The "Annual" Good Friday football discussion thread

Are you happy for football to be played on Good Friday?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It should change every year.

The 4 preliminary finals teams should get the right to play. The team that wins, get to host the game. This year would be...

Game one in the Thursday night - Hawthorn vs Geelong (MCG)
The second preliminary final on the Good Friday - Fremantle vs Sydney (Perth)

And then ANZAC day should be a grand final rematch - winner get the home game.

A few points.

1. There should obviously be a game or games on Good Friday. The fact it a religious holiday has nothing to do with having a football game

2. The game has enormous potential for a huge crowd. Last year in the NRL South Sydney and Canterbury played in front of 55,000 on Good Friday. That's about double what they would have drawn in any normal timeslot.

3. The game needs to feature at least one "big" club. A match between North Melbourne and the Bulldogs is utterly ridiculous, for such a potentially high profile timeslot. One small club can be involved, playing against a bigger club.

4. If North Melbourne are involved, as they probably deserve to be, they should play either Carlton or Essendon. (Collingwood already play on two public holidays)

5. The match should be played at the MCG. Point 2 above, shows the potential of the crowd. Etihad most probably wouldn't be big enough for a game that would probably attract double the attendance of what it would get on a regular day.

6. The fact that Essendon have the Dreamtime game is not a reason for the Bombers to not play on Good Friday. The Dreamtime game is just a normal Saturday night match. It is not significant, other than the fact that the pre-match entertainment is Aboriginally themed. It is not played on a public holiday, and the fact that it generates a huge crowd has solely to do with the large followings of Essendon and Richmond. If playing on a regular Saturday night at 7:40 is considered a blockbuster, then North Melbourne play 4 such games this year.

7. The match should be a sole Foxtel game, so that it does not interfere with Channel 7's coverage of the Good Friday appeal.

8. It should be played during the afternoon at the MCG (say, North Melbourne vs Essendon) with potentially a match at Etihad during the evening between say, the Bulldogs and Carlton, or interstate between say, Porth Adelaide vs Geelong/Hawthorn/Richmond. Both of the Good Friday matches to be solely Foxtel games.

Round one next year. Times are EST. Five Foxtel games, and 4 free-to-air as per any other round. Slight tweak with the Friday night match not on free-to-air, just for this round. I've opened with Melbourne vs Collingwood so it would cease to be on the Queens Birthday. I'm sick of it, and so is everyone else. It offers nothing on the Queens Birthday that several other clashes wouldn't be able to replicate or exceed, and the Demons performances don't warrant it anyway.

Brisbane have been given the heave-ho from their Easter Thursday match too. Time to change that Thursday match up. Port deserve it, based on their last couple of years. Right Port fans?

Thursday
Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn (AO) 7:40.......................Channel 7 and Foxtel

Good Friday
North Melbourne vs Essendon (MCG) 2:10.................Foxtel
Western Bulldogs vs Carlton (Etihad) 7:40.................Foxtel

Saturday
Sydney vs Gold Coast (SCG) 1:40............................Foxtel
Brisbane vs GWS (Gabba) 4:40...............................Foxtel
Melbourne vs Collingwood 3:20...............................Channel 7 and Foxtel

Sunday
St.Kilda vs Fremantle (Etihad) 7:40..........................Channel 7 and Foxtel
West Coast vs Adelaide (Sub) 4:40...........................Foxtel

Monday
Richmond vs Geelong (MCG) 3:20............................Channel 7 and Foxtel

Last edited:
Round one next year. Times are EST. Five Foxtel games, and 4 free-to-air as per any other round. Slight tweak with the Friday night match not on free-to-air, just for this round. I've opened with Melbourne vs Collingwood so it would cease to be on the Queens Birthday. I'm sick of it, and so is everyone else. It offers nothing on the Queens Birthday that several other clashes wouldn't be able to replicate or exceed, and the Demons performances don't warrant it anyway.

Brisbane have been given the heave-ho from their Easter Thursday match too. Time to change that Thursday match up. Port deserve it, based on their last couple of years. Right Port fans?

Thursday
Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn (AO) 7:40.......................Channel 7 and Foxtel

Good Friday
North Melbourne vs Essendon (MCG) 2:10.................Foxtel
Western Bulldogs vs Carlton (Etihad) 7:40.................Foxtel

Saturday
Sydney vs Gold Coast (SCG) 1:40............................Foxtel
Brisbane vs GWS (Gabba) 4:40...............................Foxtel
Melbourne vs Collingwood 3:20...............................Channel 7 and Foxtel

Sunday
St.Kilda vs Fremantle (Etihad) 7:40..........................Channel 7 and Foxtel
West Coast vs Adelaide (Sub) 4:40...........................Foxtel

Monday
Richmond vs Geelong (MCG) 3:20............................Channel 7 and Foxtel

Why do Hawthorn and Geelong lose their Easter Monday clash?

