *wipes tear*

Final Siren

Mr Squiggle
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
With home games v Brisbane and GWS to come, Melbourne may well go from 2 wins to 6 and a percentage of 54 to 75-80, in the new coach's first year. More than a bit cheeky to ask for a handout.
Not as cheeky as St. Kilda!

2009: Grand Final
2010: Grand Final x2
2011: Finals
2012: 9th
2013: trades out top players, 16th
2014: "PP please"

Final Siren

Mr Squiggle
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
And I would hope that the AFL will recognize this combination of factors and suggest that rather than 08-09 or Hawthorn and Collingwood in the mid 2000s, this Melbourne side could actually do with a helping hand.
It's pointless comparing it to the old days, because the whole philosophy has changed. There's no doubt that teams in far better shape than Melbourne was last year have received priority picks. Collingwood in particular got a PP two years after successive Grand Finals (and bounced right back into the finals the next year), and they weren't that bad when they got one in 1999, either.

But those days are gone.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
We may not be finals contenders this year, but that was never what this year was about. This year was about the club turning over a new leaf, it was about creating a foundation that the team could build on and deliver hope to the supporters that in the coming years we might just see some September action. Most of all though, this year was about earning respect back. And I do not want to see that respect that has been earned over the past twelve months be pissed away on a priority pick that would piss on everything the club set out to prove this year.

Excellent post. Melbourne has earned back respect this year and will continue to do so. There are a number of encouraging signs for you for next year as well.

The bolded section is most critical - these transitions take time. Kids take a while to develop into AFL players and learn the new structures. Port were down for a long time before rising up, the Dogs have had 3 lean years and are only just starting to play some attractive football. Melbourne were down as low as you could go, the rebuild is not going to happen overnight...

But if you stay the course, it will happen.

Demons have improved this year, that's obvious. The idea that they should get more assistance from the AFL which would then effect the team I supports drafting and rebuilding shits me.

Then explain to us how we managed to pick up Honeychurch at 60. Talia at 32. Campbell with a rookie pick. Dahlhaus was a rookie pick. Roughead at 32. Hrovat at 21.

Sure the F/S was huge for us, but we got two players out of it, and we would have got one of them with our 1st pick even if we didn't have F/S, so we would have missed out on one player. And we also ****** up big time with Cordy as pick 14 F/S, our draft in 2009 which included Howard at 15. But it's a lot of other players, some high draft picks, some not, which are also contributing to the team in a big way. Because recently, we've nailed our drafting (apart from Fuller) because we got better talent identification, and better development. Which is what you need, not more picks.

Look, I don't support the idea of a priority pick for us - for me the focus for us should always have been on improving our player development (which is happening under Roos, we haven't had one player go backwards this year really).

With the picks we've had, we were always going to get talented players - possibly not the most talented at that choice due to recruiting errors IMO (think Toumpas over Wines/Stringer/Macrae - who at the time of the draft I would have preferred), but still guys who should have long AFL careers (let alone guys like Watts and Trengove who almost all clubs would have taken top 3-4 I'd imagine).

But, we've also had plenty of solid picks outside the first round - Tom McDonald (#50 odd), Dean Kent (#50 odd), Rohan Bail (#60 odd), Nev Jetta (#60 odd), Jeremy Howe (#30 odd), etc, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back