The "Annual" Good Friday football discussion thread

Are you happy for football to be played on Good Friday?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe Collingwood and Essendon wouldn't need to subsidise the smaller clubs if the smaller clubs were given the chance to expose themselves with a marquee match and make some money. More equalisation will be needed otherwise.

Exactly!!! The thing is that Essendon and Collingwood get out of it cheap, paying that money, how much money do they make on extra sponsorship, extra memberships, extra gate takings, this is sustainable money, the compensation money the Bulldogs, St Kilda and others get is not sustainable.

Lock in Hawthorn/Geelong for Good Friday 2015 and beyond. Two big clubs, proven rivals, would do the occasion justice.

Alternatively bring in Carlton who at this stage don't have a dedicated blockbuster game.

A successful St.Kilda should get a look in down the track.

I think I speak for everyone when I break it to you that the bolded is absolute crap. No-one in Victoria gives a s**t about Essendon, Collingwood, or Carlton when they are down the bottom of the ladder, unless their team happens to be playing them on the weekend. Same as every other club.

Very arguably. I guess it depends on whether you consider a large crowd to be more important than a good game and/or the multitude of games that are played throughout the season between genuine premiership contenders. 19 seasons have come and gone since the first Anzac Day match. In 13 of those, one of the teams didn't make the finals, in a further two neither of them made finals and in three of the remaining four years, one of the teams just scraped into eighth. Both teams haven't been premiership contenders at the same time, pretty much since Anzac Day started, a tradition that looks to continue this year.

Again, I hate to break it to you, but I go to Anzac Day every year and for me it's an excuse to catch up with friends. Generally speaking, I couldn't care less about the game.
Then North and St Kilda would be playing, based on last year :D
Rubbish. Don't Lose sight of the fact Essendon and Collingwood go a long way to subsidise the smaller clubs as it is. Forget equalisation, we already have it. These are the clubs that the TV networks pay the big bucks to televise. They pull the ratings, TV patmys the rights that ultimately keep the competition afloat. Sponsorship ditto. You just want even more equalization..
Lock in Hawthorn/Geelong for Good Friday 2015 and beyond. Two big clubs, proven rivals, would do the occasion justice.

Alternatively bring in Carlton who at this stage don't have a dedicated blockbuster game.

A successful St.Kilda should get a look in down the track.

I keep saying, would be substantially smaller than easter monday

No team should have ownership over any game regardless how long they've had it (i.e.ANZAC Day) or been lobbying for it (North/Good Friday). Teams should earn the blockbusters with performances over a 2 year period.

Apparently we don't deserve footy on Good Friday. We deserve the Agro puppet to be pulled out of retirement.

I like Agro... but needs to be on a late night talk show as the host's side kick so his adult humour can shine. That is when he is at his best.

Or make Agro the boundary rider for the Good Friday game.

Gonna be Carlton v North at Etihad I reckon.

North having been pushing the Good Friday game for a long time. Has to be their day. Carlton also I think. North V Carlton at Etihad sounds about right. Pies & Bombers have enough blockbuster games. Ed was being an ass when waffling on about this should be played by big clubs. He does not speak for us all. The Roos & Blues deserve first crack at it. If they don't do the day justice as far as crowds & publicity for the good Friday appeal go, then we can look at alternative arrangements then.

North having been pushing the Good Friday game for a long time. Has to be their day. Carlton also I think. North V Carlton at Etihad sounds about right. Pies & Bombers have enough blockbuster games. Ed was being an ass when waffling on about this should be played by big clubs. He does not speak for us all. The Roos & Blues deserve first crack at it. If they don't do the day justice as far as crowds & publicity for the good Friday appeal go, then we can look at alternative arrangements then.

Carlton is not a big club?

Carlton is not a big club?

Yeah of course they are. But in fairness they have been pushing for Good Friday as well. The Roos & Blues have been lobbying for this game for years. I think they both deserve first crack.

Give it to North and the Bulldogs. They are the clubs closest to the Royal Children's Hospital.

Hawthorn and Geelong can stay on Easter Monday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give it to North and the Bulldogs.

The problem is that they won't just pull a big crowd.