I'm not to fussed either way about footy on Good Friday. There are many days throughout the year without footy, and this is one of them. Deal with it. Those saying they are bored both A-league and super 15's is on TV right now.

Problem is people feel Good Friday would need to be a blockbuster game and therefore must contain Collingwood, Essendon etc etc.

If they did go with Good Friday I would like to see a lower financially supported club involved. The additional exposure this would provide would be priceless. I'm guessing North Melbourne and Carlton will get the slot. Let's hope it's not the usual teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does there really have to be a Good Friday in a secular society?

Great idea.

Let the Christians take their days - GF, Easter Monday and Xmas days as additional paid religious leave. Everyone else can work them. That way shops and other business can stay open.

Similar to the way other religious holidays are celebrated in Australia.

Won't get up though. Australians love their public holidays . Hell, one of the reasons many people voted against a republic was because they were concerned they would lose the Queens birthday public holiday. All the republicans needed to do was assure the masses there would be a republic day in lieu of this and the royals wouldn't be on our shores today.

Why do Hawthorn and Geelong lose their Easter Monday clash?

The AFL shouldn't be scheduling the same teams in the same timeslots every year.

I know I'll be called a hypocrite for suggesting that Essendon vs Collingwood should stay, but that is different. That match gives the AFL something that no other two clubs can provide. A sell-out crowd, and the years biggest TV ratings for a home and away game.

These other "annual" matches (Rich vs Carl on Thursday, Haw vs gee on Easter Monday, St.Kilda vs Carlton on Monday night after Mother's day, Melbourne vs Coll on Queen's Birthday) offer the AFL nothing that several other combinations couldn't replicate or exceed.

Anzac day between Essendon and Collingwood offers the AFL something that no other combination of teams could replicate or exceed.

Melbourne vs Collingwood on Queen's Birthday in particular has jumped the shark. So has Carlton vs Richmond on the Thursday night. Change it up a bit.

The AFL shouldn't be scheduling the same teams in the same timeslots every year.

I know I'll be called a hypocrite for suggesting that Essendon vs Collingwood should stay, but that is different. That match gives the AFL something that no other two clubs can provide. A sell-out crowd, and the years biggest TV ratings for a home and away game.

These other "annual" matches (Rich vs Carl on Thursday, Haw vs gee on Easter Monday, St.Kilda vs Carlton on Monday night after Mother's day, Melbourne vs Coll on Queen's Birthday) offer the AFL nothing that several other combinations couldn't replicate or exceed.

Anzac day between Essendon and Collingwood offers the AFL something that no other combination of teams could replicate or exceed.

Melbourne vs Collingwood on Queen's Birthday in particular has jumped the shark. So has Carlton vs Richmond on the Thursday night. Change it up a bit.

7f7324681d045aafcff703c693911438.jpg

What are you suggesting? That Hawthorn vs carlton (for instance) could get 90,000 at the MCG?

It cant.

Essendon and Collingwood are the only two teams that paired up, can get sell-out crowd at the MCG for a home and away game.

That said, I don't personally care about playing on Anzac day. I've missed only 3 Essendon matches in Melbourne over the last 18 seasons. I go no matter what versus whoever. But I can understand why the AFL would keep it in the same slot.

The other "annual" matches need a change up. That much is obvious.

Anzac Day is not the second biggest day on the football calendar and I"m sick of people saying it is. Every final is far more important for a start. For the vast majority of non Essendon /Collingwood footy fans their team Versus anyone is more important.
It's the biggest HaA game, nowhere near a final
What are you suggesting? That Hawthorn vs carlton (for instance) could get 90,000 at the MCG?

It cant.

Essendon and Collingwood are the only two teams that paired up, can get sell-out crowd at the MCG for a home and away game.

That said, I don't personally care about playing on Anzac day. I've missed only 3 Essendon matches in Melbourne over the last 18 seasons. I go no matter what versus whoever. But I can understand why the AFL would keep it in the same slot.

The other "annual" matches need a change up. That much is obvious.

Collingwood-Carlton would be just as successful on Anzac Day.

If today wasn't enough evidence to play a game of footy, then I don't know what is. What a boring ass public holiday.. I was so bord I watched the friggen Hobbit on foxtell!! Arrgg!

The hobbit!!
Yep, it's bloody boring alright, I got stuck into the garden lol, and I hate the garden.

The AFL is all about maximising crowds
They will end up with Two Top Ranking AFL clubs getting involved and justify the decision as doing the best thing for the game. :thumbsu:

Thus growing the Money Pot for all

Could you imagine the potential for untold embarrassment if 15,000 people (or less) turned up to Etihad Stadium if a couple of "Nothing Clubs" were to play?

The AFL simply couldn't let that happen.

Back