The "Annual" Good Friday football discussion thread

Are you happy for football to be played on Good Friday?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of Victorian based suggestions/discussions are due to the RCH appeal is massive in Victoria on Good Friday and the opportunity to raise lots of money for them on the day by playing the game

That's fair enough, and it's a good reason to have it in Victoria.

That's not to say that the RCH appeal couldn't continue, and that a game outside of Victoria could also raise money for charity if that's what the AFL wants on this particular day.

24 hours ago I couldn't have given a s**t about Essendon playing on Good Friday or not...

The fact that we are now leading contenders to get another marquee game and the subsequent bitching, whinging & moaning from everybody else is brilliant and totally swayed my opinion.

Hope the AFL & Etihad Stadium give the game to their most loyal and financially rewarding club.

The AFL run a business not a competition. At the end of the day the decision will be purely based on and for commercial reasons. Therefore, I can't see the dogs, Melb, north or the saints getting the gig unfortunately.
which sadly isnt the way the AFL should be run but has definitely been that way in recent years

The game has to be a blockbuster, north and the dogs don't fit the criteria IMO, if the main purpose of the game is to raise money for the kids then Collingwood simply has to be involved.

Collingwood-Carlton-Essendon-Richmond didn't become popular because of Friday night prime time slots, those clubs were popular way before Friday night football-Anzac day-Dreamtime, I get the feeling North and dogs fans think those big 4 clubs get a leg up through blockbusters etc etc but they were already much more popular prior to Television blockbusters.

I think it's a bit selfish for smaller clubs expecting the slot when the main purpose of the day should be to raise money for charity.
If this doesn't qualify as the epitome of the "me too", queue jumpers, I don't know what does.
I agree mate.

Brayshaw is a disgrace.
You do know that the very idea of the game being one that contributes to a charity cause that came from us, right? It's not guaranteed that any other clubs would necessarily have done so. They may have, but credit where credit's due.

I don't really care if we play on good friday or not as long as there is footy on. Melbourne vs Collingwood queen's birthday games aren't exactly mega drawing games so not sure why there would be a requirement that this be a sell-out game.

I would play one during the day in Melbourne and one at night for a fuxtell game for the heathens interstate.

No worries - give it to Essendon, Collingwood, whoever.

BUT - at the same time, ALL gate revenue, from ALL home and away games is pooled and distributed evenly amongst the clubs.

If the AFL continues to insist on contrived, disproportionate "fixturing" - it can also share the windfall that generates dead-set evenly amongst its' constituents.
It does. It's called disequal funding which amounts to compensation for inequities in the fixture, amongst other things. It gets called "handouts" by the uneducated or trolling BF hordes.

Furthermore, the inequalities through the Etihad stadium deal are actually more far reaching than has previously been acknowledged and a review should see this funding shift even further.

It does. It's called disequal funding which amounts to compensation for inequities in the fixture, amongst other things. It gets called "handouts" by the uneducated or trolling BF hordes.

Furthermore, the inequalities through the Etihad stadium deal are actually more far reaching than has previously been acknowledged and a review should see this funding shift even further.

Melbourne would be the highest recipient of disequal funding since all the extra money they have thrown at them for fines they can't pay and sacking staff and they have the Queen's Birthday game, they are also subsidised by the MCC so everyone playing at the MCG is assisting them.

If this doesn't qualify as the epitome of the "me too", queue jumpers, I don't know what does.

You do know that the very idea of the game being one that contributes to a charity cause that came from us, right? It's not guaranteed that any other clubs would necessarily have done so. They may have, but credit where credit's due.
Please enlighten me why North should be given a stand alone game on a public Holliday? Maybe if your fans showed up to your watch your games you might have a point, but unfortunately they do not.

And if you want to talk about charity, a Collingwood-Carlton game would raise considerably more than your club V anyone, is your club really in a position to donate all gate takings from the day to the RCHA? I think not.

Wow. So it's a catholic thing is it? It has never occurred in schools, kindergartens, scouts groups, YMCA, girl guides, Anglican, Lutheran, Baptist, Hindu, Muslim churches, let alone in many thousands of Australian families? It has very probably happened in your own street. Paedophilia is purely a catholic thing is it?!

Dunno, maybe it's just the wilful blindness and systematic cover-ups that are a Catholic thing.

Please enlighten me why North should be given a stand alone game on a public Holliday? Maybe if your fans showed up to your watch your games you might have a point, but unfortunately they do not.

And if you want to talk about charity, a Collingwood-Carlton game would raise considerably more than your club V anyone, is your club really in a position to donate all gate takings from the day to the RCHA? I think not.

The small clubs arent in for the gate takes but the exposure, highly publicised match with no other on at the same time. Club sponsors would also be happy for this. Why shouldnt the club who came up with the idea get a go at it? north have done well on this issue, collingwood already get lots of big matches

It would be nice if the dogs got good friday so then at least id be able to enjoy a friday night game, we havent had a single one in 2 years...