Could you imagine this

2015: Say 35,000 turn up

North play like they did yesterday

2016: The crowd drops to 28,000

2017: Crowd down to 26,000. You have a game that even the AFL no longer supports

The live TV coverage drops off, and eventually and quietly the game no longer is scheduled in 2018

The problem is that they won't just pull a big crowd.

Could you imagine this

2015: Say 35,000 turn up

North play like they did yesterday

2016: The crowd drops to 28,000

2017: Crowd down to 26,000. You have a game that even the AFL no longer supports

The live TV coverage drops off, and eventually and quietly the game no longer is scheduled in 2018
1. Big teams have played badly in blockbusters before. The crowds don't just drop off. A year is a long time in footy
2. Imagine if you gave it to Carlton how they are going or Essendon how they played last night
3. The AFL wouldn't just pull the game, they'd pull the teams and re brand it

Half the teams play in Melbourne, half do not.

But for some reason it's been decided a game should be limited to half the comp?
Conveniently not acklowdging

1. Good Friday Appeal is in Melb
2. The benefits of half the teams being here is that 2 teams fans (and neutrals) can turn up
3. The footy media revolves around Melb, Victorian footy fans have a lot more interest in games of 2 Vic clubs

Even when they are good I don't think anyone is keen for Bris, GWS or GC to host a marquee game. Sydney, the SA and WA teams can state there case. If the WA teams want it I'd advise them to build a new stadium first.

1. Big teams have played badly in blockbusters before. The crowds don't just drop off. A year is a long time in footy
2. Imagine if you gave it to Carlton how they are going or Essendon how they played last night
3. The AFL wouldn't just pull the game, they'd pull the teams and re brand it

IMO your argument is somewhat flawed.

You see.....Big Teams have Big Supporter Bases.
It might be just that ......they could compensate the loss of supporters from a down year, with other supporters of the same Big Club who come the following year in effect to take the place of the ones that didn't turn up.

Thus keeping up the Big Crowds

Conveniently not acklowdging

1. Good Friday Appeal is in Melb
2. The benefits of half the teams being here is that 2 teams fans (and neutrals) can turn up
3. The footy media revolves around Melb, Victorian footy fans have a lot more interest in games of 2 Vic clubs

Even when they are good I don't think anyone is keen for Bris, GWS or GC to host a marquee game. Sydney, the SA and WA teams can state there case. If the WA teams want it I'd advise them to build a new stadium first.
There are three games now played on Anzac Day. I've got no problem if more than one game is played on Good Friday. Why should there only be one game? As long as the game in Melbourne is televised free to air into Melbourne, then other games played interstate are fine with me.

I don't see the point of playing two low supported teams of low neutral interest in front of a small crowd..just to "build their brand".
I would like to see revolving right to this game though - with a game between two competitive teams. If one of these teams is North or Dogs, then that's fine.

IMO your argument is somewhat flawed.

You see.....Big Teams have Big Supporter Bases.
It might be just that ......they could compensate the loss of supporters from a down year, with other supporters of the same Big Club who come the following year in effect to take the place of the ones that didn't turn up.

Thus keeping up the Big Crowds
Obviously. But that doesn't make all of your points less flawed. Bulldogs and North combined still have over 60,000 members and supporter bases of probably over 100k each who go to games every year. The game will likely be at Etihad due to the cricket world cup so the capacity is only 50k. I just see very little to lose giving 2 of the Victorian clubs without a marquee game first shot at it.

Happy for it to be noth Melbourne and Carlton. The first year tho I would like it to be played at the mcg just to see how many people will turn up. Obviously if both teams were winning you would get 60,000! But with the way Carlton have been performing the crowd would be 40,000! But I would give it too north and Carlton for 5 years and see how the attendances go. If they don't average 50,000 over a 5 year period I would give it to another club.

I don't see the point of playing two low supported teams of low neutral interest in front of a small crowd..just to "build their brand".
I would like to see revolving right to this game though - with a game between two competitive teams. If one of these teams is North or Dogs, then that's fine.
The issue is it's now been several years since one of St Kilda, North, WB or Melb have been at top team. What chance is it they qualify. At the same time all the big Victorian clubs keep their marquee games year after year regardless of performance.

It seems supporters of big clubs are incredibly opposed to giving small clubs a chance even though year after year they get a heap of opportunities to maintain their free to air big game exposure.

Back