In the last 10 years the WB played 18 home and 12 away games on a Friday night and NM have played 16 home games and 6 away games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The small clubs arent in for the gate takes but the exposure, highly publicised match with no other on at the same time. Club sponsors would also be happy for this. Why shouldnt the club who came up with the idea get a go at it? north have done well on this issue, collingwood already get lots of big matches
I'm all for clubs getting what they deserve, at this point in time the roos-Dogs don't deserve the big stage, start averaging big crowd numbers before asking for such a slot IMO, a Collingwood-Carlton game would probably attract a crowd of 95k (from 2016), IMO a GF game would become bigger than Anzac Day and we need our blue chip teams to play in it.

The AFL run a business not a competition. At the end of the day the decision will be purely based on and for commercial reasons. Therefore, I can't see the dogs, Melb, north or the saints getting the gig unfortunately.

I see it the opposite way. Good Friday is the only day during the AFL season where a football lover's alternative options are either incredibly limited, or non-existent, depending on how you feel about some of the other sporting codes. Carlton v Essendon/Collingwood might get 90+ on Good Friday, but it's probably getting 75+ on Easter Saturday anyway. I'd suggest that any two of Bulldogs/St Kilda/North Melbourne/Melbourne would probably get 60+, perhaps doubling what they'd get if they played on the Saturday. Practically every member would go, partly because they realise that if the Good Friday game is played in front of 35k, there goes their club's claim on it being a permanent fixture. Neutrals (especially MCC/AFL) would also turn up in big numbers...I'd almost certainly go. And if the two clubs happened to be good at the same time, that would increase the crowd again. The TV broadcast would get huge ratings. Get a few extra trains and trams organised and you're all set.

I'm not sure how I'd pick between Bulldogs/North/St Kilda (I'd have Melbourne as the fourth option, due to them already having Queen's Birthday), but I guess there's no reason you couldn't rotate it, so each plays the fixture two out of every three years. Let's make it happen.

Well, your attitude doesn't suggest one open to 'enlightenment', but...

I don't think "should" comes into it. If it does, "first come, best dressed" qualifies just as much. Why should Collingwood get another chance at exposure denied to other clubs, thus exacerbating inequality of opportunity and inhibiting the overall health of the competition? For you it's about biggest crowd, most money. With opportunities like this for North Melbourne, it will help grow our fan base over time. Without it, the gap grows.

Attendance numbers are only one consideration when it comes to allocating the game. I doubt, in any case, we'd disappoint, even if we don't get the large numbers Collingwood do.

You're the one who mentioned charity. As someone else said, if that was the (only) motivation, Collingwood could afford to do it without playing the game.

I'm all for clubs getting what they deserve, at this point in time the roos-Dogs don't deserve the big stage, start averaging big crowd numbers before asking for such a slot IMO, a Collingwood-Carlton game would probably attract a crowd of 95k (from 2016), IMO a GF game would become bigger than Anzac Day and we need our blue chip teams to play in it.

how are we meant to increase exposure if every good time slot is given to already big clubs? why would a neutral decide to go for a small club if they always play bad times on foxtel? smaller clubs would still get a very good crowd for these games

Well i generally agree, north and the roos are in the same position overall, its just we made 3 prelims in that time so got a few extra

So your club was rewarded for on field performance rather than being entitled because of equalisation.

Well, your attitude doesn't suggest one open to 'enlightenment', but...

I don't think "should" comes into it. If it does, "first come, best dressed" qualifies just as much. Why should Collingwood get another chance at exposure denied to other clubs, thus exacerbating inequality of opportunity and inhibiting the overall health of the competition? For you it's about biggest crowd, most money. With opportunities like this for North Melbourne, it will help grow our fan base over time. Without it, the gap grows.

Attendance numbers are only one consideration when it comes to allocating the game. I doubt, in any case, we'd disappoint, even if we don't get the large numbers Collingwood do.

You're the one who mentioned charity. As someone else said, if that was the (only) motivation, Collingwood could afford to do it without playing the game.

The current big 4 Melbourne clubs didn't become big because of television exposure, your club had the same opportunities as we did, I'm sorry but the vast majority of AFL fans would find a Dogs v North game very underwhelming, I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but your 2 clubs are probably bottom 3 in the support stakes for Melbourne clubs, and the reason your clubs aren't popular has absolutely nothing to do with lack of television exposure.

The current big 4 Melbourne clubs didn't become big because of television exposure, your club had the same opportunities as we did, I'm sorry but the vast majority of AFL fans would find a Dogs v North game very underwhelming, I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but your 2 clubs are probably bottom 3 in the support stakes for Melbourne clubs, and the reason your clubs aren't popular has absolutely nothing to do with lack of television exposure.

You seem to be under the impression neutrals somehow like to watch Collingwood v Carlton v Essendon v Richmond constantly. Pssst we don't.

It's one of a multitude of reasons.

I think we need to give the lesser clubs some blockbusters as well.

At the end of the day, while the big clubs own monopoly's on the blockbusters, the small clubs are going to stay small and the big clubs are going to have a bigger gap between the 2.

I have honestly thought its actually time to put a bidding process on Blockbuster games, if another club is prepared to pay more for Anzac day than Essendon and Collingwood they get it, but as Collingwood and Essendon have Anzac day currently they can match the offer if they want to. These funds are then shared equally between the other 16 clubs, this way the big clubs are not getting a mountain of extra profits from big games as they are sharing it amongst all clubs.

Back